Probable R1100GS electrical prob...?

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My hard done by 11GS started cutting out on the commute the other day and finally died... All circuits seemed OK, sidestand switch, kill switch, and the fuel pump seemed to be priming... I thought a dodgy ignition wire as this has happened before or the dreaded HES...

Recovered to home and started OK... Then better look today... Bike starts, warms up and then starts cutting out again... Restarts with a bit of persistence but ditto... Fizzing sound under/around tank/ flickering rev counter and dash lights with ignition on and a circuit of the bike with the ear on alert... Fiddled with wires and checked relays... not in there... Fizzing is intermittent but needed to pin down problem... Then I manage to start the bike again but only on LH pot... This runs Ok on LH and fizzing stops... I am guessing the coil has shorted as coil failing on one pot has happened on a previous bike... My experience of HES is its works or it doesn't without much messing in between... I have not had a coil failure on both pots together but the coil on the GS seems a single coil with twin outputs and is "wasted spark"...

Waddyreakon... My GS's have never left me stranded before and the worst of it is digging around shows that it needs a tidy up big style...:D And the trip had to be rescued by my ST11... Can the GS live with such shame...:D

My hard done by 11GS started cutting out on the commute the other day and finally died... All circuits seemed OK, sidestand switch, kill switch, and the fuel pump seemed to be priming... I thought a dodgy ignition wire as this has happened before or the dreaded HES...

Recovered to home and started OK... Then better look today... Bike starts, warms up and then starts cutting out again... Restarts with a bit of persistence but ditto... Fizzing sound under/around tank/ flickering rev counter and dash lights with ignition on and a circuit of the bike with the ear on alert... Fiddled with wires and checked relays... not in there... Fizzing is intermittent but needed to pin down problem... Then I manage to start the bike again but only on LH pot... This runs Ok on LH and fizzing stops... I am guessing the coil has shorted as coil failing on one pot has happened on a previous bike... My experience of HES is its works or it doesn't without much messing in between... I have not had a coil failure on both pots together but the coil on the GS seems a single coil with twin outputs and is "wasted spark"...

Waddyreakon... My GS's have never left me stranded before and the worst of it is digging around shows that it needs a tidy up big style...:D And the trip had to be rescued by my ST11... Can the GS live with such shame...:D
When in doubt; FIRE

On a less serious note, is it the engine that cuts out, or that you lose all electrics ?

I'm assuming engine loss, I'd agree in general about hes although they can be temperature sensitive.

So something that fails even though bike isn't being ridden but engine running.

Unlikely to be wiring/connectors (but longer term cleaning filling with silicon grease is worthwhile) so I'd leave them as is at present. First place I'd look, if you can 'borrow' another good coil and see if it resolves issue, then hes.

It does suggest something going oc due to heat. But I could be wrong.

Whatever you do, be methodical, it ain't called electrikary for nothing.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

When in doubt; FIRE

On a less serious note, is it the engine that cuts out, or that you lose all electrics ?

I'm assuming engine loss, I'd agree in general about hes although they can be temperature sensitive.

So something that fails even though bike isn't being ridden but engine running.

Unlikely to be wiring/connectors (but longer term cleaning filling with silicon grease is worthwhile) so I'd leave them as is at present. First place I'd look, if you can 'borrow' another good coil and see if it resolves issue, then hes.

It does suggest something going oc due to heat. But I could be wrong.

Whatever you do, be methodical, it ain't called electrikary for nothing.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yip, thanks for advice... Had a prod around on the wiring etc to no effect... Bike now reliably starts on 1 so perhaps coil short leading to rh failure... I had 3 11gs's before and numerous other BMW's and usually the connectors are strong... Only had a sidestand switch, coil, and botched ignition barrel give probs before... Either side of the road fix or limp home but never a stranding...��

I need a couple of things far Motorworks so will see if they still do 2nd hand SOR...

Did have HES failure on an airhead but that just stopped and had no spark so easy enough diagnosis...

All your symptoms point to the HES starting to fail..

The "fizzing" sound - tick.
Flickering rev counter - tick.

The HES doesn't "work or not". it can and does fail when hot and then starts and runs normally until hot again then fails. The periods between failing can be varied, but tend to get shorter as the time passes, both recovery time and failing time.

Usual scenario is the bike stops, the rider calls the AA (other breakdown companies are available).
AA arrives after a long wait, the bike has cooled down and starts and runs normally.
You both scratch your heads and ponder the meaning of life while swopping anecdotes, then wave the nice AA man off, call the deal lady wife and tell her to put the dinner on as you'll soon be home and start off on your way.

Five Minutes later bike stops again. :D

All your symptoms point to the HES starting to fail..

The "fizzing" sound - tick.
Flickering rev counter - tick.

The HES doesn't "work or not". it can and does fail when hot and then starts and runs normally until hot again then fails. The periods between failing can be varied, but tend to get shorter as the time passes, both recovery time and failing time.

Usual scenario is the bike stops, the rider calls the AA (other breakdown companies are available).
AA arrives after a long wait, the bike has cooled down and starts and runs normally.
You both scratch your heads and ponder the meaning of life while swopping anecdotes, then wave the nice AA man off, call the deal lady wife and tell her to put the dinner on as you'll soon be home and start off on your way.

Five Minutes later bike stops again. :D

Thanks Steptoe... Much appreciated... Been giving the Gs a clean today in sunny Shetland cos it was shit high with salt n crap... Started on one cyl again then just started ok... 5mins running and its crapped out again... I'll start digging out the HES...�� cheers...

Back
Top Bottom