Isle of Mull wild camping.

bazman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone any recommendations of good spots ? Been around a couple of times and know of Calagary Bay , but can get busy.
Thinking of here for a night before Strontian charity rally end of April if anyone else fancies it?

Hi Bazman,
Some great spots to wild camp on the B8035 along the south side of Loch Na Keal. Head west from Salen over the saddle for a couple of miles then turn left on the B8035 towards Kinloch.
Some great camping spots between road and shore along this road on nice grass - and no hassle from landowner:thumb

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

Hi Bazman,
Some great spots to wild camp on the B8035 along the south side of Loch Na Keal. Head west from Salen over the saddle for a couple of miles then turn left on the B8035 towards Kinloch.
Some great camping spots between road and shore along this road on nice grass - and no hassle from landowner:thumb

Nice one , thanks Grizzly looks good :beerjug:

Yep, it's a beautiful area:thumb

Cheers.......Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0728_1.JPG
    IMG_0728_1.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,124

I have actually been to Mull many times, but never yet stayed overnight, camping or hotel, B&B etc...same with any Scottish island. Terrible I know........ Orkney is on the cards either with the bike or the GF in the car.

Maybe a short trip is required before the summer midges appear?

D.

I have actually been to Mull many times, but never yet stayed overnight, camping or hotel, B&B etc...same with any Scottish island. Terrible I know........ Orkney is on the cards either with the bike or the GF in the car.

Maybe a short trip is required before the summer midges appear?

D.

May or September the best times. If you do find the midges, or they you, Avon 'Skin So Soft' the best. The Forestry Commission issue it to their workers up there!

Orkney my favourite ... will be back there later this year :thumb

:beerjug:

Wild camped at Dervaig last year. No probs. The pub is the white building, top right of the pic, and there's a shop 100m further down the road too. The hotel does accomodation as well. We camped right by a church and 50m behind the pic, are the lochs.

20170610_165228.jpg

Wild camped at Dervaig last year. No probs. The pub is the white building, top right of the pic, and there's a shop 100m further down the road too. The hotel does accomodation as well. We camped right by a church and 50m behind the pic, are the lochs.

View attachment 369390

Ahh the dervaig hairpins great riding !! Cheers

Hi Bazman,

I've camped at Fidden farm before but that is where I'm going to pitch up next time, it's lovely there :cool:

Spent a week wild camping on Mull, with my boy and his dog. Beautiful place and I'll be going back again this year

Spent a week wild camping on Mull, with my boy and his dog. Beautiful place and I'll be going back again this year

Check the tides before you go, if you are going to get a very low tide it is worth taking a washing up liquid bottle, a spade, a bucket and a load of salt (strong salty solution in the bottle). Get some spouts when the water is at its lowest and eat them fresh with minimal cooking. Great free and easy version of the scallop.

When you see an oval depression near the water line give a wee squirt of the salty water, when the spout comes up dig under it and remove from the sand. Rinse in a bucket for a wee while. Boil water, remove pan from heat, put in half a dozen spouts in their shells and wait for them to open. Remove from shell, cut off guts, eat. A wee pan of butter and garlic to dip them in and some bread is good.

Repeat.

If you look around you will probably get some mussels as well and if you happen to have a collapsible crab pot you may get prawns or crabs to finish your meal.

Check the tides before you go, if you are going to get a very low tide it is worth taking a washing up liquid bottle, a spade, a bucket and a load of salt (strong salty solution in the bottle). Get some spouts when the water is at its lowest and eat them fresh with minimal cooking. Great free and easy version of the scallop.

When you see an oval depression near the water line give a wee squirt of the salty water, when the spout comes up dig under it and remove from the sand. Rinse in a bucket for a wee while. Boil water, remove pan from heat, put in half a dozen spouts in their shells and wait for them to open. Remove from shell, cut off guts, eat. A wee pan of butter and garlic to dip them in and some bread is good.

Repeat.

If you look around you will probably get some mussels as well and if you happen to have a collapsible crab pot you may get prawns or crabs to finish your meal.

That's my eldest son you're trying to poison Alastair :D

That's my eldest son you're trying to poison Alastair :D

Poison? Best food on earth - and free, good news to a Scotsman, must be just as good to a Yorkshireman, your pockets are just as deep as ours.

Wait till I start on good road kill:thumb2

I could tell you a tale about roadkill that would make you think twice about eating it.

Repeat.

Heading to the outer Hebrides, wild camping, in May hopefully. I'll be sure to give this a go :thumb2
(I'm assuming by 'spouts' you mean razor clams)

Repeat.

Isn't there something about avoiding said delicacies unless there's an R in the month...fine at the moment :rob

Back
Top Bottom