Stopover - Chunnel

Badboybez

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know a place to stop for a night near the chunnel with secure bike parking.

Ta

UK or France?

On the way out of the UK I prefer an afternoon Channel crossing then head into France or Belgium. Depending on eventual destination, I have stayed in St Omer (Ibis Budget has secure parking), St Quentin (Hotel Florence secure parking) or Bruges (Martin Hotel has secure parking). All hotels are central to each town with plenty of restaurants nearby.

If you are crossing late in the day then there is an Ibis with secure parking very close to the Tunnel exit. Being in France for breakfast gets you off to an early start and a more relaxed day.

In the UK? I have a mate who lives near the M26/5 junction so stay there.

I tend to stop over on the French side when I come to blighty cos it’s cheaper

Coming down from England I tend to stay in the Kyriad at St Quentin, it’s very handy for the motorway just on the outskirts of town and there are a few chain restaurants nearby for simple grub, parking isn’t closed but it’s out of the way and safe

The Robin Hood B&B in Folkstone.

You can then "experience" the local curry restaurant where you will find the longest human hair in your curry. I was surprised there wasn't a head attached.

As a bonus, you could meet up with Quentin of this parish.

Premier inn Folkestone about two miles from terminal

I stay here http://www.alkhamvalleyview.co.uk

They’ll let you put the bike in the garage, the views are fantastic, they do a cracking full English, and it’s 7 minutes from the tunnel. All for around £40 per night.:beerjug:

As previously asked, which side are you asking about ?
If you're setting off from your Manchester location, why would you stop overnight in this country ?
Ride down after the morning rush hour has finished and cross over around 5pm ish then stay overnight sur le Continent.

DOH - UK side :)

Will check out Alkham Valley

It's for the return leg - last train back to Blighty and want to hit a few places darn south before coming back to MancLand

I once stayed in the Carlton Hotel in Folkestone.
Quirky, offbeat decor and friendly staff.
It's right on the Esplanade and I got it dirt cheap via Booking.com.
It has its own car park at the rear.

I'd definately stay there again. :thumb

Bikers Loft

We always used to stop at the loft on the way back from Chimay every year. But Ivan no longer opens on Monday night; which is not surprising; some years there was only us in there. So now we use the ferry to Ull.:D

Ummmm .... maybe I should start a bikers stop over b&b ...... :D

Back
Top Bottom