GS/GSGD Screens

G.C.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a Dakar out as a loaner today, my G S was in for its 6 K service.

I could not believe the difference the screen made !!! It annoyed me around town with the constant vibrations and I thought it looked crap, but what a revelation when out on the road, managed to cover about 100 miles on mostly, good B roads. The noise was down by about 60% and the buffering was, well it wasn’t ! EH

Overall, I was happy to get my GS back for the 70 mile trip home, but the difficult decision for me to make is do I want the black or the clear Dakar screen ? Or is there a better one ? ? ? ? ? ?

G C (dont care about the looks, function over form) :beerjug:

My bike had the Dakar screen when I bought it, and I found it a bit low and narrow.
However, I was approaced by a stranger outside the local bikers cafe, who asked me if I'd like a taller screen .
When my answer was in the afirmative he produced a almost new Wunderlich Ergo Touring screen from the boot of his car.
A little cash changed hands, about 30% of the new cost, and we fitted it on the spot. It is just about perfect for it's intended use.
It is shaped pretty much like the screen on the 1150 adventure, wider at the bottom to link up with the handgrips, and higher with a distinct flip at the top.
It fixes to the top two standard fixings, and the front screws of the four on the indicator bracket.
The PO had made a couple of extension strips to bring the bottom of the screen forward an inch or so, giving the screen a shallower slope and reducing the hieght slightly, and the screen suit me best with these fitted.
It does the job perfectly - I tucked in behind an overtaking Hyabusa and got it redlining in top with no turbulence or buffeting at all-only the limiter stopped me going faster.!

Ergo sounds like a dream - is it a 4 hole fitting 2004 - onwards? If so would definitely like to track one down.

Thanks

:beerjug:

The (clear) screen arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night, had the bike over to Fife today, so about a 300 mile round trip……..not impressed ??!!!!
I shall have a play about with spacers and attempt to give the top end some more height, just had a thought I was wearing my new Aria lid today and not the Shoei, that may have contributed, I’ll try it with the Shoei, but the wind was definitely hitting me and it wasn’t on the Dakar, confused and disappointed, oh and £60 quid out of pocket ! :confused:

G C

GC is your bike an 04?

if so I had a similar experience. I picked up a pre 04 bike with Dakar screen and found the lack of wind noise astounding.

I have the `04 Dakar screen on my GS and its as usefull as tits on a bull.

I`ve tried using longer bolts and wedging the back up to tilt it forward but I`m wasting my time.

I wait in hope for an after market screen producer to build an `04 version.

Dave Hall said:
GC is your bike an 04?

Yes Dave it sure is, but the Dakar I had as a loaner was an 05, which AFAIK is the same bike ? I shall try some adjustments and the next time I'm in Inverness I'll call into Calterdon's and compare them side by side.
I did'nt really mind the buffering/ wind noise untill I noticed the lack of it on the Dakar, now I want it gone.

Cheers
G C

I have an '05 GS and I was going to buy a Dakar screen but if there's not that much difference I will wait and see what comes up as an after market option.
I was wondering if the bigger front wheel on the Dakar lifts the front enough to make the screen higher in relation to the seat.

I think the problem with the `04 onwards Dakar screen is that it does`nt sweep up at the end of the blade...in fact it seems to sweep down and does`nt deflect air over the riders head.

I tilted mine up by placing rubber wedges behind it yet the air flow was still deflected in my face.

The Wunderlich Catalogue isn't much help when it comes to fitment , as it doesnt give a year.
However,if it is any help, the top fixing holes are approx 233 mm apart and the top fixing points on my bike are 50mm down from the speedo shelf.
The position of the bottom holes is not as critical , as it is a simple job to make up a little bracket out of 19 by 3mm aluminium strip to connect from the front indicator screw to were you want the bottom of the screen to be.
There is a post somewhere where the poster had incorporated a window stay and I have seen a bike with a wire strainer wire strainer in place of the flat strip to give instant adjustability of the rake and hieght of the screen

Nye, have a look here

Trevor, ( as always) has some valid points.

I was so taken with the difference between the two bikes buffering that I attributed it all to the screen. Obviously its not that simple. I’ll keep trying / adjusting and let you know if I find a solution.

My 650GS is 1 year old today :hpbirthda and makes me smile every time I ride her :D :cool: :D

G C

Tobinators

Trevor's brackets seem to do the trick. Shame a comercial kit isn't available. Perhaps what we need here are tobinators fitted to the higher BMW screen. A shame the tobinators aren't available for the 650 (yet).

I've just taken my Dakar in for a service today, and they gave me a very new, and very orange CS650 for the day while they work on mine. I can't believe how well the screen works, on the Dakar at about 60-70 there lots of turbulence, on this the airflow is much much smoother. The screen on the CS is much smaller but also quite a bit further forwards. After riding this I'm going to have to do something about the screen on the Dakar....

Got one of the Cee Bailey's screens for an 05 Dakar (link posted above) - used it for 2 weeks round Norway and am not convinced. It seems to deflect the wind around to the side of the head - seem to get more buffeting to the sides of the helmet leaving my head bouncing about although it does reduce the full face buffeting. Swapped back to the original black screen and although the wind in the face is more, the wind is a steadier flow and it is actually more comfortable than the head shaking buffeting. :banghead:

I wouldn't rule this out though - maybe worth a go for others. I'll probably put it back on but keep an eye out for for something better.

Hope this is some help.

:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0326 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0326 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 152

Back
Top Bottom