Fuel strip spoof resistor question

flo3flo

Reaction score
I went to Maplins before they closed down and bought some resistors required to do the well known spoof.
My 2008 GS has the annoying 'no fuel' warning and yellow triangle problem.
Unfortunately Maplins dont do 39 or 43 ohm resistors in 1 or 2 watts. They only had half watt ones.
I have read on another forum that the heater element requires 1 or 2 watt resistors. They did have the other half watt 1meg and 2k ones so I bought them.

I did try them anyway, but nothing happened....started the bike, ran until hot. Not even the bottom 'heater element' chunk on the bottom of the fuel indicator display.

I can only assume that the 39 or 43 ohm resistor must have to be more than half a watt for the ECU to 'see' the (spoofed) heater element before sending some current.

I have ordered some higher wattage resistors to try. If I simply connect one to terminal 1 and 4 on the fuel strip connector (on its own), should the bottom chunk on the display appear?

Last edited:
I just bought ordinary resistors from eBay. They worked.
35 ohm is the value of the fuel strip heater. Yours should measure out as ok.
2K ohm is the value of full tank. A broken strip measures infinity.
An empty tank is a higher value but to get the reading the engine has to be running so it’s a pain to collect accurate data.
I have no idea why it needs the 2 meg bias value.

Push the 35 Ohm resistor tails into the 1 and 4 contact pins. They happen to be a good fit. 40 ohm should also work.

Cut the wires off another 35 and push them into pins 2 and 3

Solder the 2K resistor between pins 2 and 3

Solder the 1meg between pins 3 and 4.

Wrap in self amalgamating tape.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-strip-fix.844902/page-12

If the 35 ohm can’t handle the current it will fail but mine was ok.

I’ve been making an adjustable circuit to work out the tank full and empty values across pins 2 & 3 but got sidelined by other stuff.

An empty tank is a higher value but to get the reading the engine has to be running so it’s a pain to collect accurate data.

Push the 35 Ohm resistor tails into the 1 and 4 contact pins. They happen to be a good fit. 40 ohm should also work.

I’ve been making an adjustable circuit to work out the tank full and empty values across pins 2 & 3 but got sidelined by other stuff.
So, 4 resistors in total. The link to the other forum shows 3.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

So, 4 resistors in total. The link to the other forum shows 3.
Cheers

No it’s just the three, but wires from a 4th 35 ohm are used in plug pins 2 & 3 to connect the two higher value resistors.
If you have access to solid copper wire of the right size you won’t need to raid a resistor for its wires.

I went to Maplins before they closed down and bought some resistors required to do the well known spoof.
My 2008 GS has the annoying 'no fuel' warning and yellow triangle problem.
Unfortunately Maplins dont do 39 or 43 ohm resistors in 1 or 2 watts. They only had half watt ones.
I have read on another forum that the heater element requires 1 or 2 watt resistors. They did have the other half watt 1meg and 2k ones so I bought them.

I did try them anyway, but nothing happened....started the bike, ran until hot. Not even the bottom 'heater element' chunk on the bottom of the fuel indicator display.

I can only assume that the 39 or 43 ohm resistor must have to be more than half a watt for the ECU to 'see' the (spoofed) heater element before sending some current.

I have ordered some higher wattage resistors to try. If I simply connect one to terminal 1 and 4 on the fuel strip connector (on its own), should the bottom chunk on the display appear?

Hi
I have just find out that one bloke in Poland developed small pcb that can convert fuel strip back to float/resistor type
Friend of mine ordered that week ago and we are waiting...
also he bought fuel pump from 2012 model with the float type sensor
This could be permanent fix for fuel strip
apparently this little device translates the signal and must be calibrated like a normal strip...
Soon as I get my hands on that I will crate nice report !

Hi
I have just find out that one bloke in Poland developed small pcb that can convert fuel strip back to float/resistor type
Friend of mine ordered that week ago and we are waiting...
also he bought fuel pump from 2012 model with the float type sensor
This could be permanent fix for fuel strip
apparently this little device translates the signal and must be calibrated like a normal strip...
Soon as I get my hands on that I will crate nice report !

This how this it looks
51faf927ab54aadf3366c9ebce1e58e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably an Arduino circuit.

https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Category/arduino-project-board-kits-modules

The issue is knowing what outputs the OEM controller expects to see from the fuel strip. Mine has an open circuit sensing track so getting reliable full and empty values is not possible. We know that 2000 ohms = full but we don't know if 2,200 or 1800 will do the same job and no clue what will give an empty reading. Ive knocked together a variable resistor setup to try and find the values but (it seems anyway) the fuel level sensing only works when the bike is moving so not easy to tweak accurately.

It's probably an Arduino circuit.

https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Category/arduino-project-board-kits-modules

The issue is knowing what outputs the OEM controller expects to see from the fuel strip. Mine has an open circuit sensing track so getting reliable full and empty values is not possible. We know that 2000 ohms = full but we don't know if 2,200 or 1800 will do the same job and no clue what will give an empty reading. Ive knocked together a variable resistor setup to try and find the values but (it seems anyway) the fuel level sensing only works when the bike is moving so not easy to tweak accurately.
Could you not get "The" engineer to run alongside you taking samplings as you ride along ? I'd pay the fuel bill !

On a less serious note;

What about doing it on a rolling road, would that be able to give qualitative readings ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Could you not get "The" engineer to run alongside you taking samplings as you ride along ? I'd pay the fuel bill !

On a less serious note;

What about doing it on a rolling road, would that be able to give qualitative readings ?

This what the bloke did first to program the module start with the full tank and measure the resistance and so on .
there is about 40 page thread about that he also found the reason why fuel strips failing so badly !
Problem lays in the connection at the top of the strip not the actual strip it self ! Connection is very fragile any corrosion will give the inconsistent resistance reading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a less serious note;

Absolutely but my pocket dynamometer needs a hardware upgrade so its offline for the time being. ;)

It’s up there with pocket power shower and portable 13A socket.

The variable tank spoofer just needs a bypass resistor (to reduce sensitivity) and a longer connecting lead. Then I’ll blutak it to the petrol cap and take it for a spin.

Well Bendy, I've soldered up a circuit exactly as per the link and instructions.......but still nothing.
Still got the triangle and fuel flashing.
Left the ignition on for ages initially, then started up and left to tick over until hot.

It’s up there with pocket power shower and portable 13A socket.

The variable tank spoofer just needs a bypass resistor (to reduce sensitivity) and a longer connecting lead. Then I’ll blutak it to the petrol cap and take it for a spin.
Bendy, just a thought. Will you be visiting the BMAD festival in paignton on Saturday?

Back
Top Bottom