Deciding whether to revisit a GSA LC or another option

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone as some of you know I had a GSA 1200 lc a few years back which ended up off the road with a useless BMW dealer for an age eventually they got it right but I ended up selling it on to another dealer.

Trying to decide what bike to get next had a 1000xt vstrom an currently on a 2017 Harley 883 iron
which I'm selling this week, one of those bucket list things ended up doing 100 miles and decided its not for me

Couple of questions anyone gone from a super tenere to any of the current GS range or visa versa
An has anyone gone from the LC GSA to a normal LC GS if so anything you missed from either
Thanks in advance

Tom

Attachments

• 29573123_10215570188552236_5957655433740085363_n.jpg
    29573123_10215570188552236_5957655433740085363_n.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 534
  • 29791313_10215570187952221_7384913542382733351_n.jpg
    29791313_10215570187952221_7384913542382733351_n.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 536
Hi Tom went from LC to Super Tenere after mine started to fall to bits. In all honesty the LC is a better Bike all round, if you buy a new one every two years. Tenere handles better is a much quieter ride and feels more nimble but most of all I wanted reliability.
As for the Harley I,am a bit young for one as I,am only 61. Ian.

The new GSA ie 2017 / 18 model has improved since the 2013/14 models . Gearbox better , handling seems better . All in all a great bike. I can’t think of anything’ else I’d buy right now. I have a t max and GSA 2017 and they do it for me

Hi Tom went from LC to Super Tenere after mine started to fall to bits. In all honesty the LC is a better Bike all round, if you buy a new one every two years. Tenere handles better is a much quieter ride and feels more nimble but most of all I wanted reliability.
As for the Harley I,am a bit young for one as I,am only 61. Ian.

How do you find the buffeting Ian? something thats been mentioned before haha Im 28 lol I must have had a mental break! Haha looking forward to getting back on a Adv bike

Tom, I'have had my 64 plate GSA for about 11k miles now and about a 1 yr.
Its been ragged about offroad and pretty much used every day for work with no problems apart from the gearbox being a bit rough...

I genuninely think you were unfortunate enough to get a bad one...

Saw your posts on UK adventure riders under your other alias....I thought you liked the strom...but I guess just not a boxer GS.

Hi Blueranger

Yeah I was really liking it till the first service the running in oil kept the engine really quiet after that it made a god awful racket not a nice racket like the Harley or a Norton but a total nightmare noise was using it for going to work on an every time you were in traffic it drove me nuts, apparently they don't have an anti backlashing gear on the clutch so once on the normal oil the V-strom caused a racket, some do it some don't I did contact Suzuki about it but they didn't even bother getting back to me so decided to move on before I went Farkling it for a trip to Iceland an Denmark this year.

I was really happy with my 64 plate GSA to did 18k miles until all hell broke loose with a Dealer at a service 3 engines and 8 months of hell a few scares on it down to them and a wrecked trip that I didn't get to go on would have been enough to try anyones patience I think. Hence letting the Big BMW go another dealer took it on knowing what had happened an went through it an sorted it before resale :)

Was hoping the Harley was the answer to my prayers, easy to put my feet down all day comfort etc, but really doesn't fit me very well. Sure it will be a great bike for someone that likes the Harley thing, bucket list item ticked off though :blast :D

Was looking at the Rallye last night in base trim

Think it might be between one of those and a 64' GSA again as I say was really happy with my Beemer before the issues.

Budget wise gonna see where I'm at after selling my MX bike one of my RD 250 LC's and the Harley which is looking like it might be gone this week with a bit of luck.

Anyone had a base Rallye? with no Dynamic ESA and the normal headlight etc?

Thinking just heated grips and a Nav mount and self service after the 2 year Approved Used Warranty.

Starting to see a pattern here....maybe its not the bikes *snigger* approved used definately the way to go for me if anythings not right it tends to break pretty quickly from new. To be fair hardly any complaints on here now about reliability anymore.

Very funny :p nah Ive got 9 other bikes in a collection at work, rd 350 lcs, tz 350s a fireblade race bike etc that are all spot on that I've worked on myself. Do 30k+ miles a year so change them out quite a bit and spread it out over a few classics so get a lot of seat time on a lot of different bikes and have a high level of mechanical understanding myself.

yeah the beemer was great until a dealer screwed up massively at a service then it was a plethora of errors 3 engines 2 gearboxes that left me with no bike for 8 months and every time it came back something else majorly wrong that they hadn't even bothered to test ride and find themselves ended up nearly being BMW's own crash test dummy on a few occasions which I wasn't happy about at all.

It says something when a 1966 650ss Norton was proving more reliable over the same time period haha

As I say was a shame as it had 17k of trouble free miles on it in under a year and a bit before they got there hands on it..

Know I'll only be taking it to Chester or Williams when I get a new one or self servicing like all my other bikes.

Quite fancying one of those Rallye's though

Moto ted on the wirral from ukadvrider services bmws so not too far from manc. I bought mine from rainbow and its serviced by williams which is a 10minute walk from the office.

Yep Can't fault Williams or Chester cracking dealerships, same with Wollaston and Bahnstormer

This time round I'm going to buy a GS911 and self service I think after the 2 year period be far more economical than the extended warranty

Locking this now for a more narrowed down thread

If it was my money I would buy an Africa twin. And when I can afford one, thats exactly what I will do. Im done with the current crop of BMW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom