Toolkit for F800 GSA

tticom

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post, so please be gentle.
I'm going on a long trip, 3000 mls + this summer and am trying to get everything I need in advance of leaving.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what tools and sizes to get to build a tool roll?

I've found these off the shelf options, which look good but are quite expensive.

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08-on/cruz-tools-bmw-roll-up-tool-kit

and

https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/tools-/motohansa-bmw-motorcycle-tool-kit/

Also, any constructive advice would be gladly received.

Thanks in advance, tticom...

I suggest you should keep it simple. Just take what you are likely to use. A tubeless puncture repair kit and an air pump are a must (Stop & Go tyre plug kits are excellent as are the Rocky Creek electric pumps). Otherwise your bikes toolkit should suffice in taking wheels off and unbolting panels, fuel tank etc.
No point carrying heavy and expensive tool kits you are unlikely to use. Bungee cords and gorilla tape are useful!

Just a start here, from a widely sold tool kit.

http://jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

Tool Kit - Contents
Spanners
8mm Combination
10mm Combination
12mm Combination
13mm Combination
8'' Adjustable
E10xE12 Torx Box
Allen Keys
5 Pieces
22mm Hex Adapter
Torx Keys
6 Pieces
Socket Set-1/4'
Mini Ratchet
2'' Extension
8mm Socket
10mm Socket
13mm Socket
E8 Torx Socket
Screwdriver
6-in-1
Miscellaneous
Locking Pliers
Electrical Tape
Cable Ties
Mechanics Wire
Threadlock

To the above I would add tyer levers repair kit and enough spanners to remove wheels a mini pump spare tubes and duck tape and a pump. That’s what I carried on my GSA. JJH

Hope you don't feel insulted but....would you know how to use any tool you take? If so, crack on building a tool kit but if not...(and as an example someone having a full tyre removal set up but never having changed one and having no idea where to start ) I'd take the bare essentials and an AA/RAC/ADAC card.

Where's the trip to ? The back of beyond where help will be days away with no phone coverage or Europe where help is always close by ?

3k miles from Edinburgh takes the OP about as far as the Med and back - with a GSA presumably still under warranty, or at least with breakdown cover, then tools for removal of wheels, pump and plugs are about the limit required. And don`t forget the credit card!

Hope you don't feel insulted but....would you know how to use any tool you take? If so, crack on building a tool kit but if not...(and as an example someone having a full tyre removal set up but never having changed one and having no idea where to start ) I'd take the bare essentials and an AA/RAC/ADAC card.

Where's the trip to ? The back of beyond where help will be days away with no phone coverage or Europe where help is always close by ?
Thanks, not insulted in the slightest.
You're absolutely right, I've never changed a tyre or removed a wheel. Nothing has ever gone wrong except a flat tyre once.
I'll make sure I've got European wide breakdown cover and concentrate on packing only what I'll need.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I suggest you should keep it simple. Just take what you are likely to use. A tubeless puncture repair kit and an air pump are a must (Stop & Go tyre plug kits are excellent as are the Rocky Creek electric pumps). Otherwise your bikes toolkit should suffice in taking wheels off and unbolting panels, fuel tank etc.
No point carrying heavy and expensive tool kits you are unlikely to use. Bungee cords and gorilla tape are useful!
My bike has tubes so the wheels would have to come off if I got a puncture. I'll just get breakdown cover I think.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just a start here, from a widely sold tool kit.

http://jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

Tool Kit - Contents
Spanners
8mm Combination
10mm Combination
12mm Combination
13mm Combination
8'' Adjustable
E10xE12 Torx Box
Allen Keys
5 Pieces
22mm Hex Adapter
Torx Keys
6 Pieces
Socket Set-1/4'
Mini Ratchet
2'' Extension
8mm Socket
10mm Socket
13mm Socket
E8 Torx Socket
Screwdriver
6-in-1
Miscellaneous
Locking Pliers
Electrical Tape
Cable Ties
Mechanics Wire
Threadlock

The OP has an 800 GSA - he'd need a 1200 just to cope with the additional weight of that kit! :D

JVB knows his stuff, I'm sure, but that's probably a kit to get you round the world maintaining your bike (and helping others) as you go. 3k on tarmac in Europe is less of a challenge, so that list could stand a fair bit of trimming depending on your intent and ability. Of course, the thing you leave out is the very first thing you then need!

As Smogbob suggests, the list above is a start.
For a European Road trip I'd be thinning it out by looking at each recommended tool and what I might do with it. For example, how many things on your bike need Allen keys and, if any, what size? Don't need a full set of those then, do you. If a particular tool was only needed for, say, performing an oil change, are you likely to do that on your journey? You get the picture. Don't ignore the cable ties, tape, etc, though because they get you from the middle of nowhere to somewhere for a proper fix.

Back
Top Bottom