nav vI and consistent pairing with phone for voice calls

pbbanks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a Nav Vi to pair with phone and headset to get it to keep the connection\voice capability after switching bike off\on (e.g. when refilling with petrol)?.
I have a blue tooth helmet headset and android phone. It works well so long as you switch the phone blue tooth on to pair it with the Nav after the Nav has paired with the headset. So the order has to be - 1) switch on NAV. 2) switch on headset. 3) switch on phone blue tooth. When they have all paired I can listen to music from an SD card in the NAV, make\receive calls, etc. The problem comes when you switch the bike off for a short stop and the Nav switches off (For example when filling up with petrol or a coffee stop). When I set off again everything appears to be Ok , the Nav shows both headset and phone have blue tooth connections but if I make\receive a call through the Nav it all works OK except there is no sound\mic through the headset.
To get it to work again I have to take the phone out of my jacket pocket and switch the bluetooth off\on again so that it has made it's connection to the Nav after the headset, which obviously you can't do without stopping again.

May not sound like a major problem but it makes the whole setup a bit pointless for answering calls whilst on the move. I don't get many calls, and don't make many calls on the move, but would like the feature to work reliably if possible. As it is in order to be able to rely on it I have to remember to take my phone out of my inside jacket pocket\unlock it\switch blue tooth off\back on after every time the bikes ignition has been switched off.

Anyone else got the phone to work reliably with the NAV VI ?.

Mine is rock solid since the updated 4.90 software was released. I use a Nav 6 with Uclear HBC100Plus Intercom / Headset.

I always go Uclear / Nav 6 when powering on, the phone (iPhone 8 Plus) hooks up automatically.

Are you running 4.90?

Yes, I updated it to 4.90 last week but it still has no sound\mic after switching bike off\on again. Are you sure yours has headphone sound\mic after the bike has been switched off\on? . Mine appears to be all Ok and I can make\receive a call from the NAV, well I should say it seems to look Ok but when I test it to a phone there's no sound until I've switched the phone blue tooth off and on again. It's as though the NAV needs a way of making the bluetooth connections again in the correct order -- i.e. headset and then phone. Don't know in what order the NAV does make the connections? but after a short stop both the headset and phone blue tooth have been left on so I assume the NAV decides the order it connects them.

Absolutely sure, and I move my Nav 6 between my GSA and my Turban, and I always get audio / mic after shutting the bike down for fuel stops etc.

Since the 4.90 update it’s been a solid device, before that I was working with Tiphane at Garmin trying to resolve music issues etc by doing a lot of logging. It was dire before 4.90 but now I’ve had barely any issues.

Thanks for the info. I'll just have to live with stop\starting the blue tooth on phone I think. I've just been testing it again and remade the blue tooth connections from scratch on the NAV in different orders, headset first and then phone: then the other way round. But after switching bike off and on I always have to switch phone blue tooth off\on again to get audio for the phone through the Nav to the headset. Maybe its the way my headset behaves ?? it's a Freecom Colo -- £35 Chinese one. works well apart from this issue . Shame the NAV doesn't have a way of controlling it's blue tooth sequence of starting up it's connections and start the phone last (that's what it says it needs you to do when pairing start headset first and then the phone) , it should do it itself! :) .

Don't know why this (and a following thread) has been moved to a section titled "Bike Comm’s inc linking phones, music, I can’t hear anything" ??.
They are both directly related to getting the things to work with a NAV6 (not with the bikes comms) so the obvious place for them to be is in the "NAV6" section. No one will ever see them in a title like "Bike Comm’s inc linking phones, music, I can’t hear anything"

Don't know why this (and a following thread) has been moved to a section titled "Bike Comm’s inc linking phones, music, I can’t hear anything" ??.
They are both directly related to getting the things to work with a NAV6 (not with the bikes comms) so the obvious place for them to be is in the "NAV6" section. No one will ever see them in a title like "Bike Comm’s inc linking phones, music, I can’t hear anything"

I think it’s because that whole section’s main title is ‘GPS Info’ ie using the Nav6 as a GPS?

:nenau

The GPS section was designed to help people use their GPS devices. These devices have now evolved into home infotainment centres, telephone exchanges, Siri question tools, text readers, weather forecast predictors, dangerous road warners and God knows what else inbetween.

Maybe its the way my headset behaves ?? it's a Freecom Colo -- £35 Chinese one.

Of course you can always ask your question on your android phone’s forum, the Garmin forum, your bluetooth helmet’s forum and even the shonky Chinese bluetooth forum as to why you can’t get them all to work.... or you can just be happy that this communication problem between various bits of hardware and software now has an expanded section of its own.

Mine is very random, I have the Nav6, iPhone 8 and BMW Comms system in my helmet - a lot of the time it works for phone calls, other times the sat nav can initiate a call inbound or out bound, but the audio won't switch from phone to bluetooth comms - so for instance my wife phoned me yesterday on way home, I pressed the button on Nav to answer, she could not hear me, I could not hear her, but she heard my bike and surrounding noise. So debating what is causing the issue....

"she heard my bike and surrounding noise." strange that yours is still picking up sound from somewhere. Is it the phone mic and speaker that is still active rather than the bluetooth link to the helmet for audio??. Have you tried stopping\starting the phone bluetooth last thing to see if it then connects the audio to the helmet for phone. I have contacted Garmin via their website but they haven't been any help. Firstly they said to uninstall Smartlink and bluetooth connections and then remake\re install smartlink; that didn't help. I replied that it hadn't fixed it. They then sent a standard reply a week later for problems with Smartlink?? (which I don't have a problem with). Don't think they had even re read my original problem.
I have the Motorola G4 android and the Nav6 that isn't working reliably with the audio. Like I said early I have to stop\start the bluetooth on the phone after the bike has been switched off\on for it to make the audio connection to the helmet for the phone through the Nav6. Without restarting it all the bluetooth symbols on the Nav 6 and phone show it has been connected OK but when I test it there's no audio. I also have an older Motorola android phone and I've set that up with the Nav6 and that does! reconnect OK. It is an older version of bluetooth share on that so maybe that is compatible with the Nav6 and the newer version on my later contract Moto G isn't.
Some will say it must be the phone and not the Nav6 at fault but the Motorola is their standard software installed on millions of phones so I don't think they will change it just for me because it doesn't work with a Nav6. Others may say use "use your old phone if that works" but thats not practical to change the sim across everytime I want to go out on the bike. The other option is to forget the Nav6 and phone and just enjoy riding the bike :) , think that's the route I'll take!. Does seem a shame that the Nav6 isn't a reliable communicator though. Would have thought it may just need a delay in the Nav6 software when remaking the bluetooth connections after shutdown\startup, after having stopped the bike, so that the bluetooth headset connection is made 10 seconds before the bluetooth phone connection is made?. But that's up to Garmin I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom