Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: robens lakeshore tent

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    ... or you can buy a Tentipi rated for seven and just use it for two, top kit but a fearsome price
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    And I ordered the Green Cone. Will post a review once i have used it a couple of times.
    When you do your test putting it up in the garden please post a photo or two with you in it and beside it. Nothing I have seen gives me a perspective as to what it is like in the real world.
    Thanks
    Tom

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by sanqhar View Post
    When you do your test putting it up in the garden please post a photo or two with you in it and beside it. Nothing I have seen gives me a perspective as to what it is like in the real world.
    Thanks
    Tom

This may help. I got the tent today and pitched it this pm. I need to pitch it a couple more times for practice. I had to insert the inner tent first. This was a faff and took 20 mins or so. I then had to open the guy lines and tension them, after inserting the single pole. Try as I might, I could not get the back.of the tent tensioned correctly and this led to it being concave and the inner tent space reduced. I am sure this is just a newbie glitch though. More practice needed. I.took some pics and will take more when it do a couple more practice pitches.

This may help. I got the tent today and pitched it this pm. I need to pitch it a couple more times for practice. I had to insert the inner tent first. This was a faff and took 20 mins or so. I then had to open the guy lines and tension them, after inserting the single pole. Try as I might, I could not get the back.of the tent tensioned correctly and this led to it being concave and the inner tent space reduced. I am sure this is just a newbie glitch though. More practice needed. I.took some pics and will take more when it do a couple more practice pitches.
    Thanks. I have seen that video. No one standing inside or beside however. I am looking for a tent for solo camping. It looks perfect for two people but would it be too big for one?

Tom

The headroom inside the inner tent is given as 165cm. A tall person would still have to crouch! You can get 195 by pitching the outer only. This could be an option in the summer. I went for this tent as its footprint was smaller in area than the Lake shore / Galaxy type and the height was better than the Omega 250 - which otherwise is the perfect tent. The GC also packs quite small.
    Very small if you leave out the inner tent. Space wise, I'd say it's a 4 person tent where people are quite small! plenty of room for one or two people though.

Everything is a compromise!

Looking fw to Alfie posting info about his Lakeshore.

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Remember that a lot of issues with packing a tent relate to the poles and not the fabric; being a single pole tent reduces this issue considerably.

Top tip: Leaving the inner tent connected when taking the tent down makes putting it up much quicker.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oblertone View Post
    Remember that a lot of issues with packing a tent relate to the poles and not the fabric; being a single pole tent reduces this issue considerably.

Top tip: Leaving the inner tent connected when taking the tent down makes putting it up much quicker.
    It would also help if the makers gave detailed instructions re pitching the specific tent. I tried again today and since the inner tent was already in there, it was a five minute job. A peg on either side of the entrance; pole inserted and erected; the eight lower pegs in and guys tensioned. Job done. The guys higher up the tent would be needed eventually but the tent was fairly stable despite a moderate breeze. There's plenty of room inside for two. Three would be pushing it. Four? Only on short expeditions with very good pals! . In all honesty, the headroom inside for me (at 6 foot) is not enough but anyone shorter would find it sufficient. Even for me, its still better than my old Omega 250 although the Vango was still a great tent.

It would also help if the makers gave detailed instructions re pitching the specific tent. I tried again today and since the inner tent was already in there, it was a five minute job. A peg on either side of the entrance; pole inserted and erected; the eight lower pegs in and guys tensioned. Job done. The guys higher up the tent would be needed eventually but the tent was fairly stable despite a moderate breeze. There's plenty of room inside for two. Three would be pushing it. Four? Only on short expeditions with very good pals! . In all honesty, the headroom inside for me (at 6 foot) is not enough but anyone shorter would find it sufficient. Even for me, its still better than my old Omega 250 although the Vango was still a great tent.
    Where did you buy it from? I see a couple on eBay for £250 or best offer.

Norwich camping. £239 for 2018 model.

Green cone or mega horn 2......?

Photos next please. Not seeing the tent in relation to a person standing next to it or in it is what is holding me back from buying one.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sanqhar View Post
    Photos next please. Not seeing the tent in relation to a person standing next to it or in it is what is holding me back from buying one.
    Tom
    What is sir's height? I will endeavour to get a suitable model to pose next to the tent.

5ft 6 and inside leg 29/30 and well retired.
    Just anyone standing next to it would help.
    I suppose my main concern is whether it is too big for solo camping. Packed weight and length are OK.

The Lakeshore just looks too complicated for one person to put up, especially if it is windy.

Thanks again.

Tom

165cm = 5.4 feet, so should fit sir like a slightly crooked glove. It did occur to me that replacing the toggles on the inner tent with rubber bands (as in the old Andre Jamet tents) would allow the centre pole to be fully extended with the near tent fitted. Having an option for a smaller inner tent would also make a lot of sense! May even contact Robems about that. Will see who I can dig up nearer Sir's height!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12