Sena 10U - VOX is too sensitive

AustinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any advice welcome. I got a Shoei Neotec and a Sena 10U to go in it. Its crap.

In intercom mode at about 50+ it picks up wind noise all the time - I get the wind noise in my ears via the sidetone and the wife complains like mad about the constant noise coming into her ears. When its just switched on and only paired to my phone, again above 50ish the voice activated intercom feature is constantly telling me "no intercom found, please try later". I could obviously switch this feature off.

I can't find anything in the settings to adjust the sensitivity of the VOX. I have added a second wind sock to the mic, which has helped a bit increasing the speed before the VOX kicks in to about 60, but passing traffic or a gust of wind still triggers it. Even shutting my visor does.

Am I missing something in the setup /configuration? Perhaps I have installed it wrong, although the install is pretty simple. I had an SMH5 before and that was waaaay better. The only good thing about the 10U is the way its built into the helmet.

It might be for sale soon.

Now I had this issue when I first got my 10U and found it most annoying but did resolve it, sadly I can't recall what I changed, sorry for being no help whatsoever but it is solvable.

How is it with radio/phone/nav?

Dunno. I haven’t tried the radio and don’t have BT sat nav. Phone is ok but I always slow right down or stop if I get a call. (I clearly can’t multi-task). Volume of intercom is fine. Music is too quiet but tbh I find music annoying and distracting as there is too much background noise anyway. ( I don’t even like listening to music or radio in the car).

I have messaged Sena support. Someone suggested the 10U needed VOX sensitivity adjustment on their support forum a couple of years ago. Sena replied saying they would look into it but nothing added to the thread since. It will be a marketing reason as I doubt there’s a technical reason being as how adjustable VOX is available through most of their range including on lower spec SMH5 units.

Sena replied to my enquiry today. They recommend a windsock deflector - one of these http://www.windsockwinddeflector.com
samplepic2a.gif

Although I prefer this guys solution https://www.webbikeworld.com/intercom-microphone-cover-prevents-wind-noise/

glove.jpg

microphone-cover.jpg

Back
Top Bottom