Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route to Dent from Dublin

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Route to Dent from Dublin

Hi,

Booking ferries here. I've had a bright idea but I'm wondering about the sense in it. I'm thinking of getting the ferry from Belfast to Cairngann and driving down to Dent from there and then taking the Hollyhead to dublin ferry home. Time wise going across, it's about the same, taking into account the ferry duration and the ride from Dublin to Belfast.

Would it be a nice ride from Cairngann to Dent via the lake district national park? The most direct route appears to be the A591.

Just curious as to peoples opinions, It's saying it's a 5.5 hour ride. With photos opportunities and stops, more like seven. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly Old Boots View Post
    Hi,

Booking ferries here. I've had a bright idea but I'm wondering about the sense in it. I'm thinking of getting the ferry from Belfast to Cairngann and driving down to Dent from there and then taking the Hollyhead to dublin ferry home. Time wise going across, it's about the same, taking into account the ferry duration and the ride from Dublin to Belfast.

Would it be a nice ride from Cairngann to Dent via the lake district national park? The most direct route appears to be the A591.

Just curious as to peoples opinions, It's saying it's a 5.5 hour ride. With photos opportunities and stops, more like seven. Is it worth it?

Thanks
    A tentative yes. The A591 will be crowded as will the whole of the Lakes.
    On the other side, the less time spent in Holyhead the better and it's not a great ride to and from.

Crowded on a Friday? Is it worth it from a visual point of view? I've never been.

Personally I would come further east before dropping south through the north Penines

Avoiding the Lake district
    No one nods at me cos they think I'm a Cnut

If you want a proper circular route then head for the Galloway hills after Belfast - Cairnryan. You can take in a forest drive en route. Then head south through the Northumberland national park to Alston and then to Dent. I'll have a go at posting a route later.
    Start every day with a smile ... Get it over with!

The Lake District is fabulous scenery and out of season, great roads too. In season, and May will be, the roads will be busy and not a lot of riding fun, but the views are great, there are some fantastic pubs/cafes en route. If you're going home on the same ferry route, I'd do the Lakes one way, and North Pennines/Northumbria the other... And the A712 through New Galloway in each direction!
    Riding out tonight to case the promised land...

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly Old Boots View Post
    Crowded on a Friday? Is it worth it from a visual point of view? I've never been.
    Yes it's crowded even on a Friday. It's worth spending days there but not hours en route. I would go with Redricks suggestion.

Thanks Lads. I appreciate the local knowledge. Navigating the motorways from Hollyhead looks like no fun at all. I'll get onto google maps now and have a look with the places you mentioned. If you have time to scribble a quick route Scotboxer, that would be great. I always enjoy this part of a trip, the organising and gps routing etc!

Here you go.

Very much a scribble! The main criterion being to avoid the A75 and M6. Info about the forest drives here.

If you get fed up by the time you get to Alston, you can cut off before the town and head over Hartside Height and admire the ruins of the famed bikermates caff on your way down to the M6 (or A6) and a rapid blatt down to Dent.

Edit: the route is taking up more than the site's allowance for uploads. PM me an email address and I'll try sending it direct. or is there another solution?
    Start every day with a smile ... Get it over with!

Sent you a PM. Thanks.

Pm sent

I'd suggest something like Cairnryan - New Galloway Forest - Dumfries - Lockerbie - B7076 to Gretna Green - Longtown - Brampton - Alston - Middleton-in-Teesdale - Brough - Kirkby Stephen - Garsdale Head - Dent
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I'd suggest something like Cairnryan - New Galloway Forest - Dumfries - Lockerbie - B7076 to Gretna Green - Longtown - Brampton - Alston - Middleton-in-Teesdale - Brough - Kirkby Stephen - Garsdale Head - Dent

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the one

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Is wales that bad that people would want to avoid it. I remember recently seeing a campaign over here espousing Wales as a great scenic destination, although the ad centred around some bloke flying his plane along the coast so maybe best viewed from the Ryanair jet en route to somewhere beyond? Is there a scenic route through Wales or is it an industrial wasteland through which one would need to get through quickly?

Yes....

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    +1
    We did something similar a few years ago, coming back from Ireland- a lovely days ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast