S10 change?

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of chopping in my S10 for a Ducati 950 Multistrada.
Threaders with the bike cutting out when I just start opening the throttle. Doesnt do it all the time but at least a few times every ride (35+ miles). Dealer says there's nothing wrong with it (and I'm defo not stalling it) but there is a feedback on various forums that its a problem.

Anyone any thoughts?

Mine did it after riding in very heavy rain . When I checked the spark plugs the cavity where the plug caps sit was full of water . Let it dry out and after that it was fine .

Thanks jetjock. Mine's defo not rain or weather orientated. Does it regardless (although only when the bike is warmed up, never does it when cold)

Have you tried the full forum search? http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php If you can't find an answer with search, then post full details for additional help.

S10s are pretty reliable, with most issues covered very fully on the forum. It certainly sounds like the coil sticks or maybe water down the plug seal as jetjock suggests, but there are other possibilities; air leaks at intake or vacuum hoses/caps cracked up. Presumably there are no codes on the ECU.

If your Yam dealer (who?) isn't competent to fix it (talk to dealer principal), then discuss with Yamaha CS; they are pretty helpful & will liaise with the dealer to sort you out.

Mine did that...took it to Hilltop for a remap..and specifically mentioned the tendency to stall just as you open the throttle from a standstill...( usually when I was about to pull away from traffic lights ..not all the time but enough to make me conscious of it)

Anyway..Geoff sorted it...and the problem was gone :thumb

Thanks jetjock. Mine's defo not rain or weather orientated. Does it regardless (although only when the bike is warmed up, never does it when cold)

Yeah but if the water has got in there due rain or jet wash over time , it’s stays there and causes havoc with the ignition . It’s worth checking

Pull the tank and check the stick coils. Not too bad a job but pulling the coils off the plugs can be hard they're so tight. Unfortunately this doesn't mean your coils won't have expanded with rust/corrosion.

i think i know what this is - its the throttle position sensor - it isn't sealed and the copper strips fur over.

You probably won't even notice, but it also affects, or can introduce, a stuttery throttle on part-open throttle.

The fix - liift tank - i dont think you need to remove airbox and then remove the cover over the throttle position sensor and run the lever through its full range of motion to clean the copper strips.

the ECU doesnt get a reading from the TPS and snaps the throttle bodies shut - you might even hear this as a loud 'clack' noise and then the engine can die.

see here for pics on how to do it - takes about half an hour - worth trying:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=12376.0

So just an update, this is a 2016 bike with 9k miles on it. The problem has pretty much been there since the beginning of ownership, which is why I dont think its water ingress/ corrosion etc.
Both times the bike has been in for a service I've mentioned it to the dealer (phoenix) and they have found no fault code nor anything obviously wrong and, as its an intermittent fault, its difficult to replicate and not always apparent on a test ride. Warranty has literally just expired too. Bryn's description is exactly what happens. Dont really want to have an ECU flash as the bike is still on a PCP and "should be returned in the same configuration etc etc!"
Read something about raising the CO level maybe??

Pull the tank and check the stick coils. Not too bad a job but pulling the coils off the plugs can be hard they're so tight. Unfortunately this doesn't mean your coils won't have expanded with rust/corrosion.

yeah I deffo check these first . As I say water does get in but can get out and causes havoc .

i agree with the above - the coils are a pain - if you take them out then smear a little grease around the top of the coil pack when you put them back - seems to help (my local dealer did it anyway - they applied some sort of red silicon grease to the coil packs)

but please - try the TPS movement first - its easier to do than get to the coil packs (which aren't bad but need the airbox removing too.

My understanding is that on a part throttle if the TPS doesnt give a reading to the ECU the ECU snaps shut the throttle bodies and it stalls.

that said, if its been there "since new" then i dont know what else to suggest

I have always wanted a S10, but after hearing and reading about all of the "fixes", I think I'll keep my Versys 1000!

@ gingerbeemer08 To be honest, thats balls ( & v annoying ) your dealer couldnt fix, you should write a note to Yamaha UK or go to a reputable Yam dealer. As its being going on so long, it shouldnt get to this point.

as said, ECU flash wll do the trick, but you can hardly be expected to pay for it.

The S10 is retarded v heavily as stock , hence why ECU flashes make such a big difference. the TPS is particularly choked / restricted, especially in the first couple of gears afaik.

i like my ducati's, ive had a few, but see how you go, give the S10 one more try.

best of luck with it.

I have always wanted a S10, but after hearing and reading about all of the "fixes", I think I'll keep my Versys 1000!

no bike is without issues, but if the end of the world was neigh, id be picking an S10 every time.

There are some good deals available on KTM 1090's at the moment if you are looking for a lighter / perkier bike.

I must admit the Ducati 950 looks a bit sexier, but I really like both my KTM's and think with a bit of discount the 1090 is a bargain, 10 - 15BHP up on the S10 without a shaft drive sapping the power - but more importantly it is about 50kg lighter.

Only downside is the crap that comes off the chain.

Thinking of chopping in my S10 for a Ducati 950 Multistrada.
Threaders with the bike cutting out when I just start opening the throttle. Doesnt do it all the time but at least a few times every ride (35+ miles). Dealer says there's nothing wrong with it (and I'm defo not stalling it) but there is a feedback on various forums that its a problem.

Anyone any thoughts?

just to add.....this is uncanny, but anyway, said id let you know, just in case.

for the last 2 weeks ( all of a sudden ) my S10 had been skipping / missing while running. I thought it was the fueling etc but it seemed like someone was flicking a light switch for a split second turning off / then on, literally....it had me thinking coils / all sorts.

however, brought it to my local guy at Mototuning.ie who carried out an ECU flash on it a few weeks ago....he pulled off the panel where the battery is and the connector on the loom - its behind a soft plastic shroud - this is what powers the right hand bar switch gear etc - but it had came out of its block somehow and was arcing - thats what it felt like....hence the stuttering kinda feeling and the bike running great / poor.

After he connected the block properly it was perfect ( as you'd expect ) . He has worked on lots of s10's and many other bikes, and said, its almost impossible for this to disconnect itself, as its a fairly chunky connector and being honest, the loom section is buried, so not sure how it came apart in the first place !! Its located in front of the battery behind a soft loom rubber boot cover kinda thing.

anyway, worth looking into ! For sure, just to rule it out !

yamaha-xt1200z-super-tenere-20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom