Campfires?

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I'm a couple of weeks away from my first motorbike camping adventure (7 days with cooking every day) and getting my kit together; I've bought a few different stoves (seem to be be getting obsessed!) and planning on mostly using a wood gasifier stove that will run off wood or methylated spirits, and a small gas stove as a backup and for when I want something quick and easy.. With this in mind I was only planning on taking one little 100 gram gas canister, maybe two, but I believe some campsites don't allow real fires?

I'm planning on Scotland if the weather is good, if not I'll probably catch the eurotunnel and camp in France, Belgium and Germany, and possibly Luxembourg.. With this in mind what are these areas (including Scotland) usually like for allowing small, controlled fires that are off the ground?

Cheers.

In my (limited) experience, it's entirely down to individual campsites, rather than areas. In the UK at least, campsites have cottoned on to the fact that campers enjoy a campfire, and make it clear on their websites or campsite booking agent summaries if they're permitted or not, which enables travellers to plan ahead if having a fire in the evening is part of the decision of where to go. Some sites provide a firepit or raised iron grate for each pitch, and some of these even sell wood at the site shop, which gives the campsite a pleasant Pagan festival atmosphere of a Summer's evening. It also shows that the campsite has a responsible attitude towards the combination of roaring fires, copious alcohol, and tinder-dry woodland/meadows (although the latter component isn't usually an issue for UK camping...)

Probably don't need to mention this, but will anyway. If you're going away with new kit, and if you have access to a garden, try it all out before you go. The first time using any kit is a faff; a bit of practice will greatly reduce the time required to set up, operate, pack down small, and not leave any bits behind in the long grass.

Have a great trip!

In my (limited) experience, it's entirely down to individual campsites, rather than areas. In the UK at least, campsites have cottoned on to the fact that campers enjoy a campfire, and make it clear on their websites or campsite booking agent summaries if they're permitted or not, which enables travellers to plan ahead if having a fire in the evening is part of the decision of where to go. Some sites provide a firepit or raised iron grate for each pitch, and some of these even sell wood at the site shop, which gives the campsite a pleasant Pagan festival atmosphere of a Summer's evening. It also shows that the campsite has a responsible attitude towards the combination of roaring fires, copious alcohol, and tinder-dry woodland/meadows (although the latter component isn't usually an issue for UK camping...)

Probably don't need to mention this, but will anyway. If you're going away with new kit, and if you have access to a garden, try it all out before you go. The first time using any kit is a faff; a bit of practice will greatly reduce the time required to set up, operate, pack down small, and not leave any bits behind in the long grass.

Have a great trip!

Cheers for the info, much appreciated.. I've been playing about with my cooking gear in preparation. 😉

Might sound logical, but if you are making any kind of fire, beware of wind and direction.

Cheers.. I'm not too bad with fires, being a firefighter and all.. ��

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Campsite that allow open fires are usually few and far between. Just phone em up and ask them.
I ask if they allow BBQs?
Invariably, in Scotland, they yes, if you avoid scotching the grass.
But some campsites on the continent don't allow any kind of fire, apart from a stove. The fire risk is just too high.

I have one of these.
https://www.alpinstore.com/en/mount...MIk8uI_pns2gIVyrftCh2AmAb_EAQYAiABEgLP6_D_BwE
Fits nicely into a pannier. When you've finished cooking - just throw a few sticks on ...
So long as it isn't roaring flames, I've never had any comments.

Well I'll be taking this:
https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit
and this that fits inside of a ridge monkey copy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unigear-Foldable-Stainless-Burning-Backpacking/dp/B072KGL1H1
TF Gear Camping Sandwich Toaster Grill, Cooks Toasties, Breakfast and More! Ideal for Fishing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LB8N5JM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_i_78z7AbXWWCYJ4

I'll be leaving this at home, as good as it is it'll take up too much room:

Camping Stove Lixada Stainless Steel Lightweight Wood Stove Solidified Alcohol Stove Portable Outdoor Cooking Picnic BBQ with Mesh Bag https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O600WR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_i_o.z7AbH96XDBB

learned from experience. Not all gas canisters fit all stoves as we found out a few years ago. We struggled to get the right replacement gas cartridge in france for a uk bought stove. Do some research on your model if possible.

learned from experience. Not all gas canisters fit all stoves as we found out a few years ago. We struggled to get the right replacement gas cartridge in france for a uk bought stove. Do some research on your model if possible.

Which is why I'd never camp abroad without my trusty Optimus nova.Runs on almost any liquid, it's efficient, robust and rebuild able. Good luck

So I'm a couple of weeks away from my first motorbike camping adventure (7 days with cooking every day) and getting my kit together; I've bought a few different stoves (seem to be be getting obsessed!) and planning on mostly using a wood gasifier stove that will run off wood or methylated spirits, and a small gas stove as a backup and for when I want something quick and easy.. With this in mind I was only planning on taking one little 100 gram gas canister, maybe two, but I believe some campsites don't allow real fires?

I'm planning on Scotland if the weather is good, if not I'll probably catch the eurotunnel and camp in France, Belgium and Germany, and possibly Luxembourg.. With this in mind what are these areas (including Scotland) usually like for allowing small, controlled fires that are off the ground?

Cheers.

Looking forward to the pics :thumb2

I usually carry only a Jetboil (which is same as your Alpkit Brukit). It's sufficient if I travel solo and is a good backup for when I travel in group.

I am not good at the fire that's why my father performs such things. We prefer to use the white gas stove in snowy areas.

I thought I'd add for anyone looking at this thread, Red Squirrel Campsite in Glencoe is one of the few campsites in Scotland that allow campfires.

Back
Top Bottom