Oil smoke on start. Should I be worried.

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
I rode the 40 mins home from work tonight and had to park the bike on the road. When I came back about 30 minutes later to move it into the garage I got a big cloud of blue oily smoke on starting.
Should I be worried. Is this an indication of anything starting to let go?
For context is a 2003 GSA with 49K on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

One other thing. It was left on the side stand, though that's not that unusual.

I’m no expert but having had my 1150 for fifteen years I’ve seen this on a couple of occasions.
I believe it’s down to the fact it’s left on the side stand. I’ve kept my eye on the oil level and all’s been fine. Hope this helps. :beerjug:

Phew. I've not noticed it before. I guess as I was just moving it without my lid on I could see it.

Mines the same if I park it on the stand when it’s hot. Big puff. Mines done for ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess they don't call them oilheads for nothing.

Are you an Oil topper upper?

If so? You could probably find you have overfilled it over time

I have had a few guys complain about oil usage and another friend said how he was an avid topper upper and how he decided to do an experiment in Monitoring carefully but Not topping up to the line every time

What he found that the engine reached a happy point at about 1/3 to halfway up the oil window where the oil usage stopped /slowed remarkably and his oil usage between services went to zero This was on an Airhead which he did 60K miles on and his oilhead he did 75 K miles on and I have been doing this on my bikes for about 8 years now Whilst it was un-nerving on the 1200GS it too settles at 1/3 of the sightglass

Also at the rear left under the airbox is an oil drain for accumulated oil vapour that has reformed into oil :thumb

What he found that the engine reached a happy point at about 1/3 to halfway up the oil window where the oil usage stopped /slowed remarkably and his oil usage between services went to zero

I only discovered this recently when I read it online. Mine was like a two-strike, I was putting so much oil into it. I stopped topping it up and it has settled at the halfway mark.

Back
Top Bottom