TYRES

Notsomadmax

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having happily ridden my 2009 GSA for 3 years and only having had Metzeler Tourances (Original block type)on it with no issues.....My new to me 2011 twin cam has Anakee 3.

Is it my imagination or do they make the ride feel a bit damn harsh? :nenau

Having happily ridden my 2009 GSA for 3 years and only having had Metzeler Tourances (Original block type)on it with no issues.....My new to me 2011 twin cam has Anakee 3.

My new to me tc still has tourances on so interested in comments

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Swings and roundabouts, I like the Anakee 3,s coming from Harley Dunlops, my mate swears by Metzeler, and another screams about Pirelli, go figure.

Have you checked the tyre pressure? Is the suspension setup as you like?

I’ve had both those tires and preferred the anakees. Did feel either have a smoother ride!

yep everything set up fine just feels different but I guess same but different bike is going to differ....

Yes they are really more off road than on road ride so give a harder and noiseier ride so if you want a more road orientated tyre go with what your used to.As with the Anakee Wilds they do appear to need a bit more pushing to get into the corners.

I find it interesting why people like different brands on a GS.

I suppose I was the same when it came to big sports bikes or track riding. I could easily tell the difference between a touring tyre and a sports tire due to wheel spin and cornering grip, but I really could not tell the difference with normal road riding on a big GS. Not unless it squared off .

For me. If the bike steps out of line , its usually due to poor road conditions or something on the tire that should not be there. Or a heavy hand.

Yes they are really more off road than on road ride so give a harder and noiseier ride so if you want a more road orientated tyre go with what your used to.As with the Anakee Wilds they do appear to need a bit more pushing to get into the corners.

Anakee 3s I think not wilds. I'm just looking at putting the anakees on mine also

I got my new to me 09 GSA serviced and Maxxis Dualsports fitted. I did quite a bit of reading on various forums and decided to go for these although the feedback was let's say 'mixed'. Have only done about 100km on them so far in mixed conditions so not much feedback to give. It's also my first GSA so nothing to compare with really but the Michelin's that were on the bike. There was some life left in the Michelins but the rear was so square I felt that changing was in order. First impression on the Maxxis are good, no issues cornering in dry or wet although they feel quite 'stiff' especially on rutted tarmac.

I suppose I was the same when it came to big sports bikes or track riding. I could easily tell the difference between a touring tyre and a sports tire due to wheel spin and cornering grip, but I really could not tell the difference with normal road riding on a big GS. Not unless it squared off .

For me. If the bike steps out of line , its usually due to poor road conditions or something on the tire that should not be there. Or a heavy hand.

What I notice is how easily (or not) the bike steers. Some tyres (e.g. new TKC-70) are very light handling to the point of feeling knife edged. Others (e.g. older vanilla Tourance) feel sluggish and heavy. what really matters is how they wear. Its really annoying to throw a pair of part worn tyres because the handling has dropped off to the point they don't feel secure any more. I've found Conti Trail Attack 2 gave a good compromise between handling, grip and tread life.

Maxxis Tourance equivalent were unimpressive but the front just went on and on. The back wore out quickly. I replaced it with a Maxxis SuperMax and that lasted longer than any other rear i've used. The front was still legal but not nice to use so that's when the TKC-70s went on.

The next set will be K60 Scouts to see how I go with them.

Not worried about stepping out of line, That if it happens is all part of the fun.... It just feels like the tyres are running really high pressures when obviously they aren't, I will give it a bit more time failing that back to my Metz Tourance

I've just ordered a set of Avon trail rider. See how they go.

Can I throw a quick question in please? On the subject of tyres. I have a 2017 r1200gs adv triple black. Is it possible to fit a complete on road tyre like the Avon storm st or am I just being stupid? Just asking because I have no intention of riding of road and my mate has managed to do 10,000 miles on a set of them on a lump of a bike, zzr1400.

Hahahaha Just answered my own question thanks. Just being stupid is the reply. Found a size chart at last.

Can I throw a quick question in please? On the subject of tyres. I have a 2017 r1200gs adv triple black. Is it possible to fit a complete on road tyre like the Avon storm st or am I just being stupid? Just asking because I have no intention of riding of road and my mate has managed to do 10,000 miles on a set of them on a lump of a bike, zzr1400.

Tyre Leader have the Conti Road Attack in GS wheel sizes. That said I could feel no loss of grip with Trail Attack 2s.

Not worried about stepping out of line, That if it happens is all part of the fun.... It just feels like the tyres are running really high pressures when obviously they aren't, I will give it a bit more time failing that back to my Metz Tourance

Go from a basic Tourance type to a TKC70 and ask the same question. The TKC is very quick handling and takes a while to adjust to. After that everything else feels like yesterday’s porridge.

Back
Top Bottom