Belgium trip - headlamp beam converters

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some friends and I are travelling around the Ardenne & Luxembourg for four days. I noted that it’s law that I should fit beam converters. What are your thoughts about likelihood of being stopped and/or fined?

Must admit only things I normally see Police have a look at when you get stopped is the Exhaust if noisy, and tread on Tyres, at the moment the Police have other things on their agenda to look out for..........:rob

What are your thoughts about likelihood of being stopped and/or fined?

Zero, depending on the levels of other heinous contraventions of Belgian traffic laws you commit.

Load of newer bikes have asymetrical dipped beams where there is a very slight kick up of the beam pattern on both sides rather than the traditional dipped pattern with a very pronounced kick up at one side (ie on a rhd drive the pronounced kick is on the left )

If your bike has an asymetrical beam pattern you do not need to fit beam deflectors when driving on the continent

How much riding do you plan to do in the hours of darkness?

It's not a problem in daylight hours.

How much riding do you plan to do in the hours of darkness?

It's not a problem in daylight hours.

Exactly, although I'm not sure there's an issue with the led headlight in the dark either. I had a read up before crossing the channel last year and concluded that no action was needed, but I can't remember any definitive reference.

Isn't the dipped beam pattern flat so ok for European use? Is the UK headlamp a different part number?

Exactly, although I'm not sure there's an issue with the led headlight in the dark either. I had a read up before crossing the channel last year and concluded that no action was needed, but I can't remember any definitive reference.

Isn't the dipped beam pattern flat so ok for European use? Is the UK headlamp a different part number?

You are correct. I imported my GS from Germany (where I had been living and where it was bought) and had nothing to do with the headlight to correct for riding on the opposite side of the road. It is "flat beam" technology

If you are stopped, repeat the following:

"Feck sake! Here we are in the world capital of paedophilia and terrorism and you twats have nothing better to do than stop innocent British citizens for a minor traffic infringement!!! Thank feck for Brexit!"

This will certainly put the errant policeman in his place and assure your prompt and speedy onward journey.

If you are stopped, repeat the following:

"Feck sake! Here we are in the world capital of paedophilia and terrorism and you twats have nothing better to do than stop innocent British citizens for a minor traffic infringement!!! Thank feck for Brexit!"

This will certainly put the errant policeman in his place and assure your prompt and speedy onward journey.

And say it in phlegm.... err, Flem.

Back
Top Bottom