Heat proof sheeting for under the panniers?

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've done some remodeling of my right hand pannier & mounting [1] to make it fit and I think the mod is just about complete.

All I need to do now is affix some heat resistant sheet to the bottom of the pannier. As the pannier bottom is no longer flat (there's a recess to allow for the top edge of the exhaust) I'll need to cut the material to fit a bit like a jigsaw.

Can anyone suggest where I can get suitable heavy duty heat resistant self adhesive waterproof sheet or wide tape? A quick look online shows loads of tapes that nominally fit the bill, but most look like adhesive-backed aluminium foil and not particularly robust.

[1] Givi V35 panniers on an R1200R with Akrapovic.

Thanks - those prices don't look too bad actually and less expensive than Amazon. I opted for this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FEHEZ4G before I saw your recommendation. If it doesn't look up to the job when it arrives I'll return it and order some from Merlin.

I used that amazon stuff under some panniers on a Harley, was very impressed............

I used that amazon stuff under some panniers on a Harley, was very impressed............

Oh good, that's reassuring. I've ordered a much bigger sheet than I need as the price differential is minimal and it allows for rework if Mr Cockup comes to town.

All being well I'll have a complete, waterproof, heat-resistant pannier by Easter :)

Oh good, that's reassuring. I've ordered a much bigger sheet than I need as the price differential is minimal and it allows for rework if Mr Cockup comes to town.

All being well I'll have a complete, waterproof, heat-resistant pannier by Easter :)

You will be ok its a bit thick, but I used a little roller to get it nice and flat and into nook and crannies, worked really good, bottom of the pannier where the silencer was was nice and cool again, before putting this on the bottom, inside the pannier was very warm.

You will be ok its a bit thick, but I used a little roller to get it nice and flat and into nook and crannies, worked really good, bottom of the pannier where the silencer was was nice and cool again, before putting this on the bottom, inside the pannier was very warm.

Hmmm.

I'll have to try it and see. It would be a shame if, having modified the pannier to clear the exhaust, the heat stuff closes up the gap again.

how hot do the panniers get...?
No idea, but as mine are held together with gripfill, gutter sealant, rivets and self tapping screws, I'm taking no chances!
94f8a221115c01f60f82761b5167c159.jpg
d8de22b87d35d7dbcb7485b736cddc08.jpg

I was thinking "awful and shit" but didn't have the heart to write it
I'll not argue with you on that one, however having spent the best part of a year thinking what might be the best solution, I realised that it would be better to have *a* solution than not have a perfect solution.

It's not yet finished, and I'm sure when it is it will look marginally less awful and shit.

Or I'll wander in to Cotswold Motorrad next week, open my wallet and say "help yourself"

furry muff....

right must go and pretend to do some of the lords work....:)

should've got the SW Motech frames that take proper Givi boxes...

should've got the SW Motech frames that take proper Givi boxes...
Thank you Wessie.

I know I've got a set of "proper" Givis in the garage, but when I got the bike, SW Motech hadn't started selling the frames, so the V35s were the best non-oem option.

Do the SW Motech/Givi combination clear the Akrapovic exhaust?

Thank you Wessie.

I know I've got a set of "proper" Givis in the garage, but when I got the bike, SW Motech hadn't started selling the frames, so the V35s were the best non-oem option.

Do the SW Motech/Givi combination clear the Akrapovic exhaust?

Don't have one - does it have a larger footprint than the OE one? My cases, whichever set I choose to use, clear the standard exhaust. Choices are Kappa K40 or more usually Givi E21 which are narrow and with a topbox, adequate for a 2 week trip.

Don't have one - does it have a larger footprint than the OE one? My cases, whichever set I choose to use, clear the standard exhaust. Choices are Kappa K40 or more usually Givi E21 which are narrow and with a topbox, adequate for a 2 week trip.
It's a different shape to the oe one. Not sure if it's larger as such.

The V35 fit fine with the stock can

Back
Top Bottom