Nav 5 skipping waypoints

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
I hardly ever use my sat nav for more than an accurate speedometer, but I am sitting at my desk trying to work out how to add a ‘skip waypoint’ button to the map screen so that it’s easy to skip a waypoint when faced with a road closure or similar that makes it impractical to visit that waypoint.

How is this done?

From this thread:-

I found the following, mentions skip button:-
Via Point.
Is used by the Zumo to indicate a point on the route which it will insist that you visit. Unlike the 660, if you missed a point on the route (maybe positioned incorrectly up a side road), but continued towards the purple highlighted route, the 660 would continue navigating once you had reached the purple line. The 590 doesn't. It nags you until you have been there - or you can press the skip button. The skip button isn't installed by default, and it is available from the menu button in the bottom right corner. 'Skip' was a added as a later fix to the Zumo software.
Via points will show up in the data display eg as in 'Time to Via', 'Distance to Via'.
The satnav will announce - visually and audibly - your approach to and your arrival at a Via Point.
The 590 gives a list of all of the Via points on your route when you select a route to follow. But it shows ONLY the Via points. It doesn't show any other points.
Via points on the 590 show up as flags in the route and on the map.

From this thread:-

I found the following, mentions skip button:-
Via Point.
Is used by the Zumo to indicate a point on the route which it will insist that you visit. Unlike the 660, if you missed a point on the route (maybe positioned incorrectly up a side road), but continued towards the purple highlighted route, the 660 would continue navigating once you had reached the purple line. The 590 doesn't. It nags you until you have been there - or you can press the skip button. The skip button isn't installed by default, and it is available from the menu button in the bottom right corner. 'Skip' was a added as a later fix to the Zumo software.
Via points will show up in the data display eg as in 'Time to Via', 'Distance to Via'.
The satnav will announce - visually and audibly - your approach to and your arrival at a Via Point.
The 590 gives a list of all of the Via points on your route when you select a route to follow. But it shows ONLY the Via points. It doesn't show any other points.
Via points on the 590 show up as flags in the route and on the map.

I have the nav 5 off the bike sitting on my settee - if I choose map display and then click on the menu button and scroll down I find the skip button but it’s greyed out so I can’t add it to anything - the firmware is up to date.

Skip button

GO TO Settings, Map and vehicle, scroll down to Map buttons.

You have a choice of two. Skip next point and Stop navigation.
My Skip is greyed out too...... BUT if I open a trip which has skippsble points on it, it will be available on the View Map screen that's the one you use for normal navigation.
HOPE that helps.
.?...

Odd I just started a random route with a couple of waypoints on it. The skip button is greyed out but it works and gives the correct distance to the next waypoint after the skipped one.

Dave

This is for a 590 but i think its the same on the Nav V

Skipping a point in your route
If you pass a waypoint and the device did not announce it (no route directions given until you either go back to it or skip it), you can skip it by (in the map view) tap 3 bars in the lower RH corner then select the skip option, it will then direct you to the next waypoint/shaping point. This prevents the device attempting to route you back to the missed point.

Ah just re read the first post try this i think it shows how to change the map tools buttons/options again this is for a 590 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6k-03weYI

GO TO Settings, Map and vehicle, scroll down to Map buttons.

You have a choice of two. Skip next point and Stop navigation.
My Skip is greyed out too...... BUT if I open a trip which has skippsble points on it, it will be available on the View Map screen that's the one you use for normal navigation.
HOPE that helps.
.?...

Odd I just started a random route with a couple of waypoints on it. The skip button is greyed out but it works and gives the correct distance to the next waypoint after the skipped one.

Dave

I think I’ve got it - it’s only available once you are actively navigating? That’s a bit of a pain as it means you have to remember to add it each time you start navigating - I was hoping that it could be made a general button.

I think I’ve got it - it’s only available once you are actively navigating? That’s a bit of a pain as it means you have to remember to add it each time you start navigating - I was hoping that it could be made a general button.

You can add it as an icon that is present all the time on the map screen; go to Settings, Map and Vehicle, (scroll down) Map Buttons. You can have just two icons - I have 'skip waypoint' and 'stop navigating'

You can add it as an icon that is present all the time on the map screen; go to Settings, Map and Vehicle, (scroll down) Map Buttons. You can have just two icons - I have 'skip waypoint' and 'stop navigating'

Nice tip, thanks

Ok thanks useful tip -was confused at first because the buttons only appear when actively navigating, they aren’t there on the map when not navigating, but I guess they don’t need to be.

Back
Top Bottom