iOS IPTV App Recommendations (When overseas)

Hedgehog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently in Lanzarote. TV in Villa isn't working due to some issue with Satellite dish so I'm looking for a free (ideally) app that works well on iPad that gives me lots of channels

.....or a way of using a proxy server on my iPad so I can access BBC iPlayer et al

Thanks in advance

Tony

Much more options with a cheap android box/tablet.
Well I use "opera" vpn to view site such as BBC when abroad. I'm in Houston, Texas and it works just fine. It has other benefits as well.

Before you jump in and install it, check the reviews on it and see if it is for you.

One point to note, it will slow down your internet when you route through the vpn. It may effect what you can view.

I don't always use it, just when you need to conceal your location.

Thanks for that

I will give it a whirl when I can get access to the iTunes Store as it's currently playing up!

T

Currently in Lanzarote. TV in Villa isn't working due to some issue with Satellite dish so I'm looking for a free (ideally) app that works well on iPad that gives me lots of channels

.....or a way of using a proxy server on my iPad so I can access BBC iPlayer et al

Thanks in advance

Tony

I tried the Apple TV box. Bought one in the US, logged on with my UK iTunes account and it wouldn’t allow me to watch any US content. When I got back to the UK content was very limited.

If going this route a USD prepayment card and a US registered iTunes account needed so that you can access US content. The box applies restrictions by regions.

I tried the Apple TV box. Bought one in the US, logged on with my UK iTunes account and it wouldn’t allow me to watch any US content. When I got back to the UK content was very limited.

If going this route a USD prepayment card and a US registered iTunes account needed so that you can access US content. The box applies restrictions by regions.
I have never tried that. But on opera you can select which country (sub menu) you want to be seen in. So it may be the case of telling apple your tv box is in the uk.
This is all guess work as I don't go down that route.

I used to work with a guy who took his sky card from receiver and put it into his receiver in mainland Spain. He said it worked but not all channels were available.
Whether the dish had to realigned I don't know.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just posted a deal on NordVPN that will spoof you as being in UK here. May help.

Just posted a deal on NordVPN that will spoof you as being in UK here. May help.

Thanks. I tried Opera, but that wanted a £10 off me to even try it with a non-local IP address. I then tried Free VPN and this has been fine and stable with ITV Player although it's not fooling BBC iPlayer for some reason

Hedgehog, yes your right on the bbc I player.

Never tried it before but after your comment did. Logged on to opera changed location and accessed my bbc account. It still recognised I was not in the uk.

Some years ago, when living in Dubai and then Germany, I used myexpatnet.com to fool BBC iPlayer. Cost £5/month I think

Hedgehog, yes your right on the bbc I player.

Never tried it before but after your comment did. Logged on to opera changed location and accessed my bbc account. It still recognised I was not in the uk.

They are clearly going deeper than the IP Address. State sponsored no doubt.

They are clearly going deeper than the IP Address. State sponsored no doubt.

A few years back when I was abroad I remember reading an article by the BBC on accessing functions supposedly just for uk residents.

There was one part of the article that I still remember. The BBC bemoaned the fact that Chinese were big offenders followed by uk residents on holidays.

You would have thought that if you pay your licence. Have a registered account with a linked uk email address you would get access to the facilities as though you were in the uk.

Well I'm in Houston Texas and I cannot.

Yes the BBC have a way to detect that when I tried Opera (free version).

I access other sites that have a reasonably high security requirements. I'm not really suprised the BBC have gone to this length to prevent access.

Just checked again on the BBC site incase I made a error.

"Contents not available at your location"

Was logged in as well.

Back
Top Bottom