Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Half a Spanish ride report

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    30th of April. Up and out early after breakfast and coffees...best time of day...chilly again but blue skies. Today i rode 235 miles in 5 hours 44 minutes on mainly empty roads. I took the A-2511 to the fast 232 before turning right onto the A-220 at Carinena. It was here that I got stopped by the Guardia Civil. Flagged down by an enormous, armed uniformed officer so I stopped and was given the salute...which I find such a nice thing for them to do. I felt my right arm twitch as though it was going to salute him right back but I forced it to scratch my nose instead. He walked around my bike while his colleague eyed us from a distance.
    As I had slowed to turn left from the main road I could see for quite a distance up the road and could see no other vehicles approaching. I checked my wing mirrors and gave a "life-saver" glance over my left shoulder...then, without having actually come to a complete stop at the stop line, pulled across the junction and came to a stop very near the Guardia Civil.
    Once he had eyed the bike and myself up he asked me why I hadn't stopped completely at the stop line. I explained that I could see for kilometres along the road and that it was free of traffic and I had checked my mirrors and felt it was safe to cross the line. He then told me it was a 200euro fine, reduced to 100 if paid now. I was off the bike by now and had taken off my helmet. He was looking at a tired old git who hadn't had a shave in over a week. I was fumbling in my pockets now trying to replace my shades with my reading glasses...so as to look like a wise, tired old git.
    I'd been "fined" once before by the Guardia Civil many years earlier up near Barcelona. This time my Spanish was a lot better and I thought I'd be able to talk my way out of it. No need as he was just explaining that stop means stop and he wasn't going to fine me today...but if he saw me doing it again.....
    Once he'd checked my driving licence and was happy with everything he told me to get back on the road and wished me "buen viaje".

Off and running again with my wallet intact I carried on riding north.

Uneventful ride on still quite secondary roads. I ended up on the A-624. It had clouded over now. The forecast was for 90% rain and as I reached Ayala and turned right onto the A-3641 the heavens opened. I had about 30 miles left before reaching the Ibis hotel in Bilbao. It was a slow, twisty road all the way now. I was looking forward to a hot shower and some hot food. I made it to the hotel and managed to get a room for the night. I always turn up unbooked and I always get that "we'll see what we can do" conversation before nearly always getting a room.

Early breakfast next morning then a short ride to the port...where I meet Jonathon, who'd been traveling around Spain alone in his old VW camper

We got chatting about our relevant trips...it was his first trip abroad and he'd been away for one month.

First in line

End of the road in Spain

Adios y gracias espana

It was my birthday on board the ferry so I propped up the bar and sampled some of their keenly priced Guiness...Jonathon joined me and was good company.
    As it was a sunny start to the crossing I spent a few hours on deck "taking the sun".....and luckily saw some dolphins.

It was a great trip...my first "two-parter". Enjoyed it as always.
    I thought after a 24 crossing to Portsmouth I'd have a nice 2 hour ride back home to London. That wasn't to be. When we eventually docked at 9am in Portsmouth it was raining...which got heavier and heavier as I rode home. instead of taking 2 hours it took four...and I was thoroughly drenched and freezing cold...but Hey-Ho...no complaints

Nice brief report. Thanks.

Food for thought there.

Enjoyed the ride report, thanks.

Good stuff.
    I too celebrated my birthday on a ship on the 1st of May. I got quite pissed and did t have the hair of the dog until midday the following day!

Looking forward to my Spanish trip in September. I’m writing this whilst sat in a Hotel near Rome airport having just found out that the charming BA has just cancelled our flights tomorrow morning and delaying us by 24hrs..... bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyNeil View Post
    Good stuff.
    I too celebrated my birthday on a ship on the 1st of May. I got quite pissed and did t have the hair of the dog until midday the following day!

Looking forward to my Spanish trip in September. I’m writing this whilst sat in a Hotel near Rome airport having just found out that the charming BA has just cancelled our flights tomorrow morning and delaying us by 24hrs..... bollocks.
    A belated Happy Birthday. Enjoy your extra day in Rome if you can.

Cheers. I shall do my best however I’m one of those simpletons that just want to get home when I planned not when the airline feels like it so I’m a bit miffed. I will also have to use up an extra days leave too. Hey ho could be worse I suppose.

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great report I enjoyed that
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Fab. Thank you for taking the time to post

Thanks for posting, good little read.

Very enjoyable read makes me want to get up and head myself .
    I have trip coming up soon so happy days..
    Thanks for putting in the time and sharing your story..

"Unshitted"

Literary genius!

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by steve7765 View Post
    "Unshitted"

Literary genius!
    Thanks... it's always a big relief to arrive "unshitted" after a bum-clenchingly scary moment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123