There’s a nice simple ride suggestion in this month’s RiDE magazine

Wapping

Reaction score
Based on a circular route of about 185 miles, including:

Spa
Dinant
Rochefort
La Roche en Ardenne

As the magazine suggests, any of these towns are within a very easy day’s ride of Calais and the Dutch / Belgian ports. Even the western Channel ports do not render them impossible.

In the shops now or download the route from the RiDE website: www.ride.co.uk/routes

PS For those Adventure bikers of a nervous disposition, RiDE has even included suggestions on bikerfriendly places to have a cup of tea (brew, to use the vernacular) and nosebag.

Are there armed guards at each recommended hotel and comfort break to prevent theft of 1200 GSA's ?

Are there armed guards at each recommended hotel and comfort break to prevent theft of 1200 GSA's ?

Oh yes there are. They’ve even taken the precaution of re-commissioning the King Tiger tank (not keyless ignition) at La Gleize to take out any wild boar scurrying across the roads on the south eastern section.

Is this a Yorkshire thing?

I have a mate from that neck of the woods and all he was concerned about on trips was the cost of the Hotel and if they have secure bike parking for his £1,000 bike, I think he was worried some scum might kick it over and used it as a ramp to load our £10,000+ KTM and BMW's into their van.

I have a mate from that neck of the woods and all he was concerned about on trips was the cost of the Hotel and if they have secure bike parking for his £1,000 bike, I think he was worried some scum might kick it over and used it as a ramp to load our £10,000+ KTM and BMW's into their van.

Methinks you haven't seen the hoo hah about a certain fellow not taking his £20,000 bike abroad, and going on a cheap runabout instead. :D

The time.is ripe for someone to develop an app for the truly canny? It could be like Kurrviger.De but should provide the cheapest possible route. I suggest :

'OWMUCH!.COM

Yorkshireman goes abroad you say AND uses an hotel too, ideas above their station.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Damn, Hotels....... what ever happened to the true adventure spirit of wild campers on here!? :D

Damn, Hotels....... what ever happened to the true adventure spirit of wild campers on here!? :D

They come on this site, asking for places where it’s best to wild camp. Which rather defeats the spontaneous nature of the concept.

They come on this site, asking for places where it’s best to wild camp. Which rather defeats the spontaneous nature of the concept.
Nor, is there any mention of where one's butler and valet stay.

I suppose we are all individualistic in our approach and needs, be awfully boring if we were all the same.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back on topic, I like the Ardennes, only flashed past / through it for many years, but we have used it as a destination in its own right a few times now (twice last year) and have a long weekend planned in the area this spring and a couple of nights in Luxembourg on our way back from the French Alps this summer.

Only a couple of hours of motorway from Calais and I can turn off onto ever improving back roads the rest of the way.

Plenty of other nice / interesting places to stop, I like Bouillon a lot, Bastogne is good for those interested in Battle of the Bulge, Durbury is another good spot, and a bit further afield in Luxembourg I really like Esch-sur-sure. Etternach is another good town at the far side of Luxembourg, fairly close to Vianden (another great place to stop)

Pretty much the entire region can be explored (well, ridden) with just a few days riding, and it is hard to find any roads that are not great.

The time.is ripe for someone to develop an app for the truly canny? It could be like Kurrviger.De but should provide the cheapest possible route. I suggest :

'OWMUCH!.COM

That's gone off thread................... at a fair tangent:D

Back
Top Bottom