GS1200, F800GS or Tiger!?!

Cyclistbruce

Reaction score
Am selling my 1150GS and cannot decided on what to replace it with!!

I commute daily (country roads) but also work as a motorbike medic several weekends a year. This involves following cyclists around small country roads across England and Wales- so a mixture of long motorway rides to get to the events and then up to 12 hours on and off the bike including slow riding etc. I am also using it for some off road as live near Salisbury Plain and will be going to Portugal for an off road tour in May...

I initially set a budget of £6000 and cannot decide between the F800GS or Tiger 800XC. Another option is my mates 1200GS which is fully loaded, 2010 plate with about 20000 on the clock, but will be another grand on top.

Any thoughts as I'm buggered if I can make a decision!!

Three very different bikes, dont ask on here , try each of them then decide. Your choice is like Beer and saying is lager , mild and Bitter and saying which is best.

I love the f800 engine , but the Triumph is a triple and smooth and the gs is a twin and cobby

Three very different bikes, dont ask on here , try each of them then decide. Your choice is like Beer and saying is lager , mild and Bitter and saying which is best.

I love the f800 engine , but the Triumph is a triple and smooth and the gs is a twin and cobby
I've tried the F800, it was ok. The tiger I had for a day, can't remember being particularly excited either way. Haven't ridden the 1200 yet, but I've had a love/hate with the 1150, mainly as it's spent half its life in pieces...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I had a Tiger before my GS (sold it in Feb).

Mine was the XCx which had the WP suspension. I tried a "normal" Tiger one day when the dealer gave it to me as a courtesy bike. It din't have the WP suspension and I have to say that I didn't like it.

The XC (previous to the XCx) has budget suspension (in comparison), it's a tall bike and the weight is carried higher up than on the F800GS. The XCx is far better than the F800GS (IMHO) but I can't honestly say the same for the other Tigers without the premium suspension (I think the XRx had Sachs). The best bit about those "other" Tigers is the engine, for sure better than the BMW's inline twin.

If it were my money I would definitely take the GS. Although it looks big and bulky, the tall Tiger "feels" bigger and more of a handful.

That's my experience.

6K to spend, and considering your needs. KTM 1050 .....no doubt.

Sorry it's a spanner in the works, but it's a very capable bike.

Is "knowing" the bike an advantage? Has the mate's bike been pampered or ridden in all weathers for commuting and parked outdoors on a beach? The mileage suggests the former.

Ultimately, you need to ride them but I think the 800s will both carry their weight high up. The boxer lends itself to a low centre of gravity and is therefore more relaxed at lower speeds - I know this from comparing my 2 bikes, an R1200RS and a 1200 Explorer when I encounter a peloton of cyclists in the Cotswolds.

I had the older Tiger triple (in lime green lol) and although I'm 6ft4 and not of slim build, I always found I was fighting it's top heavy weight. Once on the go it was OK, although slow corners and roundabouts were a challenge at times, and the engine was sweet. Am now on my first GSA 1200 and absolutely love it. None of these top heavy issues and once you are on the move it feels as nimble as a much smaller bike. The seating position is very comfortable as well for us taller ones and the weather protection works great too. I've never sat on an 800 before except for the few TDM's that I had but not sure how they compare with the BMW 800. As stated above, try them all and find out what suits you.

Having ridden all 3, for your budget and needs, I would say the Tiger

Try them all and go with your gut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of reviews on YouTube for the comparison between F800gs and Triumph 800. No direct experience myself but have read these comparisons as I was considering the Triumph over the GS800. Weight to me was the only negative of the 1200GS.

I have both a Tiger 800 and a F800ST which uses the same engine as the 800GS

They are both great engines so if you'd like to try both of these and fancy a ride down this way you're very welcome to try both of mine.

Just had a quick ride out on the 1200GS, it looks like the previous owners have thrown the touratech catalogue at it! Once I got over the sheer bulk it actually seems lighter than the 1150...
c67bac8f47a5c4b9924ea3dfa08db6ac.jpg
5d0ace3cda086bc664bdd57d34d23461.jpg

If the GS price includes all of the bling why not persuade the owner to strip some of it off, sell that separately so you can buy the bike cheaper? If the owner won't do this you could sell some of the bling to bring the cost closer to your original budget. This forum has been a good place to sell bling when I have changed bike, even for non GS bikes like my Super Tenere.

Had all the bikes mentioned, all ok, now riding a 17 plate v Strom 1000, got to say best bike I have ridden for years! So I would recommend a test ride for sure. ��

Actually did test ride a V Strom and loved it, not that great off road I hear though?

Given the criteria of motorway, small twisty roads, slow riding, and an off-road trip I would go for the F800GS.
I swapped an R1150GS for my F8GS and have never regretted it. I’ve been to Berlin, 1600 miles round France in 10 days, Orkney two-up, and in July it’s getting shipped to Anchorage for the start of GlobeBusters Trans America’s trip. 21 weeks, 14 countries, 24000 miles; 10% of which is on gravel roads.
As a bonus the 800 is the same 85 bhp as the 1150, but is 42 kilos lighter.

The 1150 only has 18nm more torque. With nearly 50 kgs more to carry, I think the difference is less than you think....but still some.

Back
Top Bottom