Bike occasionally running rough

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks
Hoping somebody can shed some light on an issue I am having. When i restart and goto drive the bike it tries to cut out and feels like the right side is struggling for fuel until i rev / almost prime it for 10- 15 seconds and then it's fine and goes like a rocket. This only happens when i park the bike on the side stand after driving and running at operating temperature but not when it's totally cold. It doesn't happen if I park it on the center stand regardless of temperatures.
I hope this post makes sense and hopefully ye can point me in the right direction
Cheers
Dub 24

2004 1150gs adventure 62,000 odd miles
Cheers
Dub 24

Twinspark? The normal starting point for occasional rough running is a breaking down secondary coil. Easily tested by getting the bike running and then, one at a time, removing the plug cap from the bottom plug. If it stops - the stick-coil that side is your problem...

if it stops would that not indicate that you've just disconnected a coil that was working?
Disconnecting a guffed one will make no difference to the running surely?

And don't call me Shirley

if it stops would that not indicate that you've just disconnected a coil that was working?

If it stops when you've removed the bottom coil, it indicates that the stick coil on that side isn't working - as there's nothing producing a spark on that side...

That's what Mike said..

Cheers folks for the advice would a duff coil produce the rough running only when the bike is turned off when warm and on the side stand or all the time regardless of temperature and whether the bike is left on the side or center stand
Cheers

Ok folks got home from work and disconnected each coil one at a time and engine/ tick over went to pot until i reconnected it so am assuming they are all good. I checked that the throttle cables are seated properly and they are fine. I am wondering could it be fuel / filter related.
Cheers
Dub 24

My guess would be water in the bottom of tank only takes a small amount to cause problems is the tank filler drain tube clear open the cap a it’s the small drain hole blow it clear

Cheers Gary for your reply, funny you should mention the recess area around the filler neck it was blocked and full of water a few weeks ago until I cleared it. I think tank removal and fuel filter/ lines check is in order
Thanks again
Cheers
Dub 24

Ok folks got home from work and disconnected each coil one at a time and engine/ tick over went to pot until i reconnected it so am assuming they are all good.

By the sounds of it they aren't all good as the engine should run as per normal.

Pull the lower/secondary plug caps on BOTH sides, then see if the bike runs on just the main coil caps.
It should run perfectly normally. If it only runs on one side then the coil cap is faulty on the non running side.
If it doesn't start at all then both have failed.

Cheers mike for the chat on the phone and the above suggestion will give that a try

Ok just went out started the bike and pulled both lower leads no difference bike ran fine

Back
Top Bottom