Malaga to the Chunnel

That A1515 (from the A23 motorway - Autovia) to Rubielos De Mora is nice, short, but nice to ride. From Rubielos de Mora you should get back on the Autovia via the A232 to Mora De Rubielos (NOTE: other way around) and A228 back to the M.way. If it's a nice day, just before you get to the M.way again there is a nice place called El Molinete. The food is excellent, weekends they fire up the BBQ and you can eat outside. It's a farm-come-adventure center with horses. You'll see it advertised on the RHS. Great place to eat if it's a warm summer's eve (which it will be in July, believe me!). It's not far from either Mora or Rubielos.

However, in both towns there are any number of great places to eat (not all of them with outside tables, though). In Mora there is a castle you can visit, too.

So funny if you want to avoid pissed Spanish, you have to avoid the whole of Spain, but part of the beauty of the coast road is all the little towns, you can stop at wish, also the coast road is at least 10 degrees cooler than the inland roads, specially in July and August, as for the bends, I thought our bikes go around bends.........:nenau

I disagree Smogbob. Whislt a difference of 10 degrees isn't unheard of, that will mainly be the case in Andulucia where it does get very hot in July! In any case, inland there is a marked variation between night and day (except those mentioned below) and that gives the impression of coolness at night. The thing is, though, inland the ride is dryer (drink lots). Horses for courses but personally I cope better with a dry heat than a humid one. It is much cooler in the evenings, especially when you get up towards Teruel (Mora & Rubielos) and above. The exception is Zaragoza (and Madrid, the plains - Castille) which, for some climactic reason, is hot....very hot all day and night!

Simon's route has the added advantage of FAR less traffic on the roads than the dreaded coast road.

That A1515 (from the A23 motorway - Autovia) to Rubielos De Mora is nice, short, but nice to ride. From Rubielos de Mora you should get back on the Autovia via the A232 to Mora De Rubielos (NOTE: other way around) and A228 back to the M.way. If it's a nice day, just before you get to the M.way again there is a nice place called El Molinete. The food is excellent, weekends they fire up the BBQ and you can eat outside. It's a farm-come-adventure center with horses. You'll see it advertised on the RHS. Great place to eat if it's a warm summer's eve (which it will be in July, believe me!). It's not far from either Mora or Rubielos.

However, in both towns there are any number of great places to eat (not all of them with outside tables, though). In Mora there is a castle you can visit, too.

Thanks

We are going to follow Simon's route, no doubt we will vary it a bit here and there. Will give El Molinete a try. Cheers.

I disagree Smogbob. Whislt a difference of 10 degrees isn't unheard of, that will mainly be the case in Andulucia where it does get very hot in July! In any case, inland there is a marked variation between night and day (except those mentioned below) and that gives the impression of coolness at night. The thing is, though, inland the ride is dryer (drink lots). Horses for courses but personally I cope better with a dry heat than a humid one. It is much cooler in the evenings, especially when you get up towards Teruel (Mora & Rubielos) and above. The exception is Zaragoza (and Madrid, the plains - Castille) which, for some climactic reason, is hot....very hot all day and night!

Simon's route has the added advantage of FAR less traffic on the roads than the dreaded coast road.

Yep possibly I took for granted that most inland was a lot hotter as I have spent more time riding around Andalucia, however never had a problem on the coast road in whatever months, more trafic yes, but lovely scenic ride, but at least we have spelt out all the options for the OP and he is happy now. :beerjug:

Another one here. when I came here 14 years ago, I thought that I would never carry a man bag around with me, bag's are for puffs. I changed my mind, when the practicality of carrying papers and documents around sunk in, as you walk every where in Gib, because nowhere is more than a 15 minuets walk away, and in the sun too. So now I'm a committed bag man. They are sooooo handy...:p

Too true, with the one hours here is sooo handy to have some lipstick and powder to hand for a quick touch up! :)

Yep possibly I took for granted that most inland was a lot hotter as I have spent more time riding around Andalucia, however never had a problem on the coast road in whatever months, more trafic yes, but lovely scenic ride, but at least we have spelt out all the options for the OP and he is happy now. :beerjug:

I'm lucky and have the best of both worlds, with a - tiny! - apartment in Tarragona on the Med. and a cottage up here in the Pyrenees @ 750 metres altitude. Down on the coast in July/August it's usually about 30º night and day while up here it's 35º by day and down to 20º at night. You really feel the difference!

Down around Teruel it's all about 1,000 metres and the night-time temperatures are much less. The camp sites that I use for my HISS off-road events are both over 1,400 metres and it's, er, refreshing ...

There are numerous 'merenderos' in the Teruel mountains for you to roll up with your own stuff and have a BBQ. They are mostly in lovely locations near villages but some are very remote. Well worth doing ...

y12.jpg

I really love that area, having spent months there over the years! :)

Regs

Simon

Yeah, there are but in July there is usually a moratorium on them. They will usually be taped up. You can take sandwiches and picnics but you can't make fire. June - Sept normally but it's fluid dependant on the heat.

Yeah, there are but in July there is usually a moratorium on them. They will usually be taped up. You can take sandwiches and picnics but you can't make fire. June - Sept normally but it's fluid dependant on the heat.

Yes, there is a big difference, but often the covered ones like this are OK. But - if in doubt - DON'T!!!

screen-shot-2017-03-15-at-18-50-06.png

Those plastic bags are all that was left of a team of volunteer firefighters in about 2006 after some f***wit insisted on having h9s BBQ on a windy day at an 'open' BBQ place ...

Simon

I remember that, what an utter waste of life. They weren't the last either, in Portugal only last summer, there were in the teens of people, who died trying to escape a wild fire on a 100 yard stretch of road in the mountains. It was a terrible site to see, with burnt out vehicles and charred body's every where. Spanish T.V. can be quite graphic at times.

I remember that, what an utter waste of life. They weren't the last either, in Portugal only last summer, there were in the teens of people, who died trying to escape a wild fire on a 100 yard stretch of road in the mountains. It was a terrible site to see, with burnt out vehicles and charred body's every where. Spanish T.V. can be quite graphic at times.

Yes, very graphic indeed, and the bastard that stated it ignored the pleas of a warden, who had no police powers, telling the court that he 'had bought the lamb chops so had to cook them. Thirty years weren't enough and he's probably out by now ...

The other tragic aspect is that those firefighters were all from a small village, devastating the demographics. A few years ago there was a big fire in Els Ports nature reserve - soon to be 'promoted' to a national Park - when they drafted in teams of firefighters form all over, including La Pobla de Segur here in the Pyrenees. Away from 'home' all six of them became encircled and five died, the other suffering terrible burns. There was terrible court case with lost of fine pointing about who was to blame that I don't think has ever been satisfactorily resolved so it's hard to imagine how their families cope ...

Simon

Back
Top Bottom