First few 100 miles on a 2018 GSA + TFT

rjsmith26

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am only a few 100 miles into bike but thought I would share thoughts / findings so far.

I have been on GSA's since 2009 when I had a hexed until 2015, in 2015 went LC with GSAP and have just changed to a 2018 GSA + TFT.

Am sure you have read lots of reviews / videos etc so here is my feedback on bits I did not know about or expect.

In general as expected the bike is a fairly big step forward on the 15 bike. The gearbox and GSAP now probably works as you would have expected it should have when it was 1st launched. It still takes some learning but it really is nice now.

Before ordering this new bike I test rode a KTM1290SAS which I did like, the shifter on it was much better than my 15GSA, but I was not blown away - it was good but for me had quite a delay built into it - maybe the dealer could adjust - but it certainly was not as slick in my opinion as the GSAP on the 18 GSA.

Before ordering the 18GSA I test rode just a GS Rallye as that was all the dealer had available. This was great but I was concerned the suspension for me felt a bit like riding a plank at times. I was reassured it would be better on the GSA and a major step forward. So far - yes its quite different and not board like - the best way I can describe it is - it basically feels like your on a flying carpet - in the main this is great, for me a couple of thins to get used to.

a) I am tall 6'4" - I have always ridden with seat in high position - but the bike feels almost a bit higher in auto and height feels like it varies as you come to a stop, so putting a foot down is/has been a bit un nerving as the ground isn't always where you expect it to be - if that makes sense. Its not an issue - just different.

b) One thing I could not get my head around initially but feel like I now understand - the self levelling suspension - especially in Dynamic Pro mode seems to eliminate rear end dip when you turn the gas on, in the main not an issue - but for me - winding on the gas after a left turn or after a tight roundabout - it feels like where you would expect the steering angle to change as power is turned on - this does not happen with the new suspension. This sounds minor but quite noticeable (well for me anyway).

Other noticeable items - My 15GSA was running on Avon Trail riders, going back to Anakee3's - wow they are loud. Looking fwd to going back to something a bit quieter.

Other nice bits - TFT Cruise - I use CC quite a lot - and being able to see what speed it is set to makes using resume a feature I did not use on my pre TFT bike. On the old bike it was either on or off and I know you can push more speed into cruise or dial it out of the cruise setting - it felt a bit of a faff and if you are using CC in a speed controlled zone it was not ideal. The TFT cruise allowing you to see what its set to before re-engaging and also when adding/removing speed from the setting and seeing this in the cruise icon on TFT is much nicer (its basically what you would get in a modern car).

I have fitted/bolted most of my previous bits - Givi Handguard extenders, Mudsling front and rear, Baglux tank cover. As well as these have also fitted :-

Extra power point - direct battery - I tend to run in winter with heated gear which leaves me short of power - so a 2nd Hella socket for extra items and also to allow direct battery power for compressor etc is useful.

Centre stand protection - with the pain of the shot blasting of paint/rust on the centre stand a simple plate with alloy P clips to defend against damage from day 1 is my defence - will be interesting to see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 1,490
  • IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,512
  • IMG_3605.jpeg
    IMG_3605.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_3606.jpeg
    IMG_3606.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,513
Sounds nice.

I like the TFT benefits, they sound good, but unfortunately I'm 6 months too early and my 17 reg bike didn't come with it.

So hey ho, I'll have to wait a couple of years and upgrade to whatever is about then.

In the meantime I'll continue with my analogue BMW designed 'plausable deniability' option, sometimes its best not know the details of whats going on underneath you.

Sounds good. It’s a shame that just as they iron all the bugs out, BMW has to then release a new model with new bugs, and start all over again.

Nice review. I have just upgraded from a 2016 GS TB to a GSA Rallye. Of course, and like others have said, it’s what I really wanted in the first place!!! (Just didn’t know it). Maybe, but it was too big a leap from a Yamaha FZ1S and at the time I bought the GS I didn’t like all of the scaffolding, massive tank etc on the GSA.

Then of course I got so used to the GS that to jump on the GSA I didn’t notice the size and certainly didn’t feel it. Those boys at BMW know what they’re doing by loaning me the GSA as a service bike. They knew I’d be going up the chain - convinced. Any way at 6ft 2in the GSA was no big deal.

So, much to my ‘none surprise’, I put my money where my mouth is and bought the GSA+ TFT. My summary view is this...I can’t believe how smoother engine, gearbox and quick shifter is compared to 2016 GS..and I mean considerably different. Oh yes, and all that scaffolding stuff doesn’t bother me in the slightest now. In fact blends in quite nicely with the shopping trolleys at Tesco.:thumb

Nice review. I have just upgraded from a 2016 GS TB to a GSA Rallye. Of course, and like others have said, it’s what I really wanted in the first place!!! (Just didn’t know it). Maybe, but it was too big a leap from a Yamaha FZ1S and at the time I bought the GS I didn’t like all of the scaffolding, massive tank etc on the GSA.

Then of course I got so used to the GS that to jump on the GSA I didn’t notice the size and certainly didn’t feel it. Those boys at BMW know what they’re doing by loaning me the GSA as a service bike. They knew I’d be going up the chain - convinced. Any way at 6ft 2in the GSA was no big deal.

So, much to my ‘none surprise’, I put my money where my mouth is and bought the GSA+ TFT. My summary view is this...I can’t believe how smoother engine, gearbox and quick shifter is compared to 2016 GS..and I mean considerably different. Oh yes, and all that scaffolding stuff doesn’t bother me in the slightest now. In fact blends in quite nicely with the shopping trolleys at Tesco.:thumb

Yep but there are so many of them parked in front of Costa Coffee, you never find your own bike...............:jes

Sounds good. It’s a shame that just as they iron all the bugs out, BMW has to then release a new model with new bugs, and start all over again.

Fair comment but i would hope with all the improvements over the years from 2013 onwards BMW would have invested enough R and D time to develop the new model ( this new 2019 version) to ensure the addition power and parts are still based on the knowledge gained over the last 5 years.
BMW are a great brand and take improvements seriously and i feel that they will produce a great new bike.
I was one of the original Beta testers and went thro several engines , gearboxes , clutches , cams and bikes but still feel the GS is the best out there for me and i will be inline to take delivery of the new engine bike as soon as it comes out.
I will beta test again but I'm bloody sure it will be better this time as they took an old design , improved it and kept on getting it better and created a worthy and function bike. IMHO

Fair comment but i would hope with all the improvements over the years from 2013 onwards BMW would have invested enough R and D time to develop the new model ( this new 2019 version) to ensure the addition power and parts are still based on the knowledge gained over the last 5 years.
BMW are a great brand and take improvements seriously and i feel that they will produce a great new bike.
I was one of the original Beta testers and went thro several engines , gearboxes , clutches , cams and bikes but still feel the GS is the best out there for me and i will be inline to take delivery of the new engine bike as soon as it comes out.
I will beta test again but I'm bloody sure it will be better this time as they took an old design , improved it and kept on getting it better and created a worthy and function bike. IMHO

We shall see. I’ll watch the beta testers this time, rather than be one.

Glad you like it.

My 18 GS is noticeably better than my 14.

2018-01-13%2016.49.20%20-%20Copy.jpg

Thanks, all useful, I’m trying to avoid going to CW and test riding a new GSA as I’m hoping to hang in until the second wave of 1250s are out.

But I’m weak in the face of a shiny new bike.

Thanks, all useful, I’m trying to avoid going to CW and test riding a new GSA as I’m hoping to hang in until the second wave of 1250s are out.

But I’m weak in the face of a shiny new bike.

Shiney new bike always wins.

You can show fuel bars on the top line or miles to fuel up by pressing the top menu button as long as you have selected these in settings.:thumby:

You can show fuel bars on the top line or miles to fuel up by pressing the top menu button as long as you have selected these in settings.:thumby:

Cue a number of members running out of petrol, blaming BMW for not having the gauge constantly displayed! :p

Cue a number of members running out of petrol, blaming BMW for not having the gauge constantly displayed! :p

You can, permanently on the top. Nutty we rely on you to be an early adopter of this shit. Get with the program and get one :thumb

Back
Top Bottom