Trickle charger powers up the sat nav??

tornadof3

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I have now got my Zumo 660 fitted into a lockable mount so it lives on the bike. I noticed yesterday that the sat nav seemed to be turning itself on with the bike parked in the garage. Figured out it was probably the trickle charger (BMW) as I know that uses the canbus system and the sat nav is wired into a canbus circuit feed. Just wondering if anyone else has this experience and is there any workaround other than removing the sat nav when the bike is on trickle charge? By 'turning itself on', I mean that after I have turned everything off and gone away with everything 'dark' in the garage, I pop back in later and sat nav is on. Turn sat nav off again... pop back an hour later, sat nav is on again. Bike is a 2008 GSA
cheers

Same happens with my Garmin (340LM I think) and an Optimate on my 1200 twin cam. I've not tried a work around, I just take the satnav off. I then leave it on a shelf in the garage so that I can knock it off like I did with the last one.

OK, cheers. At least it doesn't sound like a particular fault with my bike and more a generic irritant.

Like OP says above remove the satnav, it is a canbus issue, as soon as the Garmin senses the charge it starts up, many have the same problem.

Fit an extra socket wired direct to the battery via suitable fuse. Use this socket to charge your battery.
Added benefit is that you can also use standard chargers. You'll also find it useful if you need to feed something with a higher load than 5 Amps (like a tyre pump).

Back
Top Bottom