robens lakeshore tent

so do i a bit expensive but i want to be able to stand up

Likewise. Robens make quality tents and this looks good. It's a 3 man however and a two man would be better for my purposes. Given demographics these days, there must be a market for a relatively compact, quality tent you can stand up in?

I have been thinking about their Green Cone tent.
What bothers me about the Lakeshore with its numerous poles is the ease or not of putting up single handed.
I haven’t found a video of how it is put up (no video either for putting up the Green Cone).

Tom

The Green cone is single pole, to erect you peg down the outer then slide the pole in and lift; couldn't really be any easier.

The green cone looks to be a bit bigger than the lakeshore
Ideally I need to have a look at one I think or stay with
My Coleman phad 3

The Green cone is single pole, to erect you peg down the outer then slide the pole in and lift; couldn't really be any easier.

I suppose my concern is how big the Green Cone is. Weight and packed size are OK for the bike, but is it too big for one. A smaller sleeping area would be warmer at night in early spring/late autumn camping. That’s where the Lakeshore is better.

I can’t find a picture of someone standing beside the Green Cone or in it. At least the Lakeshore video shows someone in and beside the tent.

Similar to the Lakeshore is the Vango Galaxy 200, cheaper as well.

Tom

And I ordered the Green Cone. Will post a review once i have used it a couple of times.

Price comes down to quality of materials, stitching and design.

For example, you can buy a small mountain tent from Terra Nova and you can spend over £600 for a Quasar. However, this tent is designed to be used in mountainous areas and can withstand high winds and heavy snowfall.

At the other end of the market are family tents, which are made mainly for summer use and ease of getting in and out. Terra Nova own Wild Country, which produce their more affordable tents which are not made from the same materials but are for a different use or budget.

I would suspect that Outwell are the same. :thumb2

I would be interested in reports on both of these tents. I really like the look of the Lakeshore tent. I wish I'd seen it before buying my Vango Omega 350. Itself a good tent, but the Lakeshore lets you stand up inside but you still have a small area inside to heat in cold weather.

It’s very rare to get what I’d describe as a top end tent that will stand up to severe weather conditions and be able to stand up in it because for one thing the extra height will catch the wind much more than something like a Quasar and for another, nobody wants to carry the extra weight onto a mountain where you’ll get extreme conditions.

The nearest thing has got to be a Vango Force 10 which is essentially a base camp tent so still a heavy and bulky lump of real estate to be carrying around and if you buy the 3 man version made from cotton so two people can camp in a fair degree of comfort it’s not a cheap option. I rarely use my Force 10 these days but I’ve got a Quasar with an extended porch for winter camping, a one man Goretex single skinned tomb for ultra lightweight stuff year round and a cheap Vango for summer use but I can’t stand up in any of them so I need to either get dressed lying down, use a tarp to give me an extra shelter or just accept that I’m going to get my bike kit on outside.

We do have a taller ‘family’ sized tent that my wife insists we need but it’s too big to go on a bike and she won’t go on the outfit where it would fit so it never gets used for bike trips :blast

... or you can buy a Tentipi rated for seven and just use it for two, top kit but a fearsome price :D

And I ordered the Green Cone. Will post a review once i have used it a couple of times.

When you do your test putting it up in the garden please post a photo or two with you in it and beside it. Nothing I have seen gives me a perspective as to what it is like in the real world.
Thanks
Tom

When you do your test putting it up in the garden please post a photo or two with you in it and beside it. Nothing I have seen gives me a perspective as to what it is like in the real world.
Thanks
Tom

This may help. I got the tent today and pitched it this pm. I need to pitch it a couple more times for practice. I had to insert the inner tent first. This was a faff and took 20 mins or so. I then had to open the guy lines and tension them, after inserting the single pole. Try as I might, I could not get the back.of the tent tensioned correctly and this led to it being concave and the inner tent space reduced. I am sure this is just a newbie glitch though. More practice needed. I.took some pics and will take more when it do a couple more practice pitches.

This may help. I got the tent today and pitched it this pm. I need to pitch it a couple more times for practice. I had to insert the inner tent first. This was a faff and took 20 mins or so. I then had to open the guy lines and tension them, after inserting the single pole. Try as I might, I could not get the back.of the tent tensioned correctly and this led to it being concave and the inner tent space reduced. I am sure this is just a newbie glitch though. More practice needed. I.took some pics and will take more when it do a couple more practice pitches.

Thanks. I have seen that video. No one standing inside or beside however. I am looking for a tent for solo camping. It looks perfect for two people but would it be too big for one?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom