1290 SA S What Tyres

paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got the standard Pirelli Scorpion 2's my 1290 now need new boots, do i go for Conti Trail attacks or stick with the scorpions, seen trail attacks blister badly when half worn on an 1190. But hear good things on there grip.

Any suggestions

Paddy

I’ve just had a set of Conti Road Attack 3’s fitted (I only ride the SA on the road).

Only done 160 miles on them, on a mix of dry and very wet roads, and they were stunningly good.

They have a ‘traction skin’ which basically means they’re pre-scrubbed...and I believe it, particularly when the heavens opened and a torrential downpour ensued for 40 mins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m recently fitted Metzeler Road Tec 01’s and considering the crappy cold weather they’ve been very good.

I’ve just had a set of Conti Road Attack 3’s fitted (I only ride the SA on the road).

Only done 160 miles on them, on a mix of dry and very wet roads, and they were stunningly good.

They have a ‘traction skin’ which basically means they’re pre-scrubbed...and I believe it, particularly when the heavens opened and a torrential downpour ensued for 40 mins!

This.

These tyres are outstanding in the wet. I rode 120 miles on wet roads on Saturday, and was riding as if the roads were dry. These tyres are phenomenal.

This.

These tyres are outstanding in the wet. I rode 120 miles on wet roads on Saturday, and was riding as if the roads were dry. These tyres are phenomenal.

I’ve always been a fan of Continental tyres, and knowing you were happy with them was a good enough recommendation.

But....their performance in the wet on Saturday was outstanding!!!

I can’t wait to royally spank them in when we’re there in 2 weeks on delicious dry roads

I’m recently fitted Metzeler Road Tec 01’s and considering the crappy cold weather they’ve been very good.

Ride Magazine recently did a wet weather tyre test and these came up, closely followed by Michelin Road Attack 5 and Bridgestone T31, and the road attack 3's were only slightly behind those two in 4th.

Amazing how quickly tyres go from being the best available to also ran's, the Roadsmart 3 was considered by many to be the best wet tyre when launched a few years ago, it was back in 6th place just a fraction behind the Angel GT in 5th.

Even the Avon Spirit in 7th place got a decent write up which also shows how far tyres have come since my early biking days when nothing worked well in the cold and wet....

...but if you want a nostalgic tyre that gives very little wet grip and takes ages to warm up Maxxis have this covered.

I’ve always been a fan of Continental tyres, and knowing you were happy with them was a good enough recommendation.

But....their performance in the wet on Saturday was outstanding!!!

I can’t wait to royally spank them in when we’re there in 2 weeks on delicious dry roads getting totally fucking lost again

Fixed

I'd say the Metz's are a bit too lively for a big ADV bike. Maybe the Kato is different but I went from Pilot road trails to 01's on the GS and will go back to Pilot RT's - the 01's just don't feel as planted and we've had a few interesting issues mid corner in the damp that woke me up! I think 01's suit sports tourers or sports bikes more that ADV. That said, the stock 1290 S tires have been pretty good so far with excellent braking and slippery conditions control - not slow, not fast steering.

Agree with ChrisA - have found the standard Scorpion 2's very good so far and see no reason not to stick with them ;)

I'm glad you said that, seeing as I've just put a Scorpion II on the rear after the Avon Trailrider lasted barely 3500 miles before squaring off.

Original Scorpions were on my Tiger 800 from new and were crap even in the dry. Hoping the latest incarnation are miles better

Mine is pretty much a year old exactly and still on the OE scorpions. Nearly 5k out the rear (never had a rear tyre last that long before - normally shot by 4.5) and plenty of tread left although beginning to get quite squared off. Pretty happy with the grip and will probably replace with the same ... :thumb2

Agree with ChrisA - have found the standard Scorpion 2's very good so far and see no reason not to stick with them ;)

Mine were fine until the tread started peeling off!:eek:

Mine is pretty much a year old exactly and still on the OE scorpions. Nearly 5k out the rear (never had a rear tyre last that long before - normally shot by 4.5) and plenty of tread left although beginning to get quite squared off. Pretty happy with the grip and will probably replace with the same ... :thumb2

5k miles in a year?! What have you been doing? :p

Trail attacks it is. £30 quid more than the Scorpions. but whats that only a tank of fuel, roll on the summer.

Like Nutty chopped a GSA for my KTM and no regrets at all. love it.

I've had 2 sets of TAs and the rears lasted over 6k, although I did get uneven wear on both rears. Tried the Avons as a mate rated them on his S10 but they've squared off after 3.5k.

Always after that grippier /longevity equation so giving the Scorps a chance.

Riding other bikes ... !!

Must be tough, knowing you’ve got the bestest bike in the world (tm :D) ever at home, and you’re riding around on an old RT all day!

Back
Top Bottom