Are you a Hendon shuffler?

I am of the shuffle generation so Guilty and to some extent had to be reprogrammed when I did my IAM more recently. My observer made little comment as it did not cause any issues in his opinion. My Examiner did and commented on it after my test. We had a discussion in which I asked whether it was in any way unsafe? "No but it doesn't look good"." Is the priority to be safe or to look good? (See! Its not just on the forum that I'm a bolshie bugger!). "Ummmm " was the answer ...

Its the way Advanced Riding used to be taught. The emphasis now is less on rigid formulae and more on adopting safe habits for particular scenarios and I can appreciate that faffing about with the shuffle may impede progress and there may be occasions when sitting ready to snick it in gear and move off may be the safest option.

I tend to avoid anorak conversations about IAM/ROSPA etc. However anything to do with adaptive learning gets the thumbs up from me.

In today’s world of poor driver skills, lane 2 hoggers for one example, I tend to give up on strict observance of the H/code and try to do my own thing with a nod to guidance and rules replaced by risk assessment based riding. Everyone is an idiot...inc me at times! New Zealand have great traffic warning signs. Often at the approach to hazards you’ll see “be careful, other people make mistakes here!” It’s great psychology.

Besides, I like my Hendon shuffle

Why would a pass or fail depend on whether you do the Hendon shuffle or not has it suddenly become dangerous?

I'm as surprised as you are. Read the article in Motorcycle Monthly and see what you think. It is about the IAM Masters which IAM claim is the highest UK civilian riding standard.

The 'Hendon Shuffle' is not required at any level within the IAM (I believe it was many years ago), and certainly not at Masters level. You have to be able to stop in a safe and controlled manner, and you must be able to put down either foot when you stop in case the camber is against you, or the road surface is poor on one side or the other.

Have you read the article in Motorcycle Monthly? This is about the IAM Masters test where the author was failed partly for not doing the Hendon shuffle.

Coming to a stop on the rear brake when the bike is nice and slow gives you better control of the bike. It eliminates fork dive, keeps the bike nicely balanced and reduces the risk of a front wheel slide if there is any gravel/oil/diesel etc accumulated at the junction. It also enables use of throttle in a slow moving situation which of course is not possible if you are using the front brake. Nothing wrong with using the front brake all the way to a stop if that is the way you prefer; when I am below 15 mph the rear brake is more than enough to come to a relaxed and controlled stop and that is the method I prefer.

I think the key is that the shuffle is not the hard fast only way to do it anymore. There’s a focus on stopping smoothly using both brakes and putting the left foot down if possible. But as has been said, it depends on the road surface and camber.
I’d much rather see the stop done intelligently depending on the circumstances.

I have both IAM and RoSPA and neither examiner was bothered about the shuffle. As I stated earlier, put whatever foot down which is safest :)

I agree, I have both, plus IAM Masters, The 'shuffle was never expected. Although on my last but one RoSPA retest I was questioned about my use of front brake when stopping, I explained it shouldn't matter as long as the stop was safe and the front brake not used inappropriately.

Have you read the article in Motorcycle Monthly? This is about the IAM Masters test where the author was failed partly for not doing the Hendon shuffle.

No I have not read the article, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there wasn't a misunderstanding on behalf of the candidate as to what the examiner discussed with regard to this. I'd be even more surprised if the examiner actually stated that the candidate should use the Hendon Shuffle, but anything is possible I suppose. I know at least two Masters examiners that would not expect to see the Hendon Shuffle used.

Coming to a stop on the rear brake when the bike is nice and slow gives you better control of the bike. It eliminates fork dive, keeps the bike nicely balanced and reduces the risk of a front wheel slide if there is any gravel/oil/diesel etc accumulated at the junction. It also enables use of throttle in a slow moving situation which of course is not possible if you are using the front brake. Nothing wrong with using the front brake all the way to a stop if that is the way you prefer; when I am below 15 mph the rear brake is more than enough to come to a relaxed and controlled stop and that is the method I prefer.
This is, generally, how I would do it. However, if I need to put down my right foot due to camber/potholes on the nearside, I'll use the front brake to completely stop the bike literally at the last minute and, shock horror ;) , I'll put down both feet if required. :)

I'm as surprised as you are. Read the article in Motorcycle Monthly and see what you think. It is about the IAM Masters which IAM claim is the highest UK civilian riding standard.

What apart from the RoSPA gold :)

Could this be fake news? I’ve debriefed a number of failed test candidates who give one version of why they failed only to get a different version of the events from the examiner. I’ve seen nothing from the IAM definitively endorsing or banning the shuffle. If it’s safe and in control it’s fine.

Having said that I do sense there is a drive within the IAM hierarchy to change the status quo and move away from the situation where the majority of examiners are or were retired cops.

Having said that I do sense there is a drive within the IAM hierarchy to change the status quo and move away from the situation where the majority of examiners are or were retired cops.
Yup. A National Observer who has also passed thier Masters can apply to be an IAM examiner.

Never use my back brake and have hill start control............. Get with the programme :green gri
You will be saying your not supposed to do burn outs and wheelies next...................................

My observer had a big thing with only the left foot down!!

FFS my suspension sorts out fork dive, my brakes are linked. Either foot or both is no different to one.

I can use the throttle and front brake with one hand. I have the clutch to control the bike as well.

It was all about the look. Imagine the look when I was hanging off the bike on a corner ��

Mmmmm well 'we've' certainly moved away from the days where ALL examiners were retired Class I Police riders to where it's now IAM's hierarchy's ambition to build an empire on the backs of you guys'n galls doing a bloody good job voluntarily :thumb

Hendon Shuffle?

I rest mi case m'Lord :D

:beerjug:

This is, generally, how I would do it. However, if I need to put down my right foot due to camber/potholes on the nearside, I'll use the front brake to completely stop the bike literally at the last minute and, shock horror ;) , I'll put down both feet if required. :)

It's good to have an option for non-perfect situations;)

erm is this the bit about landing with the rear brake deployed then switching into neutral to rest while waiting for things to happen.... then doing a gear flick and brake cover pull away left foot up....?

hendon shuffle never heard it called that...

oh well live and learn...

they made us all do an advanced course at college after several chaps in the upper year got written off, and one was made into a wheelchair user...

never had much in the way of conversation with the instructors they just said whatever we're teaching you now will keep you alive.....

Fact is, as I understand it, neither IAM or Rospa stipulate which way to stop, brake or which foot to put down. The emphasis these days is on being a thinking rider, observing and then assessing the situation and responding accordingly. Those who insist on an inflexible 'you must do it this way' approach are doing nobody any favours

the way it was explained to me 30+ years ago, the thinking was then your more likely to need the break than the gear lever. If you need to stop, if you don't stop then it does not apply.

Back
Top Bottom