650 Twin Starter issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q plate

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's had a similar problem been looking at a friends 650 Twin (800) 2008 approx 20k. Left overnight/from cold the starter struggles but ok soon as it's been running a short while. The voltage at the starter drops as low as 5/6 volts on the cold start (new battery fitted & old battery fine on my bike so eliminated that) stripped the starter checked brushes/bearings/armature/magnets & continuity etc all according to the surprisingly detailed Haynes manual all seems good. All electrical connections checked and cleaned I guess the next/only thing to try is a new starter but thought I'd ask here just in case.

Regards AL

Not sure if anyone's had a similar problem been looking at a friends 650 Twin (800) 2008 approx 20k. Left overnight/from cold the starter struggles but ok soon as it's been running a short while. The voltage at the starter drops as low as 5/6 volts on the cold start (new battery fitted & old battery fine on my bike so eliminated that) stripped the starter checked brushes/bearings/armature/magnets & continuity etc all according to the surprisingly detailed Haynes manual all seems good. All electrical connections checked and cleaned I guess the next/only thing to try is a new starter but thought I'd ask here just in case.

Regards AL

There is a history of alternator failures on the older F800 twins, where the stator windings overheat and fail. I had to change my stator, which was cooked, on my F800 GS. BMW eventually sorted the problem with an updated stator, fitted to new bikes around 2012.
I would check out and confirm the charging circuit is OK before paying out for a new starter, I’m not aware of any starter issues.
On a healthy alternator the DC voltage should be around 14.5 volts measured across the battery, with engine running.
The three phase AC voltage directly from the alternator (before it goes through the voltage rectifier should be around 50 to 60 volts across the three yellow wires at 3,000 rpm. If it is the stator, be aware that BMW only sell the complete alternator assembly, which is pricy. You can buy updated stator only from a company in Germany, via eBay and it’s fairly easy to change.
BMW also recommend that you change the voltage rectifier, I fitted a new one, however the old was fine, and is now a good spare.
Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info forgot to say that across the battery it's charging at 14+ volts didn't delve any further as that appears in order

Regards AL

If you do need to replace the starter and are interested in saving some money you might want to look at used or even new but for non-BMW applications. Here's a list of machines sharing the same starter. I have had this list for a while so it could probably be updated to include the more recent model years.

Manufacturer: ARROWHEAD, Manufacturer
Part Number: SND0478-AD

Additonal Fitment:
1999-2009 BMW F650GS
2000-2007 BRP / Can-Am DS650
2000-2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
2008-2009 BMW F800GS
2000-2005 BMW F650CS
2009-2009 BMW F800R
2008-2009 Honda TRX250TM FOURTRAX RECON
2008-2009 Honda TRX250TE FOURTRAX RECON ES
2004-2007 BRP / Can-Am DS650X
2002-2004 BRP / Can-Am DS650 BAJA
1997-1999 BMW F650ST
1993-2000 BMW F650
2005-2008 BMW F800S

That voltage drop when you press the start button seems way too much. Surely you are losing the clock? Has the battery been tested thoroughly for CCA output?

Have you checked the starter relay? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...08-K72-BMW-F_650_GS_0218,0228_&diagId=12_1474

If the alternator is charging OK & I suspect you are starting out with the battery trickle charged full anyway, this just has to be either a starter motor failure or current is leaking away through the relay or starter circuitry. Accepting you have worked on the starter motor, I am not familiar with Haynes test procedure, but I suspect a problem with the armature if all else checks out.

Thanks for the info fellas the bikes now back home in Scotland, runs great when it's going but I'll forward the info & update if it gets sorted cheers :thumb2

Replacement used starters fixed the problem voltage drop now 9.5/10v all good cheers :thumb2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom