SENA 10U in a Neotec

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's rubbish.

On radio and nav you get a tinny sound from the speakers, like the cheapest of cheapie battery powered radios we had when we were kids.

There's no bass reeponse.

It's inaudible at anything above town speeds because when you turn it up you just get a louder tinny sound.

Reception from the FM radio is poor and I'm in a large city, so plenty of signal.

I've activated the audio boost from the app, but it's no better.

Disappointed :mad:

Any other opinions/fixes please?

Not sure about Sena, but for my Scala I fitted Torx xpro speakers, they just plug into a 3mm socket, which is how the standard speakers are connected to the Scala. Vastly improved quality and louder.

It seems the 10U speakers are hard wired. Interestingly I'm reading that the speakers are the same as their more premium 20S and are supposed to be excellent - hmmmm, not in my neotec they're not :(.

It's rubbish.

On radio and nav you get a tinny sound from the speakers, like the cheapest of cheapie battery powered radios we had when we were kids.

It's inaudible at anything above town speeds because when you turn it up you just get a louder tinny sound.

Reception from the FM radio is poor and I'm in a large city, so plenty of signal.

Something wrong with your Sena unit then. Check the connections. 10u in a neotec working perfect for the last 2 odd years. No issues in audio quality even with earplugs on motorways.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's rubbish.

What you need to do is take that sub par system from that lovely, high end piece of PPE and bang it up in the for sale section at a massive loss to yourself.........and I will relieve you of it!!!

Sent from a U11

Something wrong with your Sena unit then. Check the connections. 10u in a neotec working perfect for the last 2 odd years. No issues in audio quality even with earplugs on motorways.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Since trawling Google I've read that the speakers are better with acoustic earplugs - I've not used them with earplugs yet, so will try next outing.

There are other posts around saying similar to me - I do hope I can get find a solution as I like the integrated aspect of the kit.

I think its not much good either. Different problems though - the mic is waaaay to sensitive when used as an open intercom. Constant wind & traffic noise with turbulence from passing vehicles or wind gusts being particularly annoying to my pillion and in the side-tone. The best Sena support could offer was to buy a third party mic cover. I agree the integrated bit is good although TBH the SMH5 I had before was generally a better system and lots lots cheaper. I wish I had bought another rather than the 10U.

Since trawling Google I've read that the speakers are better with acoustic earplugs - I've not used them with earplugs yet, so will try next outing.

There are other posts around saying similar to me - I do hope I can get find a solution as I like the integrated aspect of the kit.

Be patient and see what works best for you. Initially get three different different brands of foam ear plugs and see which one works best for you. It is all to do with the science of filtering out the unwanted noise (traffic, wind) and keeping the audio.

Don't buy fancy ear plugs. Foam works good. Howard Leight and 3M foam work best. Do not try the plastic or other ear plugs first.

Do update all on what you've found.

Be patient and see what works best for you. Initially get three different different brands of foam ear plugs and see which one works best for you. It is all to do with the science of filtering out the unwanted noise (traffic, wind) and keeping the audio.

Don't buy fancy ear plugs. Foam works good. Howard Leight and 3M foam work best. Do not try the plastic or other ear plugs first.

Do update all on what you've found.

I've got some acoustic ones from the gigs we go to - I'm hoping them improve things and will report back accordingly, ta.

Update time.

With the acoustic earplugs things in are a whole lot better - other than the FM reception of course.

Wih the wind noise almost removed the SENA has half a chance, and though not brilliant I have to keep telling myself it's a headset in a helmet, not a Linn hifi, so I'm happier now.

My first phone call came in as I was doing c60mph and the caller could hear me clearly and I could hear him clearly :thumb.

I'll probably get even more used to it over time (hopefully).

For fear of stating the obvious......
Make sure the speakers are right alongside your ears. Just because you put them in the appropriate recess in your helmet does not mean they will sound good. Move them around and use Velcro pads provided(?) to put them almost touching you ears. I’m mutton Jeff but with proper fitting speakers are fine with foam ear plugs.

For fear of stating the obvious......
Make sure the speakers are right alongside your ears. Just because you put them in the appropriate recess in your helmet does not mean they will sound good. Move them around and use Velcro pads provided(?) to put them almost touching you ears. I’m mutton Jeff but with proper fitting speakers are fine with foam ear plugs.

Thanks, I'll have a play. There's no doubt that small ear piece headphones we use with mobile phones sound significantly better when you push them info your ears, so your logic is sound :thumb

I got the following txts from a pal who got the Neotec/Sena in February, which might help?

Not too I’m pressed with interface between SENA and the GPS. If I also have the phone to the SENA the performance is excellent but then bring in the Zumo and the volume is too high, turning it down is the Sena works but then can hear Spotify via the phone, this shit never is as they advertise
Spoke to Sena via phone got transferred to Tony in the US of A. He said they were a bit upset as the new headset was not supposed to be shipped to customers until March so firmware update etc etc not ready. He also said USA 🇺🇸 customers are not happy that its out here first. Offered to be a Beta tester so he was going to try and get me signed up.”

. :augie

Thanks, I'll have a play. There's no doubt that small ear piece headphones we use with mobile phones sound significantly better when you push them info your ears, so your logic is sound :thumb

Yup my Sena sounds like a tinny thing playing tinny sounds. Have you fitted the foam bits around the speakers , only a small move but improved mine significantly

I got the following txts from a pal who got the Neotec/Sena in February, which might help?

Not too I’m pressed with interface between SENA and the GPS. If I also have the phone to the SENA the performance is excellent but then bring in the Zumo and the volume is too high, turning it down is the Sena works but then can hear Spotify via the phone, this shit never is as they advertise
Spoke to Sena via phone got transferred to Tony in the US of A. He said they were a bit upset as the new headset was not supposed to be shipped to customers until March so firmware update etc etc not ready. He also said USA ���� customers are not happy that its out here first. Offered to be a Beta tester so he was going to try and get me signed up.”

. :augie

Thanks - I'll keep an eye on SENA's website for update info.

Yup my Sena sounds like a tinny thing playing tinny sounds. Have you fitted the foam bits around the speakers , only a small move but improved mine significantly

No, do you clip both frames under the helmet press studs? I did wonder if they were an update mod as there's no reference to them in the instructions/parts list.

No, do you clip both frames under the helmet press studs? I did wonder if they were an update mod as there's no reference to them in the instructions/parts list.

Not sure what you mean by frames but my speakers are held in place with velcro supplied, covered in the foam supplied. Wires are routed through pads pulled out and popped back in after fitting

Back
Top Bottom