Good Campsites / Wild Camping Spots in Ireland

essjay

Reaction score
This year I'm going to try and do some camping either on the bike or in the car with two of the kids. Looking for recommendations of good spots.

I'd like to try the odd wild camping spot but don't know how realistic it is to find/get to a wild camping location on the bike (or park the bike near to).

Anywhere in the country really.....

I'm not one for camping but I did it with the kids (& the dog :rolleyes:) once. Lough Nafooey in Connemara. There's a wee beach at the western end (by far the nicest approach is from the west off the R336) where you can park up & pitch your tent. Beautiful quiet spot. But make sure you bring everything with you as there's nothing around there :thumb

The campsite at Keel on Achill gets good reviews from a mate of mine but it seems to be busy on holiday (party !) weekends so maybe best avoided with kids

There lots of rivers & lakes around the country where I'm sure you'd get permission from the farmer to camp in his adjacent field if you asked nicely :aidan

I'm not one for camping but I did it with the kids (& the dog :rolleyes:) once. Lough Nafooey in Connemara. There's a wee beach at the western end (by far the nicest approach is from the west off the R336) where you can park up & pitch your tent. Beautiful quiet spot. But make sure you bring everything with you as there's nothing around there :thumb

The campsite at Keel on Achill gets good reviews from a mate of mine but it seems to be busy on holiday (party !) weekends so maybe best avoided with kids

There lots of rivers & lakes around the country where I'm sure you'd get permission from the farmer to camp in his adjacent field if you asked nicely :aidan

Good spot that. There is a shop and petrol pump and cafe (in the summer) about a mile and a half down the road in Finny. They are family! Stock all the basics.

I've been to this place a few times
http://www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com/

Owner is odd as be damed but it is a great spot. They will rent you a fire pit and fuel and you can bring it down to the beach. fab spot.

River valley in Redcross Co. Wicklow not a bad spot for the kids as there are plenty activities and as an added bonus there is a pub with its own brewery just outside the gate. Plenty wild camping spots in donegal and nobody ever bothers if you keep the noise down and dont make any mess.

I camped in the dunes on one of the peninsula's on the south side of the Inch Estuary / Loch thing near Castlemaine. Here It was mostly very pleasant - short dry grass, sandy so easy to peg although I just used a tarp /bivi bag and once past about 7pm nobody about. The only drawback was loads of midges first thing in the morning. I did get spied on in the evening though by some kids I didn't know were there until I changed out of my bike gear at which point there was some excited cries of "Orla, Orla, Orla there's a naked man over here" (I wasn't but would have been briefly if he hadn't shouted).

Yep Donegal offers some great scenery and plenty camping options either free or on sites at little money. And if you get hit by endless rain I can offer you a roof for free most of the time in Carrigart, North West Donegal. If you haven't been to Donegal you haven't been to Ireland lol.

Have also wild camped at harbour view beach near Kilbrittain Co Cork. Nice sand dunes to shelter you from the wind as well.

Galway - Tracth Beach near Kinvarra, exposed but worth it if the weather is right. Kerry - Derrynane Beach - wild possibilities but also the garden of Keatings Pub, reluctant to post this one but couldn't keep it to myself, excellent safe easy access beaches.

Back
Top Bottom