Vario Panniers? Too cumbersome?

Nope, no pillions for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likewise

I am 5ft 8ins and about 11.5 stone and I have no problem controlling my GS 2-up with panniers/topbox and tank bag. The only problem I have with the extra weight is getting the bike off the side stand especially if on a camber.

I'm of similar dimensions and have discovered that if wifey climbs on first on to the front seat like the rider then moves back to her seat. I turn the bars full right lock and climb on then once settled tap her right leg, she shifts across in her seat to the right and leans right and the bike feels like its just me and no luggage aboard. Lift it off the stand, plant both feet, she settles back to the neutral position. Click up the stand and we are ready to go.

Re the weights of a full set of Vario’s verses a full set of OEM alloys.

Surprisingly the Vario’s are actually the lighter luggage by about 2.3 kilos.

I recently weighed the two complete sets to find out, I included every bit of the scaffolding and bolts required for the alloys and I even included the different footrest brackets.

Alloy kit ends up heavier by about 2.3 kilo ( 2 pints of beer.)

Attachments

• 7F583E46-104F-447F-87C1-CFC0423D4129.jpg
    7F583E46-104F-447F-87C1-CFC0423D4129.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 530

I recently weighed the two complete sets to find out, I included every bit of the scaffolding and bolts required for the alloys and I even included the different footrest brackets.

Very good.

try 4.9 pints of beer :beerjug:

try 4.9 pints of beer :beerjug:

I was wondering what beer weighed that much ! Was it “stout” ?

2 litres of beer and a couple of shots would equal 2.3k maybe….

I've tried both and prefer the Varios.

On most day trips (probably 70% of my rides) I just use a small tail pack for carrying on-route essentials (couple of tools, puncture kit and mini compressor, map, bottle of water)
On overnight trips to hotels/b&b's then a small extra bag strapped to the rear seat with toothbrush, etc (absolute minimalist) - assuming no passenger
Longer trips, or with passenger. Varios. As everyone says, versatile and waterproof. I don't use inner bags preferring to carry the panniers into hotel (probably paranoia because I think someone may try and lever them open to see what's inside!)

As much of my riding is sans panniers, I really don't like the ugly scaffolding on the Alu panniers. Much preferring the clean lines without these frames.

Back
Top Bottom