Adriatic coast

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all.
we are doing a 3 week trip down the Adriatic coast and back, through Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro , Albania and Greece. I understand I will need to buy insurance at the border of Bosnia and most places accept the Euro. Is there anything else I don't know that will catch me out ? . All advice gratefully accepted. :thumb2

The euro is the currency in Greece and Montenegro. However, just as you couldn't use euros in UK, you can't use them in Croatia and they're not legal tender in Albania. No problem as there are ATMs everywhere. Enjoy!

Check with your insurance as they 'MAY' provide a Green Card for all those countries with the exception of Albania where you will have to buy some form of insurance at the border or soon after.
Also best to use a pre paid travel card (supplied by MasterCard or your own bank if possible) and load some Euro on but do take some local currency for coffee and snack stops :thumb. Ride inland Greece away from the coast and you will be amazed at the roads and scenery as it's a very underrated country for riding, the Peloponnese in particular. Look out for roaming packs of dogs in Bosnia in general and for some reason they are particularly bad in Sarajevo.
The roads in Albania range from pristine to hilariously bad and inland Greece can be similar so keep an open mind, also be prepared to get some bad fuel at some point so maybe consider carrying a spare fuel filter...and join ADAC for breakdown cover.
The Balkan countries are fantastic to tour and the people are pretty amazing..you will enjoy :thumb2

The road surfaces in Greece can be very difficult "to read" , bone dry ,hot sunny day and they can still be slippy as feck . Caught out one of our group last Sept , broke a bone , health care , VERY very poor too . Slid about a bit misen on a good looking hot road :eek: ( Annakee 3,s which I normally find very good)

its Europe 1000s of bikers ride there every month. just be normal and you will have a great time. if you need local currency politely ask for someone who can exchange and miraculously you will find someone. Even rufty tufty adventure riders will have a good time. You will not need a tent, cooker, oil, camel back, locks galore or anything more than a normal size petrol tank. normal human beings live in these countries and they live normal lives. try exchanging euros in Uk or any currency and see what happenes. in uncivilized Europe its all quite normal. ride, be polite and feel your mind grow.

Back
Top Bottom