EXC adventure bike

I like that and I could see me spending a stupid amount of money on one of those if a hole that used to house a Yamaha Tenere based outfit appeared in my garage.

My bucket list, retirement present to myself, is doing the trans America trail. Looks like the perfect bike to me but also saw the 'prototype' Tenere 700 at the bike show and loved that as well. The bikes not the major concern though it's the fact I am shit off road !!!

Thinking about it I'm not that good on road :D

My bucket list, retirement present to myself, is doing the trans America trail. Looks like the perfect bike to me but also saw the 'prototype' Tenere 700 at the bike show and loved that as well. The bikes not the major concern though it's the fact I am shit off road !!!

I want to do the TAT when I can but was thinking more 790 Adv...

Did a days green landing last week with Mark and despite it pissing it down all day had a great time. One thing I did learn is I'm not taking a Husky 250 to the TAT as felt like I'd been butt raped the next day. Damn those seats are like razor blades and 4,000 mls off road on one of those would lead to some serious ass problems

The 500 is an easy bike to ride off-road, lots of torque.

Oil change every 6 hours from memory ��

It’s 20hrs but did you read the blurb on the web site?

I change the oil on my 500 at 20 hrs and it comes out golden!

I’ve also fitted a larger clutch cover so oil capacity is now 1.4 lt, just look at the service intervals on the CCM 450 and the 1 lt oil capacity on that and you’ll get the picture that a 500 KTM even ridden at a very interesting pace is not hard on the engine.

CCM say they've increased the service intervals by controlling the power - you know what? You can do that with your right hand to!

2nd if you can seriously rag the nuts of a 500 for the full 20hours between oil changes you’d be sponsored by red bull have free bikes and not give a shite anyway :D

If I bought a 500 and kitted it out for the kind of riding I’d be doing which is basically nothing anything more brutal than forest tracks when loaded up for a 2-3 week holiday so I’d be expecting to drop the oil every 3 days at the worst. All you need to do is keep a 2 litre container to drain it into at the end of the day when it’s nice and warm, fill it and put the old oil into the bottles you’ve just emptied. It’s not exactly a big deal and I’ve seen an employee of bike magazine drain his oil into a bag full of straw then chuck it on the fire :blast

Just an observation but Amercia holds some far better riding than the TAT, or at least the TAT from the East coast up to the Rockies. I wanted to do the TAT but two people who'd done it said the East was pretty boring and that the Continetal Divide trail from Canada to Mexico down the Rockies was much more fun.

In the end I ended up doing the Colorado and Utah BDR's (Backcountry Discovery Routes) plus some other stuff. Great riding and absolutely stunning scenery. Not as adventourous as my ride to Mongolia but the scenery was more stunning than anything in the Stans and Mongolia.

The TAT obviously has it's place but people more experienced than me say avoid the East unless you want to say you've ridden coast to coast.

Just an observation but Amercia holds some far better riding than the TAT, or at least the TAT from the East coast up to the Rockies. I wanted to do the TAT but two people who'd done it said the East was pretty boring and that the Continetal Divide trail from Canada to Mexico down the Rockies was much more fun.

In the end I ended up doing the Colorado and Utah BDR's (Backcountry Discovery Routes) plus some other stuff. Great riding and absolutely stunning scenery. Not as adventourous as my ride to Mongolia but the scenery was more stunning than anything in the Stans and Mongolia.

The TAT obviously has it's place but people more experienced than me say avoid the East unless you want to say you've ridden coast to coast.

That's an interesting point you make. One of the problems I face doing the TAT is unlike me my two riding mates wife's are fire breathing dragons :D and there is no way either of them would be allowed away for more than two weeks. With that in mind a shorter version of the TAT may be the answer, or I need to go on a more organised trip with others. Don't do camping though so need five star hotels along the way :D

Back
Top Bottom