battery problems

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
maybe I'm just stupid or don't wish to accept fact but my GS has been in the garage since August last year and not had a run. Its on the BMW trickle charger and I thought all would be well. Seems the battery did not charge over the past months so I disconnected the charger and plugged back in . within 1/2 hour indicator shows battery full. Bike starts no problem. OK, I think, lets go for a run. Turn the ignition off and 15 mins later kitted up and ready to go I turn the ignition - no battery and engine wont start.
Same routine again and same thing happens. Battery dead now or what? Bike is 2016 model so not really that old
any tips?

Yep, battery is done I’m afraid to say. You may get other comments on here saying otherwise, but from experience and my qualifications, what you describe is officially known as a knackered battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
Once a battery is left absolutely completely flat for a relatively short period it soon gets knackered, and is unlikely to be resurrected.

Batteries hate to be left fully drained for more than a few days.

You could try borrowing a new optimate to see if that will get it sorted but you will need Lady Luck on your side.

thanks all. Next question, do I need to go to the garage to do this or is it a pretty simple job to replace?

thanks for the advice. I now need to buy a nw battery for my 2016 GS 1200. I have found the following on internet.
YUASA YTX 14 - BS
Nitro YTZ 14S

can anyone advise me on which to buy? Both are here in NL so not sure if they are the same as in UK.
Appreciate the advice

thanks for the advice. I now need to buy a nw battery for my 2016 GS 1200. I have found the following on internet.
YUASA YTX 14 - BS
Nitro YTZ 14S

can anyone advise me on which to buy? Both are here in NL so not sure if they are the same as in UK.
Appreciate the advice

Yuasa is the quality Jap OEM would be my choice of the two for what its worth

Back
Top Bottom