How easy to turn the back wheel by hand?

Sweaty Sock

Reaction score
I am used to the resistance of spinning the rear wheel on a chain driven bike, and as a relative newby to BMW with only 2 years service, I am curious about why so difficult it is to spin the rear wheel on my 1150.
Having read about the infamous rear bearing issues I am now paranoid (only now?) about their immediate demise.:eek:
There's no sticking or notchiness, just a reluctance to spin freely - I am correct to assume that the shaft mass is responsible. :confused:

I am used to the resistance of spinning the rear wheel on a chain driven bike, and as a relative newby to BMW with only 2 years service, I am curious about why so difficult it is to spin the rear wheel on my 1150.
Having read about the infamous rear bearing issues I am now paranoid (only now?) about their immediate demise.:eek:
There's no sticking or notchiness, just a reluctance to spin freely - I am correct to assume that the shaft mass is responsible. :confused:
Perfectly normal

take the caliper off the disc, should spin reasonably easily
your caliper could be a bit sticky

There will be some resistance to free wheeling due to the meshing of gears, the viscosity of gear and driveline oil and finally, abrasion from the brake pads touching (if any) on the disc.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

With the caliper off, it should 'spin' really easily. But it won't spin for long because as already mentioned, the drag from the gears,oil etc. will quickly slow it down.

Incidentally, with the caliper off and rotating/spinning the wheel, there should be next to no noise or even vague lumpyness. Signs of either I would take as service time for that big bearing (fairly easy job on the bike 1150, so don't worry thunmb:2

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There's always going to be some drag with the brake caliper attached due to it being a single sided dual piston setup with a little permanent resistance from the (x 2) rubber sleeve, a new set of rear brake pads will have one thicker pad to compensate for more wear on one side.

Back
Top Bottom