Best place to go with 7 days?

Mid May, Simon

I agree that it’s a shame that he’s hamstrung by his mate’s timetable.

Might it not be an idea to set off independently and your mate then catches up by hacking down the motorways? That way, you both win or you kick your heels until 8 pm on Friday and probably won’t set off (from Manchester) until some time on Saturday.

I did may a few years ago. Down to Reims. Stayed on a nice municipal campsite on the river. Did day loops out using the Adac mapped routes. 1 day rode to and around the b500 route/area. Each ride was about 220 miles. Plenty great roads. Popped into Luxembourg too. Then back through verdun etc. All in 6 days. I have all routes at home if you want. Much easier to leave camp set up each night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above , something like Ardennes then down the Mosel and back via Adenau/N’Ring then La Roche en Ardennes all as shown below.
Nice camp site in Bouillon by river (Ardennes) or stay in Hotel de La Poste which is fab.

So say Calais-Bouillon-Bernkastel-Cochem-Adenau-La Roche en Ardennes-Calais

9e067208300ce385024b3cd4518fff6d.jpg

I'd take a very scenic route to Hull or Newcastle (depending which ferry is cheapest) on the Saturday and then head down to the Eifel/Mosel/Ardennes region.

There's a very nice campsite in Cochem in the Mosel Valley next to the river :beerjug: Well it looks nice if you're into that kind of thing - I always stop in hotels :D

I'd take a very scenic route to Hull or Newcastle (depending which ferry is cheapest) on the Saturday and then head down to the Eifel/Mosel/Ardennes region.

There's a very nice campsite in Cochem in the Mosel Valley next to the river :beerjug: Well it looks nice if you're into that kind of thing - I always stop in hotels :D

Ties in with what I suggested two posts above !

So camping in Bouillon and Cochem !

Lots of superb ideas, really appreciate your help. I'll have to really study them as it's all new to me.. Plan A is still West Scotland but all the suggestions are maybe making me think Europe should take priority, would be great to ride the different cultures and landscapes.

It’s your choice but I’d be heading for Belgium and if all the different factors were on my side I’d spend a day or two in Germany then take a different route home. It’s a shame you can’t get an overnight ferry out but you can leave that for another day and just use the tunnel. I’d still set off after your mate finishes work and get 3 hours down the road before stopping in a Travelodge then setting off early in the morning to maximise my time in Europe rather than lose the best part of a day simply getting over the water.

It’s your choice but I’d be heading for Belgium and if all the different factors were on my side I’d spend a day or two in Germany then take a different route home. It’s a shame you can’t get an overnight ferry out but you can leave that for another day and just use the tunnel. I’d still set off after your mate finishes work and get 3 hours down the road before stopping in a Travelodge then setting off early in the morning to maximise my time in Europe rather than lose the best part of a day simply getting over the water.

Yeah, I'm wanting to set off then too, but don't think he's up for it after a long day at work..

Me and SWMBO have just got back from Spain.
2 days ride from Calais and your in Barcelona.
Wouldn't dream of camping mind, plenty of hotels on route(Booking.com is your friend)
It long days on boring motorways but you get the sun on your back when its pissing down here.

That doesn’t sound like fun to me or the best way to spend 7 days with 4 of them on motorways !

There’s plenty to see as soon as you get to France if you’re interested in military history from the D day beaches across to Belgium for the World War I stuff like Ypres etc

Not saying I'm not interested, but wanting more of a riding holiday as opposed to stopped sight seeing.. That and enjoy setting up camp over a few beers 😉

If you take the get there and the get back time into account, 7 days isn't much for abroad and from Manchester. (how far are you going to get in that first and last day that will include either a ferry or the tunnel ?). With only 7 days, I'd say Scotland is a good shout.
(I am lucky that I'm 20 mins from the tunnel so in one day I can easily be in say Annecy ...).

Although I'm, obviously, well placed for riding about the Scottish highlands I'm 650 miles further north than you and it takes me two days to get to Annecy, the first day being a long fight to get to Kent but after that it gets enjoyable. You lucky man you.

That doesn’t sound like fun to me or the best way to spend 7 days with 4 of them on motorways !

French motorways are often not busy and open farmland so you get a pleasant view while riding - I can enjoy that whereas I hate the British motorways from Barnsley / Sheffield area south as it is always congested!

Not saying I'm not interested, but wanting more of a riding holiday as opposed to stopped sight seeing.. That and enjoy setting up camp over a few beers ��

Mid-May is around the corner. After four pages and some 57 posts (some of which even goes as far as giving you some ideas) what have you and your mate decided on?

abr Ireland rally,5 quid a night camping with free showers.good pub with food on site.3 nights then take off and see some more of Ireland.

Mid-May is around the corner. After four pages and some 57 posts (some of which even goes as far as giving you some ideas) what have you and your mate decided on?
well we are going on Saturday 12th May, and the weather forecasts are just starting coming in, and although Scotland is still the preffered choice, it's looking a bit soggy so the Hull to Zeebrugge on the Saturday night is looking most likely. About £250 return through P&O.. I'd probably look at Belgium, Luxembourg, Baden Baden.. My mate doesn't fancy too much in the way of motorway slogging on his Triumph Street Triple so I'll have to not push it too much..

Back
Top Bottom