Indicators

IOM

Reaction score
Having replaced my F650gs twin with the F700gs a couple of years ago I immediately didnt like the fact that the BMW style indicators had been replaced by the single switch type ,some months later I disliked them even more when they packed in and the cluster had to be replaced. £200 please sir! and no its not BMW s problem as you are out of warranty and the fact we fitted cheap crappy indicators in the first place doesnt matter . Now Im really pi**ed off as they have packed in again!! Has anyone else suffered the same problem or been able to solve the issue ? Must point out the original (just out of warranty) item was replaced by a second hand set from Motorworks and it was suggested to me I would be back for another cluster as they had no faith in the lifespan of the switches !! Any info would be gratefully accepted Cheers :beerjug: Hughie

There is a way to replace the microswitches burried in the switch. Ive never done it though. Did you keep the old switch? JJH

There is a way to replace the microswitches burried in the switch. Ive never done it though. Did you keep the old switch? JJH

Yes kept the old switch have it stripped at moment the old one failed on right indicator the later one on left so going to test the switch out by connecting the old one the microswiches are flimsy looking things onto a tissue paper thin printed circuit (real trash ) so not too hopeful of being able to use the good one off the older switch but ha ho suppose not too much to lose just really annoyed that a bike I like so much is being let down by such a small but bloody expensive problem

Good afternoon, yes they are a shit design compared to the old paddle version. A mate of mine was left stranded in Ireland when the starter switch decided to pack in, so its not just confined to the indicator side. Anyway to cut a long story short Graham's motorcycles in Bradford will strip them and re- solder them for around £30, hope this helps

Good afternoon, yes they are a shit design compared to the old paddle version. A mate of mine was left stranded in Ireland when the starter switch decided to pack in, so its not just confined to the indicator side. Anyway to cut a long story short Graham's motorcycles in Bradford will strip them and re- solder them for around £30, hope this helps

Thanks for that fella you dont have any contact details for Grahams do you ?

Just to update the above went to Grahams and Steve repaired the switch for £30 well pleased thanks for the tip off :beerjug:

Just to update the above went to Grahams and Steve repaired the switch for £30 well pleased thanks for the tip off :beerjug:

Is this to be understood that the switchgear issue might be a solder (or lack of such) problem?
I'll keep it mind if ever it should reoccur. :thumby:

Is this to be understood that the switchgear issue might be a solder (or lack of such) problem?
I'll keep it mind if ever it should reoccur. :thumby:

The lad told me moisture gets in switch and corrodes contacts however the repair seemed to be via wire that appeared to replace printed circuit .Truth is I dont really know but it works now and he told me this is a long way from the only one he has ever done

The lad told me moisture gets in switch and corrodes contacts however the repair seemed to be via wire that appeared to replace printed circuit .Truth is I dont really know but it works now and he told me this is a long way from the only one he has ever done

Tnx. I'll keep it in mind, if ever the problem occurs again :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom