this?
I know I’m not the only one with
this problem.
But drilling holes in the base to let
the water drain out REALLY!
What do you think people get my money
back and buy some water tight
Metal mules?

Take them back for exchange. Mine do not leak, in fact, if opened at high elevation, when at lower level they are hard to open due the pressure differential. You paid enough for them, so a good dealer would change them with out question.
Alan R

Take them back for exchange. Mine do not leak, in fact, if opened at high elevation, when at lower level they are hard to open due the pressure differential. You paid enough for them, so a good dealer would change them with out question.
Alan R
Ditto

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mine don’t leak. Tested them with a power washer up to a sensible distance and both (inc top box) were bone dry inside.

Have had 2 sets of BMW branded (Touratech) aluminium panniers, one set on the r1200gsa tc and on the other set on two r1200gsa lc's and neither have leaked even in biblical rain , take them back

Alan R

That’s why the black plastic bit is on the back, to open and equalise the pressure.

I don't know if mine leak or not, they were on the new bike when I collected it from the dealer last September, rode home - 4 miles, took them off, never even bothered opening them. Now I'm heading north on Thursday morning, doing the NC500, so I put the panniers on this evening, unlocked the rear lock of the one on the exhaust side, unlocked the front lock and the barrel fell out on to the garage floor, picked it up and the pins fell out, 5 in total. Got to say I'm a wee bit disappointed with this.

Weatherproof, waterproof
Two different descriptions from
Bmw.
My brand new ones still leaked.
Regretting buying now.
Are people just putting up with
this?
I know I’m not the only one with
this problem.
But drilling holes in the base to let
the water drain out REALLY!
What do you think people get my money
back and buy some water tight
Metal mules?

Hi Loftylad. I had the same problem with one of my panniers upon collection of my bike. The rubber seal which is normally located inside the black plastic surround on the lid of the pannier was missing. My local dealer fitted a new seal and Ive had no issues with either of my panniers or back box in regards water ingress since. And I've pressure washed them as well also. Hope you get your issue resolved tomorrow as this should definitely not happen. :thumby:

They should not leak but mine always have in heavy rain. Bought used so tough titty to me.
They are fragile so any reasonably firm bump will distort the box then the lid won’t fit perfectly. Typically fussy design by Touratech.

They should not leak but mine always have in heavy rain. Bought used so tough titty to me.
They are fragile so any reasonably firm bump will distort the box then the lid won’t fit perfectly. Typically fussy design by Touratech.

Mine leak, I have the 'waterproof' BMW inner bags so not really arsed, but......... :rob if you over stuff the boxes with gear (or Tesco shopping) the flimsy sides WILL distort and leak like a bastard :thumb

I’ve seen similar threads to this before and it surprises me to see the issues some are having.

I’ve used the Alloy Panniers with fabric liners for a lot of miles in some big rain and never once had an issue.

I can see if they were out of shape the seal might not work but I find them spot on.

I wonder if the later ones had corners cut in manufacture??

Luther.

Resurrecting this thread because I've just done a tour of Ireland with my new R1200GSA and found that the offside BMW pannier leaks badly in any kind of rain. Yesterday I spoke to my dealer who told me that BMW do not claim that their panniers are waterproof and therefore they could not replace the leaking pannier. When I asked them what I was supposed to do, I was advised to buy the waterproof BMW inner bag. IMHO thats a disgrace. The Holan panniers which I bought for my previous GSA at a fraction of the cost of the BMW panniers on my new bike never leaked a drop of water and neither have any panniers on previous bikes I've owned, BMW and otherwise. For the best part of a grand I would really expect better

FWIW the problem seems to be that water is entering the pannier through the forward section of the gap between the lid and the body and the reason for that seems to be that the latch on the forward side is not pulling the lid down hard enough such that the seals are tight. I can't see any way of adjusting the latch such that it pulls the lid down harder. Anyone got any ideas? The dealer suggested squirting some silicone sealant on top of the existing seal. I told him that if that was their idea of customer service, I'll take my business elsewhere next time

I’m in the market for panniers and I like the look of the OEM, but all this leaky business is a bit worrying :eek:

FWIW the problem seems to be that water is entering the pannier through the forward section of the gap between the lid and the body and the reason for that seems to be that the latch on the forward side is not pulling the lid down hard enough such that the seals are tight.

Maybe try another dealer and don’t mention a leak just say that the forward latch is not closing firmly.

I have had three sets of the aluminium panniers and top box and never had a leak. I can power wash the current ones and not get water inside. That being said I have had lock barrels come out with the key - but that was I think an issue from when they were rekeyed.
By any chance is the steel cable of the lid snagging anywhere when closing - I put little nicks in the seal of the box by closing on the cable by accident.

Check the seal by eye, rectifying any faults. All good? OK go to stage two:

Put the bike onto its side stand.

Drill a SMALL hole in the floor of the pannier at its lowest point. A hand drill will do. Nobody will see it. Any water will drain out. Takes two minutes to do and will last a lifetime.

If you have the later edition panniers / top box, with the small valve in the wall, consider yourself blessed. The earlier panniers did not have the valve, often becoming sealed shut due to the pressure change, often encountered whilst hooning in the Alps. The owner drilled hole was the only (reliable) method of addressing the problem, other than kicking the recalcitrant box open.

You will have a problem with the seal if you either have to force the lid closed because of too much stuff or you have by accident previously clamped the buckle between the lid and pannier causing the lip to be deformed. If you claim that because of the speed you are doing the pannier leaks, it is bullshit I can tell you, it is a GS not the Thrust SSC.

On my GSA, one out of three leaks every now and then. The water seems to be intruding from one of the rivets.

I use the waterproof innerbags, so it does not bother me. I considered to try locating the leaking rivet, but did not find it worth while. As long as there are rivets, there will always be a potential leak. And driving on bumpy roads will put a strain on the cases, thus, even if I could locate the leaky rivet, over time some other rivet might devolop a leak, and it would be a never ending story. (I will not stop riding on bumpy roads).

When I first discovered a leaky case, I thought : "How on Earth can a company originating from a nation that build the finest subs in the world not be able to build waterproof cases"

But then it occured to me: The subs where not watertight either. They could not be, they are all at the bottom of the ocean.:D

I’m in the market for panniers and I like the look of the OEM, but all this leaky business is a bit worrying :eek:

Get a set of Bumots ! Much better quality and cheaper than that re-branded BMW shite.
Then, when you get bored of the crap quality and reliability of your Toilet bike and change to a more reliable and fun marque, you only have to buy new frames to take the panniers with you......

Unlike the old hexhead cases which had the locks/latches securely riveted in place, the LC versions make do with a few self tapping screws screwed into the plastic surround of the latches. Probably not the best idea for security but might be an advantage if you want to re-position the latches slightly to give a better clamping force. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom