Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: robens lakeshore tent

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Tiger View Post
    If it helps we can bring scorecards to Dent and give you marks out of 10
    Should be reaching Olympic qualifying times by then!

Robens lakeshore

The tent arrived today, the package wasn’t too big
    It’s a bit much to put up on your own and it’s a lot
    Bigger than I expected to big for one person I think.
    Looks very well made. So after all that I think I’ll be staying with
    My Coleman phad and returning it

getting away with it so far! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That's the review I wanted. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    The tent arrived today, the package wasn’t too big
    It’s a bit much to put up on your own and it’s a lot
    Bigger than I expected to big for one person I think.
    Looks very well made. So after all that I think I’ll be staying with
    My Coleman phad and returning it
    Where did you buy it from and how much did you pay ?
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

i think it was camping world and paid about £305 inc the gsuker discount

Thursday I went to Willen Lakes in Milton Keynes, PJ Outdoors had a vast range of tents erected. It had been raining previously and the grass was ‘floating’. All the tents were dry.
    They had a Lakeshore and a Green Cone side by side.
    The Lakeshore would suit two really well and it looks like it would erect easier with two people putting it up. I would not want to put it up solo. The porch area had lots of height the sleeping area looked perfectly cosy for two.

The Green Cone, rated 4 person, again would be good for two with plenty of room inside. It would be easy for one person to put up. Peg out pole up, simples. It is a little big for one but this is not a deal breaker. Keepin warm in autumn camping is one of my concerns. This may not be too bad as there is not a massive amount of mesh ventilation (unlike the Lone Tree tents where the whole of the upper half of the inner is mesh). At 5ft6 and a half (the half being important to me, anyway) standing up inside is not easy, but better than nothing. The tent was pitched low i.e. the fly was nearly touching the ground so there was probably a little bit (inch or so) more height available.
    If it looks like I’ll be camping a few times this summer then I will buy one. The Green Cone is not big when packed or too heavy and is easy to erect.

https://www.pjoutdoors.co.uk/robens-...one-2018/p2917
    https://www.pjoutdoors.co.uk/robens-...ore-2018/p2918

Tom

Tried posting video, didn’t work!

Tom

Video put on YouTube.
    Camera was held at eye level to show relative difference in tent heights.

https://youtu.be/mRyERc5dEqk

Tom

Aim to head off for a couple of days next week, so should have some pics of the GC after that.

Oops! Nearly forgot about this and DID forget to take pics of the tent next to a suitably sized person. However, I've now used the tent overnight on two occasions and the verdict ...

1. Its large for solo touring. I was able to put all my stuff inside the tent and still have room for my sleeping mat, bag etc. That said, I'd rather have more room than less and at 5kg it's not over heavy and packs easily into the Lomo bag on the rack on the 100GS and on the back seat on the RT.

It would be perfect for two person touring, I think.

2. Height varies inside but I can stand up and get my keks on at the highest point with only a slight nod of my head forward. That's a lot easier than grovelling around the floor in my previous tent! That alone justifies the purchase for me. Anyone around 5' 6" would find it even easier.

3. It is quick to put up. Peg out the corners of the inner tent first. Stick up the single pole. Then peg out the guys. So far, I have only used the lower guys and this has worked fine. In windy weather, the upper guys would give extra stability.

4. In Mull, the midges were pretty bad in the evening. I retreated into the tent with my chair and a book and was able to look out on the beach through the large fly screen on the outside of the entrance panel.

Overall then, a good quality tent and happy with my purchase.

Thanks.
    That fits well with my conclusion after seeing the GC and Lakeshore at Willen Lake. Your review is the icing on the cake.

Tom

Love the design but the price

Robens Green Cone

I read this thread with interest as I needed a tent for my trip to see Bluebird on Bute this August and had already researched what was available and taken a shine to the GC just on the limited exposure it had on the net, so I was already swayed before Scotboxer and Sanqhar stuck their oars in. I got it on Fleabay for a best offer price of £225 delivered, from Armysales who were fine to deal with.

It's been up in the garden twice for practise and a couple of points are worth mentioning.

The whole thing is well made.

Its easy. Really. I attached the inner whilst it was on the floor, pegged out the inner, put the pole in, used the door straps to hold it up - not vertical - then guyed the fly out all round, job done.

The 1st inner section pole has a red line down the length through the button to alter the height so its easy to find where the tit/hole should coincide. Handy.

A foursome would have to be a very pally foursome to all sleep in it, three would be just about OK two would be great and one (me) would have a lot of room available. No bad thing but a four it is not.

The lack of a porch proper might be an issue for some but with the back to the wind there looks like there's enough space to cook under the fly especially if the rest of the gear is inside (two up). I have a tarp which I will take and might be pitched to help out here. This is where a BikerPlus scores over it.

It needs a groundsheet to protect the inner floor. The specs say the floor is waterproof to 10000mm head but is very fine material so put something under it. A cheap tarp 3 x 2m would do it with the corners folded under.

I haven't got to grips with the upper wall guys yet... I'm missing a trick here to get the adjustment working properly...

The footprint is large because of the way the fly pitches but on the other hand the higher up you go the less of the tent there is for the wind to get hold of.

At 5'11" I'm not going to stand up whilst putting put my kecks on...

In all, its a keeper. I'll let you know how I get on in Scotland later.

For scale, the Ortleib bag is an old one 28 x 10", (70 x 25cm)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Fluffy Bridges; 15-07-18 at 13:55. Reason: Clarity of explanation

Robens Green Cone

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Update:

Erection is fast and easy for one.

Try as I might I couldn't get the back of the outer to set properly. This I put down to the site having a slight slope and the ground rising at the rear. More experience will sort this no doubt. I will make an extension to the strap at the apex of the outer that the inner clips to so that the outer can be pitched higher when the ground is uneven.
    If you pitch just the outer you can go as high as the pole will allow. Strange that.

The pole being on the outside of the inner tent is a distinct advantage room-wise. However, having a pole to hold whilst pulling yr. kecks on first thing is also handy…

Cooking in the "porch" is fine. Masses of room for 1, plenty for 2, cosy for 3.

Sheds water like a duck.

All good in fact.

Fluff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123