1150 GS ....its just the way they are built ??

GSdude

Reaction score
Forgive my lack of BMWesqueness but Ive got a question for all you experienced dudes. Ive just taken posession of a 2 1/2 year old 1150 GS from a major dealer. Ive just found (after a few weeks of ownership) that the finish on the exterior of the cylinder casing (on both sides of the engine) is flaking away and very soon it'll be very ugly. Now I know this will spark anger in some of you that the asthetic thing shouldnt really matter - but this was (to me) an expensive purcahase and a lifetime ambition to become one of the clan.Is this a general thing or have I just bought 'one of those' bikes.I'd welcome your views and opinions. Thanks !!!!

Corrosion rife on all models from the 1100 onward. Very common & always it seems, unexpected. Don`t worry, just ride it ;) Search the forum for various words relating to corrosion, there are tons of threads!

Cheers dude......as you can probably gues I posted this question on the wrong page !! Do you think its worth getting them changed under warranty (if I can ?)

corrosion

Looking at your location I would guess the major dealer was just of junction 33 of the M1.

Speak to them about your new purchase - you should get a favourable response - then you'll discover why owners come from Northern Scotland and Southern England to use this dealer on a regular basis.

If, on the other hand, it isn't from Rainbow then good luck!!!

Sherpa ;)

Indeed you are correct......I did get the machine from Rainbow......they are - in my opinion THE friendliest bike dealers I have dealt with and Im 110 % happy with them. They have offered to replace the poorly items for a very tiny fee !! My querie was in no way aimed at them, its simply a question I wanted to put to the experienced guys and gals out there regarding the overal finish of the part in question. Thanks for your reply and interest.Its much appreciated. :beerjug:

Warranty issue...

..the fork brace on the 1150 anyway.

BVM moto in Stroud offered to do mine the last time the had it in - but I bought the bike to ride and not leave at the dealership for extended periods.

To be honest after coming to BM's from Triumphs I too was a tad disappointed with the longevity of the finish on the machines.

But with time the fact that the bike will keep plugging away (20,000 miles last year) and that I want to ride it in all weathers more than makes up for it. Not sure the Triumph would have taken that abuse without some scars.

Enjoy the usability of the machine...it's a workhorse..not a showroom centre piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Warranty issue...

Marty said:
..the fork brace on the 1150 anyway.

BVM moto in Stroud offered to do mine the last time the had it in - but I bought the bike to ride and not leave at the dealership for extended periods.

To be honest after coming to BM's from Triumphs I too was a tad disappointed with the longevity of the finish on the machines.

But with time the fact that the bike will keep plugging away (20,000 miles last year) and that I want to ride it in all weathers more than makes up for it. Not sure the Triumph would have taken that abuse without some scars.

Enjoy the usability of the machine...it's a workhorse..not a showroom centre piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats my exact philosphy -

don't worry about a bit of paint, if the dealer replaces it, it'll only be in the same condition a few months down the line

Re: Warranty issue...

Marty said:
[BBVM moto in Stroud offered to do mine the last time the had it in - but I bought the bike to ride and not leave at the dealership for extended periods.

B]

SPC did mine and replaced two fork legs in an afternoon, during which I had extensive use of their R1200ST (which was almost silky smooth but too cramped).

Back
Top Bottom