F 800 gt

frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi could anyone give me advise on the gt looking for a light weight tourer interested to here your experiences.

I’ve had two. Good points are: belt drive so no chain, quick enough and good on fuel, comfortable if you’re OK with the amount of knee bend/weight in the wrists, decent build quality, much lighter than most traditional tourers, rare on the roads so you won’t see that many other GT’s. Bad points: handlebar vibration can vary from OK to pretty bad, though many report this gets better with more miles, fuel tank too small at 15L for a tourer, screen too short so you need a replacement, clutch a bit on the heavy side and a bit on/off on fuelling from idle, needs crash protection as indicators will crack the fairing on a stationary drop. Most of the negatives will not affect you if you’re only touring on it, and can be worked around. Be aware that although no replacement has been announced, it’s likely that a new F850GT will be out next year, so if you do get a newer one, bargain hard as dealers will be keen to shift stock this year.

Thanks very helpful when you say tanks small is it possible to get 200 miles ?

I had an ST a few years ago. Stated fuel capacity was 16 liters. I had no problem getting 17 liters in and 200 miles was no bother. Very economical and reliable. Had the same engine in a 800 gsa for a couple of years with no problems. I’d say they are underrated. My brother has a GT and loves it. He had a deauville before that. JJH

Almost bought one a couple of years back, but ended up with an F650GS instead. Lots to like, there are few economical lightweight tourers around. Matty589 covers the basics. Some early GTs had a problem with the rear wheel belt sprocket carrier, but most will have been upgraded by now. Other issues are few & detailed fully under 'The Bikes' section on here. Alternatives..... maybe a Tracer 7/900 or either Versys.

Thanks very helpful when you say tanks small is it possible to get 200 miles ?

I never got more than 180 miles and that was 25 miles into reserve. Compared to the F700/800GS the economy seems a bit worse, probably due to the different gearing and higher tune of the GT engine. The GT tank is 15L, smaller than the ST, and whilst some love it, for me the bars are too buzzy and the on/off fuelling at low speeds became a bit too irritating - but some have successfully ironed this out with fuelling mods.

Hi could anyone give me advise on the gt looking for a light weight tourer interested to here your experiences.

I've got a 800 ST which I bought six months ago to ride on long distance trips. It's a great bike, smooth engine, deceptavly fast, easy to ride, comfortable, stable and the belt drive is better than a chain or shaft.

Having just bought another Triumph Explorer I've just advertised it on Ebay. Because they're not as popular as the GS 800 they're a bargain. Mine's a 2011, got luggage, alarm, heated grips and done less than 10k miles and for sale at £3,995

Thanks gents just done a deal on a 2014 gt hopefully get her next week ��

I had a 2013 GT new and traded it in for an 800GS (due to age and liking the GS riding style) but I have two Givi screens a smoked sports one (D5109S 13.5cm taller than the standard one) and a Givi Touring screen (D5109ST 17.5cm taller and wider) sitting in my garage, one was used for 2 rides and the other for one, so both are as new. If anybody is interested please see For Sale section.

Tony just out of interest which screen did you prefer the large one or the smaller

Sorry for the delay in replying. The sport screen took away a lot of the buffeting I was getting and the touring one removed it all. The only negative on the touring was a slight increase in noise, but if you wear earplugs it's very good.

Back
Top Bottom