How do you remove the top box from a R1100GS?

52blackshadow

Reaction score
BMW top box has been on my 1100GS since I bought it. Yesterday, the lid snapped off (top of the hinges part of the lid moulding broke). I have tried to release it from the bike, but it appears to be locked. I have opened the lid lock (push handle to position 1, then push in the button to the right of the handle and move the handle to the highest position). Below the handle (hidden by it when the handle is closed) is a "bar" across the box (about 4 inches long), which I was able to turn a few degrees anticlockwise, but it then appears to be locked. What have I not done?

Any help will be much appreciated, I tried pulling the "flap" at the bottom of the box whilst trying to turn the bar, but all seems solid.

Cheers,
Keith.

You're doing it right. Turn the handle anti-clockwise - roughly 30 deg i'd say, then pull the bottom handle backwards. It'll be pretty stiff. The back of the box will then lift up and you slide the whole thing forward to unhook it from the hoop on the rack.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Dick. I didn't want to force it in case there was a step I'd missed. Will try again tomorrow with a bit more force!

All the best,
Keith.

Make sure no-one has put a bolt through the whole thing :augie

Back
Top Bottom