S10 or Ducati - that is the question....

If you plan to keep it after the warranty expires then I’d say yes, you’re just about East Ham.

Variety is the spice of life, have you tried a 950 Multi yet ?

You can also extend warranty at point of purchase (ever red I think its called) up to 4 years.

Nothing quite like a Duc., I still cant find anything I'd rather have than my 899 after 4 years and 24k.

RBW.

My views on modern Ducati’s was formed purely on just over 2 years of owning a 1200 Multistrada and along with several other ex owners that I know I’d never buy another new Ducati. I love the older ones but the list of problems that Multistrada owners suffered up until at least 2016 was horrendous.

They were also crap at resolving warranty issues and software problems were a particular weak point :blast

My views on modern Ducati’s was formed purely on just over 2 years of owning a 1200 Multistrada and along with several other ex owners that I know I’d never buy another new Ducati. I love the older ones but the list of problems that Multistrada owners suffered up until at least 2016 was horrendous.

They were also crap at resolving warranty issues and software problems were a particular weak point :blast

I have the exact opposite experience to this , dealers service and speed at resolving issues was considerably better than KTM and BMW.
Loved both bikes ( MTS) and had a great time on them covering over 20,000 miles.
Sure they can break and with first year models you are definitely the guinea pig.
I had a 1st generation 1190 ADV , It was truly shocking and spent quite some time in the dealers...

I would/will definitely buy another Ducati , and probably a Multistrada at some time in the future.

I had a 950 MS on loan whilst my Hyper was in for service and my impressions were that in reality for the money it was all the bike you would ever need !

Build quality wasnt at all bad and unless you need all the bells and whistles that go with the much more expensive 1200 version and can live without the super sexy single sided swing arm then i would personally go with it over the Yam

Yes Ducati have some character and yes there have been some issues with the 1200 but last i was on the Santander ferry ( last year) there were more Multis than GS s

I had a slight warranty issue with the sprocket on my Hyper but it was all sorted very well

Same as fatbob and redrick here, few minor issues resolved under warranty without issue (not a multi). Most significant was rear rocker arm wear on the 15K service but all sorted with the valve clearance service. Not convinced on the quality of their Chain and Sprockets though as first chain developed a tight spot at 15K.

There was a minor (and I mean minor) redesign to the swing arm to stop the chain scuffing at one point (the redesign had a slightly chamfered area where the chain runs close to it), and the whole swingarm was replaced under warranty without me asking because the chain marked it (the dealer spotted it and reported it to Ducati). I could have taken a dremel and achieved the same outcome but wasn't complaining.

If you do lots of miles, check the valve clearance service cost, its quite complex on my 899 and the labour is 11 hours. Won't make me sell it though unless I go for the V4.

Great service from Italia Moto in Lincoln.

RBW.

I loved riding the Multi but just lost all confidence in it as far as reliability and the willingness of Ducati to resolve problems was concerned.

Apart from the rear brake rarely working within a few weeks of the brakes being bled the first year was fine but then it was a seemingly never ending list of problems. Firstly the fuel gauge started to act up so I had a series of new fuel gauge components and software updates trying to get it to work which were never properly resolved and for over 12 months I either had no fuel gauge, a low fuel light permanently lit up or the range remaining would drop in 25 mile increments.

It needed a new instrument panel after the original suffered from pixel burn and I was told that it would be an ongoing issue but Ducati would always replace it while I owned the bike. Great, at least the overall mileage would never get over about 18 months worth of miles.

Two new cylinder heads were finally fitted after I was initially told that the smell on start up was normal as was the smoke while it burned off anti freeze that had leaked through porous castings.

After the new heads were fitted I was told that the emulsion in the oil level sight glass was due to condensation and not coolant being in the oil and if I gave it a good thrashing it’d go. I thrashed it and it returned, I thrashed it again and it returned again even after an oil and filter change.

The bike still stunk of coolant burning off on start up but apparently that was down to the cat being corrupted by the previous coolant leak and no, I couldn’t have a new cat because by then the bike was out of warranty so my best option was to buy a nice new full Akro. This was the dealers suggestion by the way :blast

I’d also had to free the exhaust butterfly valve mechanism every couple of months from new but that was my own stupid fault for not buying a full Akro system for it :D

If I’d gone for a second generation model I’d have avoided the cylinder head and instrument panel issues but I might have needed new switchgear if I was stupid enough to use it in the rain on a regular basis as happened to a friend of mine but at least we shared the pain of seized exhaust butterfly valves, shite fuel gauges and needing to carry a pocket full of spare fasteners for the hugger because the fastener fairies steal them at night.

Buy new and sell when the warranty expires is the best way to enjoy the Multistrada experience :rob

Thanks all,
The plan would be to get it on PCP and move it on at 2 years once the warranty has expired.
Main concern is that I need an all weather bike (not neccesarily all year though). How do they stack up in the wet? Bit concerned over the rusty exhausts I've seen on some nearly new ones!!

Thanks all,
The plan would be to get it on PCP and move it on at 2 years once the warranty has expired.
Main concern is that I need an all weather bike (not neccesarily all year though). How do they stack up in the wet? Bit concerned over the rusty exhausts I've seen on some nearly new ones!!

Cant comment on the exhaust as mine is a Ti term system but i rode it all the way from Pitlochry to home 350 miles in absolute pissing heavy rain and it didn't miss a beat.

I obviously look after it and clean it a good amount there is no rust showing anywhere which is more than can be said for the XR after overwintering in a non heated garage

Back
Top Bottom