DCT...would you ?

I wish it would keep the desired power mode when using the additional gearstick, it reverts back to D every time you put it in neutral.

That’s a pain sound like a software issue have you contacted Honda? They will probably roll out an update for that surely

I wish it would keep the desired power mode when using the additional gearstick, it reverts back to D every time you put it in neutral.

When you say power mode do you mean the gearbox setting eg S1, S2 etc ?

if so then Neo is missing the point slightly as its just the same as all the DCT bikes . The gearbox selector button on my CT gives you just N , D or S. Clearly if you select N at a stop then you've effectively told the bike you dont want S or D anymore hence the problem but I get your point. I very rarely select N when stopped . However , if I do its only a case of stabbing the button twice rather than once when setting off to give S instead of D (might be differnt on the AT with more settings) Your problem is fairly unique because you are riding it with the optional footshift, which not many go for, and as a consequence you are presumably using that to shift into N and then select a gear when you set off. I understand your slight frustration though.

if so then Neo is missing the point slightly as its just the same as all the DCT bikes . The gearbox selector button on my CT gives you just N , D or S. Clearly if you select N at a stop then you've effectively told the bike you dont want S or D anymore hence the problem but I get your point. I very rarely select N when stopped . However , if I do its only a case of stabbing the button twice rather than once when setting off to give S instead of D (might be differnt on the AT with more settings) Your problem is fairly unique because you are riding it with the optional footshift, which not many go for, and as a consequence you are presumably using that to shift into N and then select a gear when you set off. I understand your slight frustration though.

Well explained I understand now I see the issue if i selected neutral on mine via the switch gear then drive I would need to then select sport if required on top of drive.

Yep correct, I opted for the gearstick so that i can still have my own input and it feels like a conventional setup, its only frustrating when I stop as I often still select N (habit) dab it into first pull away and let the auto box do its thing, I notice the difference immediately and as you say just dab the selector button, as much as I try to leave it in the drive mode, riding 2 bikes back to back I often forget.

Tis no hardship tho, great bike

Reading this thread with interest.... I rode a manual AT last year for a couple of hours and thought it was superb. I’ve looked at buying either a used AT or Crosstourer since, but always manual ones. My main concern is the shear cost of repairing or replacing the Auto box or DCT if they fail.... I don’t suppose they’ve been out long enough, but are there any horror stories out there with the DCT system yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't get my head around the idea that one has a hugely powerful motor connected to your rear wheel and computer controlling it. I Like the ability to pull in a manual clutch to disconnect the drive, incase the fly by wire goes nuts and cracks wide open

Reading this thread with interest.... I rode a manual AT last year for a couple of hours and thought it was superb. I’ve looked at buying either a used AT or Crosstourer since, but always manual ones. My main concern is the shear cost of repairing or replacing the Auto box or DCT if they fail.... I don’t suppose they’ve been out long enough, but are there any horror stories out there with the DCT system yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only read of a couple slight software glitches , no hardware issues . They have been producing DCT for over 8years now so quite a long time ....

I can't get my head around the idea that one has a hugely powerful motor connected to your rear wheel and computer controlling it. I Like the ability to pull in a manual clutch to disconnect the drive, incase the fly by wire goes nuts and cracks wide open

So many bikes have ride by wire now and yet the idea of it seems really quite scary doesn't it ? You are not really in control!? However, if it does go nuts the likelihood of you fully understanding whats happening , reacting appropriately and pulling the clutch in before you have an accident is probably quite remote. Just ask poor old John McPint ;)

I had an incident with my GS when it suddenly took off while I was negotiating a mini roundabout in France - so much so that the front wheel came up briefly, and it nearly resulted in an accident. I have a suspicion that the cruise control resumed without being asked to as I had left it in the on position, though I am sure I didn't touch the resume switch. It was the clutch that saved me there, so there is some reassurance in having manual control over it. Having said that I did about 6000 miles on a Honda NC750X fitted with DCT and had no problems with it other than the fact that it couldn't detect uphills or downhills, or see upcoming bends, nor telepathically realise that I was about to make an overtake, so I had to manually intervene in the gear selection sometimes!

I think it cuts both ways - the only time I’ve been unceremoniously launched forwards was due to a snapped clutch cable (it was a crappy bike I’d learnt on - odd thing was I stalled a lot of times while learning, yet sudden dumping of clutch and it pulled away fine).

I had an incident with my GS when it suddenly took off while I was negotiating a mini roundabout in France - so much so that the front wheel came up briefly, and it nearly resulted in an accident. I have a suspicion that the cruise control resumed without being asked to as I had left it in the on position, though I am sure I didn't touch the resume switch. It was the clutch that saved me there, so there is some reassurance in having manual control over it......

Of course just touching either brake would have disengaged cruise as well, or shut off the engine completely with the kill switch.

Of course DCT is relatively recent for Honda but I've not heard of any durability issues with it in any of their bikes. In all honesty my biggest concern would be with something very old tech; premature wear in the forks.

DCT has been in everyday use for eight years on bikes now with few known issues.
Same thing with ride by wire and cruise control on bikes. Can anyone wrote a recorded accident blamed on these things?
The manufacturers have to have massive failsafe controls on these components or risk having their asses sued.
There was a story a few years ago about Toyota in the States having a faulty cruise control system that could kill you after a fatal accident. Lots of people claimed that it nearly happened to them.
It could never be replicated by independent experts although Toyota paid out in the end to make it go away.
Comments like this are usually from people who think carbs are still better than fuel injection.

There was a story a few years ago about Toyota in the States having a faulty cruise control system that could kill you after a fatal accident.

Was that the one where they said they would fully compensate you providing you applied in person after your fatal accident but only if it killed you :D

Couldn't resist :beerjug:

Cars have been fly by wire for donkeys years, the only problem you get is when the pedal goes tits up. and the ecu says no, its fucked, and leaves the engine on tickover like a broken throttle cable.never heard of any going full bore.

I'm on a mini tour of Scotland and Yorkshire Dales at the moment on the DCT. I've been offroading in Keider, Farm Tracks, fast A B road's and all I can say is that it's brilliant..For fast A roads, select sport 3 and use the paddles to shift..Like a 2 wheeled Ferrari..I would love Dct on my Panny:)

If you already drive an auto car the transition is very easy, the DCT replicates more or less my Dsg vehicle I drive so whilst I go from manual bike to auto bike I now prefer the auto for the ease however with all autos you learn how to use it to its best, like the above. It also has some flaws, it holds gear sometimes to long, it will change mid corner, pulling out to overtake can be a little daunting especially if your now on the gas and it drops down a gear, that split seconds feels to long and laggy, easy option is to select the gear before overtaking with the paddles or gearstick, I opted for a gearstick (brilliant option) I use it to tap down as I find the switchgear busy ! Slow manoeuvres are best done with trailing the rear brake, I tend to do these in D and select S when on the move because S can be a little eager when your trying to do a slow manoeuvre, I would love a rear brake on the bars like a scoot.

Would I buy a manual DCT - No
Would I buy another DCT - deffo and when my 3 years are up hopefully there'll be another deal to be had on the AT sport DCT

I was very impressed with the DCT on my 2016 Africa Twin.It was especially good two up and the smoothness cuts down the helmet knocking !!
I took mine all over the Hebrides and also on a long Dolomites trip two-up.It very rarely out a foot wrong and the combination of D,S1-3 and M modes let's you have your cake and eat it.
Today I rode a new Africa Twin Adventure Sports, as Honda UK brought their mobile roadshow to the island.
The bike itself was fantastic and the DCT was a step up from that on my old bike.It seems to have an auto-blipper built in that blips on down-changes.
I'd forgotten how good DCT was ,and even more refined on this new bike. So good that I did a deal and am going to get an ATAS.
As an aside I also tried the new Wing, unfortunately in manual. But the Honda rep said he wished they could have brought the DCT Wing over, but it was needed elsewhere.He said on the Wing it's got a 7 speed box and mated to the lovely flat six motor, is utterly superb.Obviously he's biased, but I can believe him, as the Wing was great to ride but would be up another level with a DCT box, for me anyway !

I was very impressed with the DCT on my 2016 Africa Twin.It was especially good two up and the smoothness cuts down the helmet knocking !!
I took mine all over the Hebrides and also on a long Dolomites trip two-up.It very rarely out a foot wrong and the combination of D,S1-3 and M modes let's you have your cake and eat it.
Today I rode a new Africa Twin Adventure Sports, as Honda UK brought their mobile roadshow to the island.
The bike itself was fantastic and the DCT was a step up from that on my old bike.It seems to have an auto-blipper built in that blips on down-changes.
I'd forgotten how good DCT was ,and even more refined on this new bike. So good that I did a deal and am going to get an ATAS.
As an aside I also tried the new Wing, unfortunately in manual. But the Honda rep said he wished they could have brought the DCT Wing over, but it was needed elsewhere.He said on the Wing it's got a 7 speed box and mated to the lovely flat six motor, is utterly superb.Obviously he's biased, but I can believe him, as the Wing was great to ride but would be up another level with a DCT box, for me anyway !
Excellent well done on the new purchase! I forget then ride my x adv and the whole thing makes riding 21st century in my opinion

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom