Possible Relocate to Aberdeen

Frautzi

Reaction score
My other half has been given a good career opportunity which we would have to relocate to the Aberdeen area. We've two kids 11 & 8. Just wondering which areas to avoid any positive and negative sides of relocating to the area.

Thanks

Jay

You mean ...

Fit like? Faur tae bide in Aiberdeen?

And the answer is ... Don't worry. You'll end up in Bridge of Don. :D. More seriously, lots to choose from in and around the city but be prepared for a shock cf prices in nw England!

Plus the finest biking roads in Europe on your doorstep.

Avoid Torry, Mastrick and Northfield, and Tillydrone, that’s about it.....

And as above, I lived in Bridge of Don......

Cults / Culter is nice (but expensive)

:beerjug:

Thanks chaps, I'll have more questions as the deal becomes a reality. Is it ok to PM you with other questions if I have any?

Ta

Jay

Avoid Torry, Mastrick and Northfield, and Tillydrone, that’s about it.....

And as above, I lived in Bridge of Don......

Cults / Culter is nice (but expensive)

Main issue is where she/you will be working (though the new bypass will help when it is open). Avoid the areas noted above and then decide if you want to live north, south or west of the city and if you want rural or city.

North is Bridge of Don, a modern suburb with good beach access then lots of villages. South you get a few enlarged villages then the town of Stonehaven, really nice wee place. West you get the expensive suburbs close to town then as you go further out of town you get Banchory etc but the commute is getting longer (by Scottish standards). And in the west, you have best access to the hills. The other way out to the west goes through Westhill, another commuter town. All around the city are nice wee villages.

So, working where, maximum commute you will accept and rural or city?

Main issue is where she/you will be working (though the new bypass will help when it is open). Avoid the areas noted above and then decide if you want to live north, south or west of the city and if you want rural or city.

North is Bridge of Don, a modern suburb with good beach access then lots of villages. South you get a few enlarged villages then the town of Stonehaven, really nice wee place. West you get the expensive suburbs close to town then as you go further out of town you get Banchory etc but the commute is getting longer (by Scottish standards). And in the west, you have best access to the hills. The other way out to the west goes through Westhill, another commuter town. All around the city are nice wee villages.

So, working where, maximum commute you will accept and rural or city?

Thanks for the reply,

Wife will be working in AB15 area, She currently has a minimum of an hour commute during rush hour so anything less will be desirable.

Personally I doubt I'll be working until the kids are settled, then because she will have to travel I'll look for a part time flexible job if ones available.

Personally id like rural but it will depend on secondary and primary schools for the kids.

Wife will be working in AB15 area, She currently has a minimum of an hour commute during rush hour so anything less will be desirable.

Roads in that area are messed up due to the AWPR, it should be open by the Autumn. Might want to have a look at Inverurie and its surrounding villages, if your wife's not working in the southern part of AB15.

Most properties to buy / rent are on the ASPC site: https://www.aspc.co.uk/ there's some on Rightmove as well but they're mainly brand new homes.

Traffic up here has reduced over the last couple of years, along with house prices, due to the oil price crash.

Probably wise to avoid living somewhere that the only alternative is to use the Haudagain Roundabout, until it's "improved": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haudagain_roundabout

AB15 covers a sizeable area but like mentioned above a lot of the City will be within a short drive of that post the opening of the new AWPR in 'the autumn' [that is a local scepticism about when they will finish!] The City is pretty small if you are used to living in built up areas (circa 200k) and while traffic has been bad it's not M5 bad!! and it is set to improve markedly. But despite not being huge it has all the amenities associated with a larger city partly due to the oil industry.

House prices are high, though not as high as a few years ago and might dictate where you choose to buy - but avoiding the areas mentioned above (and I'd add Seaton to the list) should leave you with a pretty decent selection of nice areas to live and decent schools for the kids.

Partly due to it's size and the accessibility to the outdoors (if that's your thing) and the aforementioned spectacular roads it is a lovely part of the world to live. We moved here 10 years ago and have loved it, as has our daughter.

Good luck with everything.

Hi We lived in Westhill from 2000 to 2008 and loved it there, unfortunately we came back to Edinburgh also due to job relocation.

We found the surrounding area to the west etc very good. Aberdeen city has changed a fair bit since we were there but would love to retire up there perhaps, wishful thinking.

Some excellent advice here chaps, really appreciate it. If it all goes through then it will be a massive change for me as ive been with the same company for 20 year's , but hay sometimes you just have to take a risk. I love the outdoors and so does the family, camping, walking and me and my lad love mountain biking so it has lots of positives.

I moved up here 25+ years ago and I’ve lived in quite a few different areas (I was flipping houses for a while and was moving every few years).
There’s lots of great areas and a few dodgy ones. Depends entirely on your budget and what you want. Whether you value quiet country living and are willing to put up with slightly longer commute, or whether you want to be in the town centre.
If you want rural then can I recommend Banchory. Probably (in my opinion) one of the nicest areas around Aberdeen.
Stonehaven is also nice if you want to be on the Sea.
Commute into AB15 from either would be between 30 minutes and an hour depending on whether you hit rush hour.
Aberdeen has a few bottlenecks at the river bridges. But if you pick your travel time right, it’s a doddle.
As has been previously mentioned, when they finish the bypass, everything will change as far as commuting goes.
ASPC is the place to look for properties.
You may be aware that we have a slightly different house buying system up here. Houses are usually advertised for “offers over” and it’s done by sealed bids.
At the moment however, don’t let that put you off. Prices are depressed at the moment but are recovering slowly. Now is a very good time to buy. Expect to pay around the “offers over” price, not more.
Feel free to pm me, if you like. If you see a house you like, I can easily give you a steer on the area.

Oh...by the way. This is the commute from Aberdeen to Banchory.....gruelling isn’t it? (Not my video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRurnjc-XE

I am in Montrose and typically 45-55 min commute.
Once you get settled happy to pop up and get the odd run in as some really good bike roads up this part of the country not to mention mountains on your doorstep.

I moved up here 25+ years ago and I’ve lived in quite a few different areas (I was flipping houses for a while and was moving every few years).
There’s lots of great areas and a few dodgy ones. Depends entirely on your budget and what you want. Whether you value quiet country living and are willing to put up with slightly longer commute, or whether you want to be in the town centre.
If you want rural then can I recommend Banchory. Probably (in my opinion) one of the nicest areas around Aberdeen.
Stonehaven is also nice if you want to be on the Sea.
Commute into AB15 from either would be between 30 minutes and an hour depending on whether you hit rush hour.
Aberdeen has a few bottlenecks at the river bridges. But if you pick your travel time right, it’s a doddle.
As has been previously mentioned, when they finish the bypass, everything will change as far as commuting goes.
ASPC is the place to look for properties.
You may be aware that we have a slightly different house buying system up here. Houses are usually advertised for “offers over” and it’s done by sealed bids.
At the moment however, don’t let that put you off. Prices are depressed at the moment but are recovering slowly. Now is a very good time to buy. Expect to pay around the “offers over” price, not more.
Feel free to pm me, if you like. If you see a house you like, I can easily give you a steer on the area.

Oh...by the way. This is the commute from Aberdeen to Banchory.....gruelling isn’t it? (Not my video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRurnjc-XE

I am in Montrose and typically 45-55 min commute.
Once you get settled happy to pop up and get the odd run in as some really good bike roads up this part of the country not to mention mountains on your doorstep.

Gents this is great cant thank you all enough for all the information and advise.

Aberdeen Angus thanks for that I will pm, I think her company are setting up a long weekend visit if the wife agrees the relocation package so it will be nice to get an idea of locations to go and visit.

Kaybe, that's great I'm currently without a bike but that will soon change once we're settled, cant have all that on the door step and not go exploring :D

Grampian motorcycle club go out on a wednesday night from April to September with Sunday runs and weekends away too.
You can find us through google or pm me for more info :thumb

Another useful site is Zoopla: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/market/ab15/?q=AB15

If you know that you like the look of a house in say Kingswells, then put in the post code to get an idea of what's happened with the price etc. Really useful to see what it last sold for, but, when I look at my house, it doesn't have my purchase on it!

What can make a big difference is ease of transport and shops in the cost of houses, eg Inverurie has bus / train to Aberdeen and it's dual carriageway just about all the way. Oldmeldrum has the A947, no train, and less of a bus service and 7 years ago, the same house there cost over £10k less than in Inverurie. Inverurie has a Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi and M & S foodhall, Oldmeldrum only has a Co-op of comparable size, it does have the Gairoch distillery though https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/glen-garioch-distillery-p421311

Jay

The company appears to be on the south side of Aberdeen, so Stonehaven might be a good shout, also Westhill looks as if it will have the new Aberdeen football stadium, which means there may be cheaper houses soon but......

:D

Jay

The company appears to be on the south side of Aberdeen, so Stonehaven might be a good shout, also Westhill looks as if it will have the new Aberdeen football stadium, which means there may be cheaper houses soon but......

:D

AB15 is wrong...sorry folks its AB12 . More south (Badentoy)

Back
Top Bottom