Clutch Engageing Late

TC Febs

Reaction score
Hi folks, when I release clutch lever on my 2014 gs clutch does not catch until lever is very nearly fully released. I can live with it as I'm used to it, I have no clutch slip whatsoever. It would be nice if it caught a little earlier. Just wondering is this normal, the bike has only covered 7,900 miles & is under BMW extended warranty. It does need to go to a dealer as cruise control has started to disengage itself of late.
Any comments would be appreciated

Has it always been like that, or has it gradually gone that way?

Many moons ago, when we were lads... some would sneakily adjust another mates clutch so when they tried to set off not much happened :green gri

Hi folks, when I release clutch lever on my 2014 gs clutch does not catch until lever is very nearly fully released. I can live with it as I'm used to it, I have no clutch slip whatsoever. It would be nice if it caught a little earlier. Just wondering is this normal, the bike has only covered 7,900 miles & is under BMW extended warranty. It does need to go to a dealer as cruise control has started to disengage itself of late.
Any comments would be appreciated
You need to measure from end of lever body to lever point where clutch engages/disengages. There's a minimum, but can't remember what it is.

Also could be due a fluid change although that normally makes engagement distance variable (erratic) rather than shorter.

Silly one, you have checked the wee turney thing for clutch lever adjustment hasn't been tampered with by kids etc ?

Advrider has some tips/hints if you Google it.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Maybe be a silly question but have you tried the adjuster to reduce the hand span (little black wheel on the end of the lever)

Yes I've checked the adjuster & it's fine. More than anything just wondering if this was normal on other members bikes, I can live with it but would be nice if clutch would bite a little sooner

Yes I've checked the adjuster & it's fine. More than anything just wondering if this was normal on other members bikes, I can live with it but would be nice if clutch would bite a little sooner

My clutch disengages early in the lever travel, that is as to say the bite point is nowhere near the bars. It's impossible to say whether your clutch feels like mine or others' clutches without direct comparison, but you also mentioned that your cruise control is dropping out - that definitely isn't something that I've experienced.

My clutch disengages early in the lever travel, that is as to say the bite point is nowhere near the bars. It's impossible to say whether your clutch feels like mine or others' clutches without direct comparison, but you also mentioned that your cruise control is dropping out - that definitely isn't something that I've experienced.

For the cruise dropping out, check your brake light switches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the cruise dropping out, check your brake light switches

In fact, there’s probably a switch on the clutch somewhere that would make the cruise drop too. Could be connected

In fact, there’s probably a switch on the clutch somewhere that would make the cruise drop too. Could be connected

There definitely is a switch on the clutch to disengage the cruise control, Would suspect that the two problems are related.

Thanks for your reply's I'll let BMW sort it as bike is under extended warranty

Back
Top Bottom