My Radiator Guards Don't Fit!!!

Bikerking49

Reaction score
Sold my old GSA LC in January and purchased a 2018 model. I took all the old frippery off my old one hoping to put them on my new steed.

Shock horror my very expensive Wunderlich radiator guards don't fit! there is no fixing hole at the top of the radiator.

Long story short I contacted Touratech and asked if any of the 2018 model had changed over the older 2017 model (apart from TFT, suspension, black button on handle bars et.) and they said yes loads! And they were constantly having to refund stuff sent out thinking they would fit 2018 bikes including rad guards.

So I was wondering if anyone else out there had the same problem or more importantly has anyone fitted rad guards to a 2018 bike and if so what make where they.

PS looks like I have some Wunderlich Rad guards for sale now!

Ta:thumb2

Sold my old GSA LC in January and purchased a 2018 model. I took all the old frippery off my old one hoping to put them on my new steed.

Shock horror my very expensive Wunderlich radiator guards don't fit! there is no fixing hole at the top of the radiator.

Long story short I contacted Touratech and asked if any of the 2018 model had changed over the older 2017 model (apart from TFT, suspension, black button on handle bars et.) and they said yes loads! And they were constantly having to refund stuff sent out thinking they would fit 2018 bikes including rad guards.

So I was wondering if anyone else out there had the same problem or more importantly has anyone fitted rad guards to a 2018 bike and if so what make where they.

Don’t the new GSAs come with radiator guards, my GS rallye TE has them.

Had the Rallye GS before so just took it for granted bit of a surprise when I realised it did not have them

My may build 2017 Exclusive has these guards from BMW they are plastic but gives you an idea of fittings, maybe it is similar on 2018 bikes now ????

My may build 2017 Exclusive has these guards from BMW they are plastic but gives you an idea of fittings, maybe it is similar on 2018 bikes now ????

Thanks Smogbog. They look as though they might. Did you get through your deal?

I’ve just fitted Wunderlich rad guards to my 2018 GSA, I had them on my older GSA.
They fit ok, the guard on the off side (same side as battery) has a small bracket supplied that fits to the top of the frame then the guard secures to this additional bracket.
Have you left the bracket on your old bike when you sold it ?

I’ve bought / fitted Altrider rad guards to my 2018 GSA Rallye TE. Fit well.....

Thanks Smogbog. They look as though they might. Did you get through your deal?

Nope bought separate, they are plastic just clip in and screw 10 minute job, think the cost like 12 quid each side

BMW Motorrad Motorcycle Genuine R1200GS Radiator protective grilles

Functional, two-piece radiator grille made from polyamide with 15 % fiber content.

Protects the radiator against flying stones, especially against stones, gravel, mud, dirt etc.

thrown up by the motorcycle in front when riding off-road.

Included:

Radiator protective grille, left

46 63 8 556 647

Radiator protective grille, right

46 63 8 556 648

Fitment:
BMW R 1200 GS 2016, 2017

How ironic that when I first took my 2013 GS TE in for a service, I was told that having radiator guards fitted could invalidate my warranty if the engine developed a fault because BMW did not recommend having any!

I bought the OEM rad guards that fit GS Rallye from my BMW dealer thinking they would fit my GSA Rallye with a little persuasion....ermmm....NO! unless you want to really and I mean 'really' butcher them and then they will only 'sort of fit'....The radiators fit differently on both models.

Good job I don't really go "off road" :rolleyes:

OP had exactly same issue as you when went from a 16 plate to new bike BUT you can easily fir them without securing at the top. The plastic frame that surrounds the rads just needs loosening at bottom and then slide rad guards in place and refit the two bottom screws. Fits fine and secure so no problem to keep what you have

I’ve just fitted Wunderlich rad guards to my 2018 GSA, I had them on my older GSA.
They fit ok, the guard on the off side (same side as battery) has a small bracket supplied that fits to the top of the frame then the guard secures to this additional bracket.
Have you left the bracket on your old bike when you sold it ?
Ah good point, that maybe my problem��. I’ll contact the new owner. Many thanks ����

OP had exactly same issue as you when went from a 16 plate to new bike BUT you can easily fir them without securing at the top. The plastic frame that surrounds the rads just needs loosening at bottom and then slide rad guards in place and refit the two bottom screws. Fits fine and secure so no problem to keep what you have

Good point I’ll try that thanks.:thumb:thumb

Did you have to make them fit (altrider ones)

Nope. Fitted straight out of the box. Got them because they ‘stand out’ from the actual fins of the radiators a bit, and supposedly allow more air flow. They fit into the OEM shrouds. Got them from Adventure bike Rider in Sudbury in Suffolk.

Back
Top Bottom