Handlebar Vibration cheap hack fixed

Deleted account 191119001

Reaction score
Well this is just a cheap prototype, it certainly worked for me and reduced the vibrations to a point my hand did not fall asleep, it costs nothing to try, I hope it helps others, and you can certainly add to the idea, all info welcome, I put it on both sides, but have a gut feeling only the throttle side is needed, when I can get back out again later, I will remove the clutch side to see the difference.

Interesting that the addition of such a small extra mass can damp the vibes so much. Sell the idea to TT for half a Mil :D

Interesting that the addition of such a small extra mass can damp the vibes so much. Sell the idea to TT for half a Mil :D

Well maybe because the vibes are high pitch it absorbed enough to make a difference, going to try with some thicker rubber when I find some, to see what difference that makes.

Have you tried filling the bars with lead pellets?

What vibes ? Did they put XR bars on your GS ? :aidan

Nah its not that bad, but at certain engine revs, does tingle quite a bit in the hand, could also be a carpian syndrome crap, but the rubber calmed it down quite a lot, as for the pellets, just looking for something simple without taking bars to pieces, as for the placebo effect its a bit like a TFT screen..........:green gri

Nah its not that bad, but at certain engine revs, does tingle quite a bit in the hand, could also be a carpian syndrome crap, but the rubber calmed it down quite a lot, as for the pellets, just looking for something simple without taking bars to pieces, as for the placebo effect its a bit like a TFT screen..........:green gri
Right hand bar end weight off with bike on sidestand and wheel turned to the left. Tip in lead diving pellets. Has to be simpler than your method. http://www.aquanauts.co.uk/loose-le...MIsYyJ6vra2gIVirHtCh1CawC6EAYYAiABEgIQw_D_BwE

Might try that but silicon or rubber pellets instead to try the best of both worlds, just out of pure curiosity.........:beerjug:

Needs to be lead. Bar end weights are made as heavy as possible and would not work if made from silicon or rubber.

Needs to be lead. Bar end weights are made as heavy as possible and would not work if made from silicon or rubber.

OK ta, got some evotech bar end weights arriving maybe tomorrow or monday, might make some interesting experiences, however once again, its out of pure curiosity, the bars are not that bad, just a tad annoying.

Tom, the silicon is intended to be pumped throughout the handlebars, that's what I've done on my 640 which are notorious for vibration.

With my 1150 I've changed the steel bars to a pair of Maguras without end weights, one of the many benefits is less vibration now (not that there ever was that much) :)

Just something to watch out for if filling with silicon ... on my hexhead I injected the bars with silicon and subsequently discovered there's a drain hole on the underside in the middle, make sure to blank/tape it off before filling! Other than the hole they're effectively sealed so the silicon takes an age to set and will weep through the hole for months!

I've ordered some Evotech bar end weights for my LC, hopefully an easy fix. Vibes nothing like as bad as the hexhead but annoying.

Stu.

I filled my bars with lead shot. There was no detectable difference in vibration.
Large end weights from 50mm stainless tube filled with lead helped a lot.
The end plates are large stainless repair washers. Just drill through after casting the lead.

In the end all was just a placebo effect, I put a pair of gloves 1 size larger on and tingling in fingers went away. :blast

I get slated for mentioning it but many hand/forearm problems are due to poor neck and shoulder posture. The nerves get irritated at the spine and/or first rib with handlebar vibration being the final straw. Add some arthritic change in the vertebrae and nerve roots get even more compromised. Chiropractic/osteopathy works but its slated by so many as just snake oil that it never gets a chance to shine. Saying that, I work from two GP practices and treat the staff, nurses and GPs.

Bikers suffer more than some because neck muscles get built up against wind blast which adds to the muscle imbalances that cause round shoulders etc.

I get slated for mentioning it but many hand/forearm problems are due to poor neck and shoulder posture. The nerves get irritated at the spine and/or first rib with handlebar vibration being the final straw. Add some arthritic change in the vertebrae and nerve roots get even more compromised. Chiropractic/osteopathy works but its slated by so many as just snake oil that it never gets a chance to shine. Saying that, I work from two GP practices and treat the staff, nurses and GPs.

Bikers suffer more than some because neck muscles get built up against wind blast which adds to the muscle imbalances that cause round shoulders etc.

There's a lot of truth in what you say.
The tingling and numb right hand is much worse for me after I damaged my spinal cord in a fall at home.

Keeping the neck and upper body flexible with light massage and exercise helps to reduce the problems.
Fitting foam grips such as Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies is also worth a try.

I find it's worse wearing my summer gloves, the thinner constitution of them. The best I've found so far are the RST adventure.

I'll never give up biking because of the problem, I'll just put up with it and work round it.

Cheers Dave.

Back
Top Bottom